Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. IndumathiYour feedback matters!
I àm 35 male and my baby in 13 weeks old. I want to ask can I give water to my baby or after how many months I can give him cerelac.
My son is 18 months old, He is premature baby of 27 week. First six months he was unable to listen. But after 8 months he started to listen, Now a days he reacts to all sounds but when we call his name he doesn't reacts. Although he speaks word like papa kaka Amma. What is exact problem?
Breastfeeding up to two years of age or beyond is based on the fact that breast milk is a [key organic source of DHA (Omega fatty acids), vitamin A, calcium and proteins and provides protection against infectious agents].
In 2008 the American Academy of Family Physicians said this in their [position paper]:
> It has been estimated that a natural weaning age for humans is between
> two and seven years. Family physicians should be knowledgeable
> regarding the ongoing benefits to the child of extended breastfeeding,
> including continued immune protection, better social adjustment and
> having a sustainable food source in times of emergency. The longer
> women breastfeed, the greater the decrease in their risk of breast
> cancer. There is no evidence that extended breastfeeding is harmful to
> mother or child.
[Many scientific studies prove] the point that longer breastfeeding [enhances the
neurodevelopment of infants] and their intellectual and scholastic ability in later life. **from one of these studies increase in the IQ by breastfeeding is directly related to the duration of breastfeeding**. These benefits are strongest for the infants of low birth weight on breastmilk feeding. It is found that Poor who are more likely to
enter into child malnutrition are more likely to benefit from enhanced optimal breastfeeding
longer breastfeeding promotes suppression of [following Diseases and benefits to the infant] :
- Enhanced stereoscopic vision
- Neuromotor development
- Lower chances of obesity in Adult life
- [Increase in height]
- suppression of gastrointestinal and respiratory infectious morbidity
- suppression of atopic eczema
- suppression of asthma
[Benefits for the Mother]:
- [Weight loss]
- lower chances of breast cancer
- lower chances of premenopausal ovarian cancer
- suppression of hypertension
- suppression of type 2 diabetes
- suppression of myocardial infarction (heart attack).
**WHO recommends that breastfeeding should continue for two years or more without accurately establishing a maximum duration for breastfeeding.In addition, there is insufficient evidence on the advantages and disadvantages of continuing breastfeeding after two years.**
[It is unfortunate that about many mothers are unable to breast feed even upto 1 year]. This may be because We’ve sexualized the breast so much that people have forgotten breasts are for breast-feeding. There is A [Harvard Study which looks at both health AND cost outcomes for U.S. mothers] if they were to breastfeed for 1 year.The study found that if 90% of mothers breastfed, U.S. women would significantly lower their risk of heart attack, breast cancer, and hypertension. On a macro level, further investment in lactation support for moms could prevent $17.4 billion in maternal health costs.
Many mothers have shared [positive Experiences of extended breastfeeding in this article]
I am not sure about giving my 9 months old vegetables at night. She eats fruits in the morning. During day she eats khichdi but in the evening or night time I give her vegetable soup. Is that ok? Will she catch cold by consuming root vegetables. Please help.
My daughter is ten years old from last week she started getting vomiting and pain in her stomach and after two day she suddenly started getting scared I have done USG of her stomach and the report is clear she use to talk a lot But now she keep quite all the time when ever I ask her she just node her head in answer and if I ask her about her problem she just start crying and say that she is scared of bhoot I am very worried of her Please help.
Hi my baby is 5 months 25 days now. His stool today was total watery and green color. We are not giving anything apart frm mothers milk. Any specific reason for such green liquidy stool?
Excessive hair fall, thinning of hair and bald spots are not only concerns of adults, children too suffer from hair woes. Look for signs and identify causes that are leading to your child's hair loss. With proper treatment hair loss can be reversed and your child's hair can be restored.
Look for these signs to determine whether your child is suffering from hair loss.
- Bald patches on the head.
- Loss of hair from the entire body
- Excessive hair loss but not complete fallout
- Spots of broken hair and scattered hair loss
- Alopecia areata - This condition results in oval patches of hair fallout from certain portions of the head. It is a noncontiguous condition that appears when the body's immunization attacks the hair follicles. About 25% of affected kids also suffer from ridging nails.
- Tinea capitis - Also known as ringworms of the scalp, this is a type of fungal infections that are often seen in children. It causes oval shaped scaly spots on the head due to breakage of hair and the remaining roots seem like black spots.
- Telogen effluvium - If your child has undergone some kind of trauma, be it physical or psychological, it can cause the hair follicles to enter into the resting phase and within 6 to 16 weeks excessive hair loss occurs leaving your child partially bald.
- Trichotillomania - Stress or anxiety can cause your child to pull out his/her own hair. This results in scattered hair loss and broken hair which is prominent on the sides of the head.
- Lack of nutrients - Nutritional deficiency can cause hair loss if your child lacks vitamin A, B complex and biotin it can trigger hair fall.
Hair fall in children is common and treatable if they are of medical causes. Sometimes rubbing and playing with hair can also cause hair loss so parents are advised to look into all the probable causes that might lead to shedding.
Related Tip: What is the Most Effective Hair Regrowth Treatment??