Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. K.M. Ganapathy
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. K.M. GanapathyYour feedback matters!
I am having pain in my neck sometimes when I wake up in the morning with little swelling. so, what should I do?
Sir, I have slip disc problem in L5S1 two years back. I consulted a neurologist and was checked. MRI was also done. I am regularly taking physiotherapy and doing exercises prescribed by the physiotherapist. But minor pain still persists in my back left side and I use back pad for the safety while travelling and working. Can you please suggest me some good exercises and precaution methods to take care of my back. I shall be thankful and grateful to you. My age is 40 years. I drive two wheeler occasionally, whether it is safe, please guide me. Any more suggestions from your side will be highly appreciated. Thanks and Regards.
Sir, My mother is so obsessed with cleaning household things and washing hands that she used to wash hands before doing relatively every work and this is happening for last 2 year but previously she was not so much obsessed and sir she is losing weight, she looks weak now and that hurts my family a lot we can not see her doing uselessly doing such work and cleaning things and secondly her hands and basically index finger is swelling but she ignores every time we ask to consult a doctor, sir please tell me why are hands swelling (in winters) and how we can cure them. Sir there is dryness also so sir please tell me how we can cure that. And sir previously she was suffering from eczema in hands.
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more of your joints. Pain, swelling, and stiffness are the primary symptoms of arthritis. Any joint in the body may be affected by the disease, but it is particularly common in the knee.
Knee arthritis can make it hard to do many everyday activities, such as walking or climbing stairs. It is a major cause of lost work time and a serious disability for many people. There are 2 types of arthritis the knee joint in the human body can get afflicted with. They are:
Osteoarthritis: The form of arthritis which, with increasing pain, slowly wears down the joint cartilages is called osteoarthritis. This form of arthritis usually affects people after the age 40. The symptoms of osteoarthritis include:
- severe pain in the knee joints
- pain after walking up the stairs and it subsiding once you are on rest
- severe pain after the movement of joints for a long time
- pain that becomes worse in rainy days
- joints becoming stiff after waking up in the morning but they improve in the latter part of the day
- pain which also occurs in the thighs and the genital regions coupled with joints swelling and joints getting stiff after rest.
Rheumatoid Arthritis: Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic form of arthritis caused because of the knee joint inflammations. This form of arthritis can occur at any age. Being an auto-immune disease, its symptoms include, but are not limited to:
- severe pain in the morning
- mild fever accompanying the pain
- joints suddenly becoming swollen, red and warm causing, immense pain
- sudden stiffness of the joints
- pain that increases in cold weather
- mild fever, extreme tiredness and weakening of the muscles
Doctors are still doubtful about what exactly causes the disease; but the deformation of the immune system might cause the damage of the joints, causing people who are already suffering from obesity, smokers, and women, in general, more prone to this disease.
When the knee pain is diagnosed as a form of arthritis, the following treatments are suggested:
- If you are overweight or obese, losing some of those extra pounds can go a long way in reducing the pain.
- Muscle-stretching exercises are effective in keeping the knee joints flexible.
- Acupuncture and devices such as knee braces and knee caps can relieve the pain.
- Prescribed dosage of anti-inflammatory drugs such as Tylenol, Motrin, and Advil or injections of hyaluronic acid might relieve your pain.
- If regular treatments do not work, you might opt for knee-replacement surgery and osteotomy (the process of cutting a bone with the help of surgery) which might better the alignment of the knee by transforming the bone shapes.
Physiotherapy For Knee Arthritis-
Physiotherapy treatment is aimed at improving the symptoms of the disease (i.e. knee pain, swelling, stiffness), and you should begin to notice a positive difference within one or a few physiotherapy sessions.
The main goals of physiotherapy for your knee arthritis are:
- Reduce your knee pain and inflammation.
- Normalise your knee joint range of motion.
- Strengthen your knee: esp quadriceps (esp VMO) and hamstrings.
- Strengthen your lower limb: calves, hip and pelvis muscles.
- Improve your patellofemoral (knee cap) alignment and function.
- Normalise your muscle lengths.
- Improve your proprioception, agility and balance.
- Improve your technique and function eg walking, squatting.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am 23 year old. I have a neck pain since a last 2 year. I used so many treatment but does not effect anything. Now what can I do for that?
Osteoporosis is a disease that affects the bones of a patient. This is most commonly found in women, especially in those women who are close to or going through menopause. Hormonal changes around this period in a woman's life usually lead to various changes in her body. One of these changes include loss of bone tissue which can leave the patient with brittle and weak bones, a condition that is also known as osteoporosis. This condition literally imbibes the word porous, meaning hollow bones. It is born from an acute deficiency of calcium and vitamin D. The DEXA Scan or bone density test, also known as the Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry Scan, is one of the most effective tests that can help you in detecting this kind of damage or thinning bones. Here's why.
- Fractures: The DEXA Scan is an important one because it sends low energy beam to areas like your joints and tissues to show how susceptible you are to fractures. It does so by measuring the strength of the tissues as well as the bones to see how brittle they may be.
- Other Ailments: Measuring the thinning of your bones can also point to the presence of other ailments that may have gone unnoticed or undetected, earlier. These can include kidney disease, hyperparathyroidism which happens due to overactive secretions of the said gland, as well as liver disease due a malfunctioning liver, intestinal disease and various disorders in the intestinal tract, and a serious vitamin D deficiency. With this scan, you can get an insight into the other parts of the body affected by the bone density and whether or not they are functioning properly.
- Estrogen: Simply checking the estrogen levels cannot ascertain whether or not you have osteoporosis, as a high estrogen level can be credited to a particularly heavy period cycle. It does not show the bone health the way a DEXA Scan does.
- Easy and Standardised: This method of scanning usually happens with the help of a mounted X ray machine type, hand held gadget which can be extended to conduct the scan. This is an easy and standardised method that releases low levels of radiation which also makes it a healthier option.
- Bone Density Scores: The T Scores and Z scores point towards the bone density and help in diagnosing the condition efficiently. With a systematic scoring system, it is a sure shot test for osteoporosis.
Osteoporosis is a serious condition. The first step in treating the same is to get a detailed scan like the DEXA scan done, so as to test the extent of the bone thinning to ensure that proper and timely treatment takes place. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!