Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Surgeons in India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy Procedure
Treatment of Lumpectomy
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Kidney Stones Treatment
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Accident Injuries Treatment
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Prostate Laser Surgery
Urinary Incontinence Surgery
Stem Cell Transplant
Post Induction Therapy
Post Induction Transplant
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. K.M.CherianYour feedback matters!
I am having some kind of spots on my shoulder and back to which are increasing day by day. What should I do?
I have some white not pure white (light yellowish) colours stains on my neck. I change my shampoo and take medicine but it doesn't effect. Give me some suggestion.
I have fungal infection and due to that I have ringworms on my neck and chest and I am also facing high hairfall. This issue is there from last 6 months, earlier it was very less but now it has increased and also hairfall is very much high. How can I treat this. Please refer a medicine.
I have so many blackheads and whiteheads in my forehead from two years I had tried everything but they are still there please suggest me some solution of these?
Hi. I am 27 years of age. Having a problem of black upper lips. They look black even after doing threading. What should be done?
Hi I'm aged 18. I have oily skin. Usually the area around my nose, between lower lip and chin and slightly on my cheeks. I use garner 6 in 1 face wash. It temporarily heals it for maybe like an hour or two. But I need permanent solution. please give me a proper suggestion, medication, measures and what products to use. Thank you.
I'm 19 years old male. I have black skin tone and small holes on my cheeks. What I have to do to get result.
I have white spot on my body please let me know either any tube (Cream) or Any type of tablet or syrup to remove the white spot from the body.
My wife aged 60 having white and black small patches on her hands and stomach. Can you prescribe some remedy.
My face skin is getting darker day by day due to this winter. What should I do to keep my skin fresh and could restriction it from being dark?
I keep on getting dried black blood spots whenever I bleed. Ik this is common for everyone but I need to know how to remove the black dried blood quick and how to avoid it too.
He has dark skin but colour of neck differ from other which is light .how to reduce tanning an sunburn.
I'm 19 years old n my fiance is 24 years old we both intimate but when it come to my breast part its pain a lot while he sucking it and touching when he sucks it he bite my nipple also its feel like i'm feeding my baby so is there any side effect of this.
I have an accident so I got some marks on my face of stitches. Nd cuts. So should I have a plastic surgery or laser surgery.
I had a lump (knot) in my right breast since 2003, which is painless. But during my periods it pains. I am 24 years old. Is that cancer?
Lump discovered please help Hi, I have never had a lump in my breast before I'm 24 years old and I'm worried. The lump is on the same side as where I had an abscess removed recently. It's red and inflamed on the outside and tender to touch. Wondering what it could be, thanks x.
Hey, I am 19 years old. I want to make make whiten my oily skin. What I do? And also how I remove blackheads and acne? Can you please give me some advise.
Pigmentation of the skin is a medical term, which refers to the phenomena of colouring. Our skin is made up of cells that produce a pigment named melanin. The colour of the skin largely depends on the production of melanin. If more melanin is produced, the skin looks darker and vice-versa. When the melanin producing cells are damaged due to long exposure to sunlight, pregnancy or any other disease, pigmentation of the skin takes place. The skin may get dark entirely or in patches due to pigmentation. In some cases, decolouration takes place or white patches are formed on the skin.
Causes and Types of Pigmentation
The type of skin pigmentation depends on the cause behind it. Here are some of the common causes and types:
- Melanin: The skin colour varies from one person to another due to the presence of a pigment called melanin. It is produced by melanocytes cells in our body. Melanin protects our skin from damage on exposure to sunlight. When we spend long hours under the sun, the melanin production is increased. This gives a tanned look.
- Freckles: These are caused by clusters of melanin. These gets accumulated or concentrated in clusters on being exposed to sunrays.
- Liver Spots/Age Spots: These are also known as solar lentigos. This can be due to ageing or excessive exposure to UV rays.
- Birthmarks: These are referred to the irregular blemish that appears on any part of the body soon after birth or at the time of birth. These are of two types: vascular and pigmented.
- Melasma/Chloasma Faciei: This is usually found in pregnant women. It occurs due to the over-activation of melanocytes as there is a hormonal imbalance.
- Post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation: This refers to inflammation as a result of inflammation caused by trauma.
Treatment: There are several ways to treat skin pigmentation. There are medicines and cosmetics available in the markets, which help in getting rid of the pigmentation. Skin pigmentation can also be tackled by certain home-based remedies. Here are some of these remedies:
- Milk and honey face pack: Milk is known to contain lactic acid. Apply a mixture of milk and honey on the affected part of the skin. This makes the hyper pigmented skin lighter in colour.
- Vegetable juices: Some vegetables like tomatoes, cucumber and potato are effective in getting rid of the skin pigments. Cut slices of these vegetables and rub them over the affected parts. The juices from these vegetables will lighten the pigmented part.
- Avocado magic: It is advisable to peel off an avocado and apply its juice with honey over the affected area.
- Add Vitamin E to your diet: Include foods rich in vitamin E in your meals. It helps in restoring the pigmented skin back to its normal form.
- Face mask: There are several face masks available that can work wonder in curing pigmentation of the skin. You can use face packs containing oatmeal, honey, sandalwood, turmeric powder, raw milk, and orange powder.
- Sun screen: It is important to guard your skin against the ultraviolet rays. UV rays lead to pigmentation of the skin. So, apply a sunscreen lotion or cream before stepping out of your home.
- Take up some exercise: A key to a healthy skin is a good lifestyle. One must exercise regularly to maintain proper blood circulation throughout the body. Proper flow of blood keeps the skin healthy and free from pigmentation.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol and cigarettes: The consumption of alcohol and cigarettes leads to the generation of toxins in our blood stream. This is harmful to our skin.
- Cocoa butter: It has nourishing and de-tanning effects on the skin. Use a cream that contains cocoa butter extracts on daily basis.
- Oil massage: Certain oils like olive and almond are good for treating damaged skin. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist and ask a free question.