Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Neurosurgeons in India. You will find Neurosurgeons with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurosurgeons online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Treatment of Spine Injuries
Brain Tumor Surgery
Treatment of Disc Prolapse
Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
Accident Injuries Treatment
Spine Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. JyothikumarYour feedback matters!
I have brain seizure started after an accident at night six years back. My treatment is going on in deen dayal hospital. I take three eptoin at night & valparin 500 mg in morning and evening. I receive strokes sometimes during sleep even after taking medicine s. I have memory loss also & lack of understanding.
Hello sir/mam mere dost ka 1 din pehle accident hua hai uske dono pair mai fecture and ek haath mai fecture hai so usko aaj subha hosh aaya uske na toh sir par chot hai na face par helmet laga hua tha and wo kisi ko pehchan nhi raha thoda medicine ka nasha sa bhi hai use wo hospital mai admit hai apne papa ko uncle bol raha hai kya uski yaddast toh nhi gayi doctor acche se behaive kar raha dar kr bhi nhi bol raha normally bol raha mai uske saamne gaya mujhe bolta hai bhaiya aap kon maine kaha mai tera dost fir bolne laga mujhe paani de do peena hai uske bottle chad rahi hai and plaster ho raha hai toh kya problem hai use?
Although surgery is considered to be the first step of treatment in any form of tumor but its feasibility depends upon the type, size and location of the tumor. It is not necessary that every kind of brain tumor might require surgery.
Indications of Brain Tumor Surgery
- Diagnosis of the type of tumor by taking a sample of the tumor for laboratory examination
- Complete resection of tumor
- Removal of the tumor as much as possible to slow down its growth and improve the symptoms.
- Remove the tumor in order to help other treatment
- Provide direct access for other forms of treatment like chemotherapy, radiotherapy etc.
- To relieve pressure caused by tumor on surrounding structures
Types of Brain Tumor Surgery
The different types of surgery that are performed in cases of brain tumor include the following:
Craniotomy: Craniotomy is the most commonly performed procedure to remove brain tumor along with a piece of bone. The removed bone is replaced and the tumor is sent for histopathology (biopsy). The surgery is performed using a high end microscope by any of the following techniques:
- Extended bifrontal craniotomy
- "Eyebrow" craniotomy (supra-orbital craniotomy)
- "Keyhole" craniotomy (retro-sigmoid craniotomy)
- Orbitozygomatic craniotomy
- Translabyrinthine craniotomy
Shunt: A narrow piece of flexible tube with a pressure regulated valve in between is called a shunt. This is used to relieve the intracranial pressure caused by obstruction of the natural brain fluid (CSF) pathway by tumor mass. The procedure involves insertion of a drainage system into the brain to remove or drain excess of blocked fluid into the peritoneal cavity.
Stereotactic surgery: This surgery is done by creating a three-dimensional image called stereotaxy using computers. It aims to find out the location and position of the tumor. In fact it can also be done to aid tumor removal, implant radiation pellets or for other treatments.
Embolization: It is a procedure used to reduce the amount of blood supply to a tumor by blocking the blood flow in the selected arteries. It is generally performed before the main surgery.
Endoscopy and endoscope assisted surgery: Endoscope is the tool which helps to closely visualize the tissue through small openings in difficult to reach areas. This tool can be used in various brain surgeries to precisely reach the target location without damaging the adjacent structures.
Adjuvant modalities to improve outcome: In addition to above mentioned surgeries, following surgeries may also be performed in relation to brain tumor treatment:
Hi sir, before 7 months I had a seizure in sleep. Aftr than 3 days before I had the same. I had an eeg and something is abnormal in the report. Pls tell me what is the cause for that sudden seizure. None in my family has it.
I am a 23 year old girl and I have nerves problem in my legs from past few years. I have consulted a neurologist and I am currently on the medicines provided by him. But, my blood pressure has started fluctuating since few days. I am continuously having palpitations and a feeling of nausea.
Hey Doc, I keep getting cramps randomly all over my body, even in weird places like my face, neck and back of my head or on the upper side of my head. I am most worried about it on the back of my head (near the cerebellum) and on the upper head. It pains a lot and there is almost nothing I can do to prevent it. It occurs more frequently while I am lifting weights in the gym or after getting less sleep or when its very cold. It almost paralyses me and only stops when I start taking deep breaths. Is there some kind of problem? Should I consult my doctor or get some tests done? It really worries me. Also, is it normal to get cramps in the neck, because even thats scary. Please guide me on what action to take.
My uncle is suffering from brain TB from 24th dec 2014 today he is well but he cannot speak properly and he is not able to stand also. So how long it take to recover from this disease.
Hi. Every day I get Migraine and always feeling tired. Please help me to resolve this. Unable to open my eyes.
I am suffering from Spinal stenosis on D11-D12-L1 since last 10 years. Due to this I have weakness in both legs. I have also numbness in feet. I have problem in dorsiflexion and aversion of feet due to nerve weakness. So I can not up my feet like foot drop. I am taking medicine regularly but no relief. Dr. told for surgery. Please tell me risk of surgery.
It is not that very easy to get complete recovery after spinal surgery and for that you have to rely on different caring tips. Your surgeon can help you in this regard and can provide you a checklist containing different essential caring tips. You should follow those tips sincerely so that unwanted side-effects can be easily avoided.
Few caring tips after a spine surgery:
- Consumption of adequate amount of proteins: If the protein content is increased in your diet, then quickest recovery can be definitely expected. Muscle collagen can be strengthened and healed with the regular intake of the necessary amounts of protein. In fact, infectious conditions can be effectively dealt with by protein intake.
- Getting adequate rest: Proper rest is needed and you should have enough sleep for getting complete recovery. If your body needs some more sleep than the standard one, then you should go for the same. Your mood, memory and body will get refreshed and rejuvenated by taking proper sleep at night. In fact, you can also get rid of pains and other side-effects after surgery by taking rest.
- Taking nutritional supplements: There are a few essential nutrients that are needed after the surgical procedure and they are vitamin D, vitamin C, Omega-3 fatty-acids, magnesium and others. These nutritional elements are now available in the form of supplements and are readily available in the stores. Though these supplements are completely organic, but still you should start taking the same when doctors permit you. These supplements help in collagen healing and thus speedy recovery can be gained by taking them in a consistent manner. Muscle heath can be effectively protected by consuming these supplements.
- Acute hydration: Hydration is highly needed especially after spinal surgery so that toxin accumulation can be prevented. If you want to get proper hydration, then nothing can be a better option than drinking lots of water. In fact, spinal surgeons also recommend the same for avoiding surgical complications. Tea, coffee and sodas need to be completely replaced with water. Your system can be thoroughly cleaned by draining out toxins.
- Eliminating refined sugars from diet: Refined flour and sugary products are to be completely curtailed from regular diet; otherwise you might face severe complications. Your blood-sugar level needs to be regulated. If your immunity system gets suppressed, then you will be in great trouble and hence sugar should not be included in your diet at all.