Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Endocrinologists in India. You will find Endocrinologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Endocrinologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. K Muralidharan
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Pre And Post Delivery Care
Sperm Donor Program
Adult Diabetes Treatment
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. K MuralidharanYour feedback matters!
I am having thyroid n was on medication if 87.5 mg. But I got my thyroid test yesterday n I got it 8.25. What should I do.
My father are sugar person then me are sugar person or not what I do for low sugar. What I do for sugar level is come fall down.
My son is type 1 diabetes under insulin treatment, He is taking 10 -0-0 Lantus 3-3-3 humalog, now the sugar levels are in control. What happens if he stops the insulin. If the sugar levels are normal, can we stop insulin.
Diabetes is a serious health problem that affects millions throughout the world. It is a disorder that has almost no cure and can lead to serious problems related to vision, kidney failure, gangrene of the toes and feet, tingling numbness and loss of sensation in the lower extremities and many more. While currently available medication tries to regulate your blood sugar levels, it fails to control damage on various organs listed above in the long term. Furthermore insulin can lead to further weight gain and worsening of diabetes in the obese people.
Bariatric Surgery has now been recognised as a treatment option for the obese diabetics by most major diabetic associations across the world, the ADA (American Diabetic Association) the IDF (International Diabetes Federation) etc.
So how exactly does Bariatric Surgery work?
Diabetes can be of three basic kinds;
- Type 1 diabetes in which the pancreas produces no insulin and insulin requirement is mandatory.
- Gestational Diabetes which occurs during pregnancy and usually disappears after it
- Type 2 diabetes or adult onset diabetes that usually comes around middle age and is associated with weight again in atleast 80% of people. However type 2 Diabetes is now even seen in adolescence and is a cause for worry.
Bariatric surgery proves to be most beneficial for obese patients with early Type 2 diabetes.
Insulin is produced by the beta cells of the pancreas to control glucose levels from the food we eat but fat cells are insulin resistant and do not allow insulin to act to its normal capacity therefore in a type 2 diabetic the pancreas produces more insulin but it never seems enough and eventually the pancreatic cells burn out. Another cause is that the liver in an obese individual has decreased insulin sensitivity further compounding the problem.
Bariatric Surgery firstly works by decreasing the calorie intake, this in turn leads to weight loss which also means fat loss so decreased insulin resistance, it also decreases fatty liver, NAFLD (Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease) and this I turn improves liver insulin sensitivity.
- It further increases gut hormones like GLP1 and PYY good for the diabetics and decreases those hormones, which are not good for the diabetics.
- Bariatric surgery also exercises a control over cholesterol, blood pressure and triglyceride levels all of which along with high sugars can lead to higher incidence of a sudden heart attack (Acute Coronary Syndrome)
- Bariatric Surgery causes long term remission of the disease in type 2 diabetics decreasing damaging effects on the kidney, eyes and feet giving patients a chance to live better healthier lives with lesser complications.
What is a Bariatric surgery?
- Bariatric surgery doesn't refer to a single operative method. It involves a host of surgical procedures conducted on a person to rid him or her of obesity.
- It might include reduction of the size of your stomach, removal of a portion of the stomach, or even bypassing portions of the stomach and intestine.
The commonest Bariatric Surgeries performed are
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: Where the stomach is converted into a thin tube of about 100 ml capacity producing early satiety. About 2/3rds of the stomach is surgically removed, removing a major part of the cells producing the hunger hormone ‘ghrelin’ thus decreasing craving for food.
- Gastric bypass surgery: This process involves dividing the stomach into a tiny pouch at the upper end of about 30 ml capacity and connecting it directly to the middle portion of small intestine thus bypassing about 90% of the stomach and the first part of the small intestine. The food you eat going directly from the top part of the stomach into the intestine.
- There are other surgeries as well that bypass major portions of the small
- Intestine but are usually reserved for extreme cases.
Do I need to take multivitamins and proteins for life after this surgery?
- Most Bariatric surgeries necessitate you to take multivitamins for life. Vit B12, Calcium and Iron being the common ones, one may also need Vit D supplements. This is necessary as your food intake comes down and some surgeries bypass absorptive areas of the stomach and small intestine.
- Protein supplementation may be needed in the early stages but not in the long term in most surgeries except in the extreme cases as recommended by your surgeon.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
My blood sugar level 143/271 & urea- 28, creatine - 1.5 take medicine Glisen MF forty 1 mg two times ,pls advice me to how to recovery this.
Good evening sir, 41 f, I'm thyroid patient, since 8 years, previously check tsh it's 0.4, that's why drop tab Weekly once, suffering from wrist bone pain from 2-3 minutes, I can't lift weights, please give me advise.
Hello I am (male) from Bangalore I have diabetes at low level suffering from overweight. Loss of sex pls inform what I do any good suggestion? Pls.
What is the procedure for infertility treatment. I also wanted to know the cost of the procedure. Can anyone explain.
Lifestyle changes along with homeopathy to help you treat diabetes
I am Dr. Prabha Acharya from Global Homeopathy practicing from last twenty-five years, Majorally dealing with hormonal disturbances and to talk to you about role of homeopathy in diabetes a patient came to me saying, doctor, I have been diagnosed with diabetes though it doesn't run in my family and jokingly live life actually no one runs in your family then life is not over. With diabetes it's but the beginning of discipline and who shall outlive others and make the excellent state of health.
At global homeopathy diabetes is treated holistically prevention and treatment includes healthy diet physical exercise and maintenance of health body weight along with heavy mind. At global homeopathy we help in to attain it for a detailed case taking homeopathy. Prescription along with cause dietary modifications and weight management by our in-house dietitian was a long play. Homeopathy helps at various levels. All borderline cases are completely treated with homeopathy alone. Often patients coming to us are already on insulin or hold oral hypoglycemic drugs. ln such cases we advise to continue the conventional medications and start from Homeopathy simultaneously over miles as blood sugar levels should consistent control. We reduce the dose of insulin or oral hypoglycemic drugs in consultation with diagnotologist till they can take them of preventing and most importantly homeopathy aids in preventing complications.
Homeopathy prescription takes into account not only medical history but family history past history physical and psychological characteristics of the patient this helps to find the calls precipitating factors and healthy treat tendencies in case of diabetes. So, friends homeopathy medicines healthy diet exercise and a positive state of mind is complete cure to that you may have diabetes don't let diabetes have you.
Thank you so Friends you can contact me for further information through lybrate.com. Thank you once again.