Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Neurologists in India. You will find Neurologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Spine Surgery Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi) Treatment
Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi)
Assistive Walking Device Training
Vagus Nerve Stimulation ( Epilepsy )
Submit a review for Dr. Jayanthi ArulneyamYour feedback matters!
My wife is 45 years old, she is suffering from dis cognitive seiziers and 4 episodes are seen from 22 octomber to till date. Ct scane, eeg are normal. Oxetol 300 mg is sugested. Please tell me the resion and remidy ?
Hello, my age is 21 and I have problem of nightfalling I can not stop it sometime its continues 2 days how to stop it I feel very week after it my hand and legs shake and I ejaculate before sex I just touched her body with my penis its ejaculate only just touched and while kissing I ejaculate how to control it pls hlp me and I have not so confident to talk the girl whenever I talk to girl my voice like I am exist how is it tell me.
I am suffering from severe headache continuously if I have incomplete sleep and am having migraine. So what should I do for this.
migraine-: ayurvedic view
Migraine headaches are commonly defined as episodic or recurrent severe headaches, typically of a throbbing or stabbing nature, usually on one side of the head, the neck or behind the eye.
~~migraine pain commonly lasts for about 6 to 48hrs.
~~migraine is triggered by some factors which result in excessive stimulation (constriction and sudden dilatation) of blood vessels in the head.
~~migraine may or may not be preceded by an aura; aura may cause visual disturbances such as flashing lights, zig-zags, sparkles or blurring of a visual field.
~~migraine is associated with nausea, vomiting, dizziness and or cognitive disturbances.
~~patient may also experience chills, sweating, fatigue and weakness etc.
Improper metabolism, suppression of natural urges, anger, jealousy, grief, poor elimination, intake of dry, pungent and salty food, intake of polluted food, mental and physical stress, viewing of tv for long periods, reading with insufficient light, sleeplessness etc.
B. Origin of migraine headaches:
Due to the causative factors, pitta dosha obstructs the flow of vata dosha in the brain, causing throbbing pain.
C. Pain management-:
1. Avoiding the cause and trigger factors.
2. Keeping a diary record of specific foods were eaten, environmental exposure, sleep patterns may help to identify personal trigger factors.
3. Sneha nasya therapy at home-: sneha nasya, instillation of medicated oils to the nostrils by shadbindu tailam or anu tailam yield significant benefits.
4. Apply a paste of freshly ground clay or freshly ground sandalwood to the forehead, let dry, rub off by hand and wash.
5. Mix a quarter teaspoon of clove powder with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon oil. Apply this paste on the affected area for 20-30 minutes.
6. Add chamomile powder to 1 cup of boiling water. Transfer the liquid to a cup. Drink when hot. It gives fast relief from migraine.
7. Take half glass of carrot juice. Add half glass of spinach juice. Mix well. Drink this juice twice daily.
8. Grind 10-12 grains of black pepper and 10-12 grains of rice with water to make it a paste. Apply this paste on the affected area of the head for 15-20 minutes.
9. Sugar powder 16 parts, vamshalochana 8 parts, pippali (long pepper) 4 parts, ela (cardamom) 2 parts, cinnamon - 1 part. Make fine powder and mix it, keep in tight moisture-free container. Take half teaspoon thrice daily with honey.
10. Aromatherapy- pitta calming aromas typically flower fragrances like lily, cloves, lotus, lavender, peppermint, rose, sandalwood are beneficial.
11. According to Ayurveda virechan (laxative therapy) is an effective way to reduce excess pitta. Castor oil or warm milk with ghee or triphla at bedtime is helpful.
12. Practicing meditation is highly recommended.
13. Morning and evening walk followed by brisk exercise is recommended.
14. Avoid hard physical exertional exercises and aggressive sports competitions.
15. Avoid working for long hours continuously; take short breaks. Have a good night's sleep (8hrs) in a dark room.
~~apple, mango, papaya, cheeku, guava.
~~salad 1hr before lunch, 1hr before dinner.
~~buttermilk, boiled rice sauted with cinnamon, cumin seeds and garlic or asfoetida are good in the daytime.
~~have warm and easily digestible foods, boiled and steamed vegetables, soups, vegetable juices, porridge, brown rice and whole-wheat flour.
~~avoid yogurt, especially at night.
~~avoid refined, oily, spicy, cold, sour foods (fermented, pickled) and stale food, aerated drinks.
~~avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, smoking.
~~avoid cheese, chocolate and wine.
E. Yogasanas and pranayama:
Hastapadasana, setu bandhasana, marjariasana, paschimottanasana, bhastrika and anulom-vilom pranayama.
Note: when suffering from a migraine attack:
~lie down in a dark, quiet place and get some sleep.
~~drink only water.
~~apply hot or cold compresses.
~~ consult doctor
Although surgery is considered to be the first step of treatment in any form of tumor but its feasibility depends upon the type, size and location of the tumor. It is not necessary that every kind of brain tumor might require surgery.
Indications of Brain Tumor Surgery
- Diagnosis of the type of tumor by taking a sample of the tumor for laboratory examination
- Complete resection of tumor
- Removal of the tumor as much as possible to slow down its growth and improve the symptoms.
- Remove the tumor in order to help other treatment
- Provide direct access for other forms of treatment like chemotherapy, radiotherapy etc.
- To relieve pressure caused by tumor on surrounding structures
Types of Brain Tumor Surgery
The different types of surgery that are performed in cases of brain tumor include the following:
Craniotomy: Craniotomy is the most commonly performed procedure to remove brain tumor along with a piece of bone. The removed bone is replaced and the tumor is sent for histopathology (biopsy). The surgery is performed using a high end microscope by any of the following techniques:
- Extended bifrontal craniotomy
- "Eyebrow" craniotomy (supra-orbital craniotomy)
- "Keyhole" craniotomy (retro-sigmoid craniotomy)
- Orbitozygomatic craniotomy
- Translabyrinthine craniotomy
Shunt: A narrow piece of flexible tube with a pressure regulated valve in between is called a shunt. This is used to relieve the intracranial pressure caused by obstruction of the natural brain fluid (CSF) pathway by tumor mass. The procedure involves insertion of a drainage system into the brain to remove or drain excess of blocked fluid into the peritoneal cavity.
Stereotactic surgery: This surgery is done by creating a three-dimensional image called stereotaxy using computers. It aims to find out the location and position of the tumor. In fact it can also be done to aid tumor removal, implant radiation pellets or for other treatments.
Embolization: It is a procedure used to reduce the amount of blood supply to a tumor by blocking the blood flow in the selected arteries. It is generally performed before the main surgery.
Endoscopy and endoscope assisted surgery: Endoscope is the tool which helps to closely visualize the tissue through small openings in difficult to reach areas. This tool can be used in various brain surgeries to precisely reach the target location without damaging the adjacent structures.
Adjuvant modalities to improve outcome: In addition to above mentioned surgeries, following surgeries may also be performed in relation to brain tumor treatment: