Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Hemanth Kumar
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. Hemanth KumarYour feedback matters!
My Mother aged 49 has frequent pains from her knee to her foot specially it pains more when she wakes up in the morning and this pain stays the whole day. What should she do?
Sir I can drive a car in calcaneum fracture in my right foot and I have not more pain daily routine, cast is 3 weeks old.
I have lower back pain since last 6 months. Please suggest specially which Dr. I should consult in ahmedabad.
Back pain, whether it be localised or radiating, can be an impediment to a person’s daily life. Usually, most cases of back pain resolve by themselves within a few weeks. However, if pain persists, the first course of action that a doctor will suggest before considering surgical options is physiotherapy. Physiotherapy has been proven to be very effective in treating back pain, if diagnosed correctly and treatment started early on.
A typical physiotherapy routine has the following goals which are usually achieved in phases –
- Relieving back pain and reducing inflammation
- Restoring normal range of motion
- Restoring full function
- Preventing recurrence
Physiotherapy usually combines passive treatments, which help to relax the muscles with active exercises designed to build strength and prevent the pain from coming back. When performed in the correct combination routinely, these treatments can provide substantial relief from back pain and help patients return to a pain-free, normal daily life.
- Hot and cold treatments – Physiotherapists usually use an alternative routine of hot compressions and cold packs on the affected areas to help increase blood flow to the area and reduce any inflammation. This also helps remove any toxins which may have accumulated and relieve muscle spasms.
- Deep tissue massage – The use of pressure to relieve the tension build up in the muscles helps ease muscle spasms and relax the whole back region. Massages also help provide relief to any strain or sprain which may be causing discomfort and pain.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) – In this treatment, variable but safe amounts of electric current is used to stimulate the muscles. This decreases spasms and also increases the production of endorphins, which are naturally produced by the body to reduce pain sensations.
- In physiotherapy, active treatments involve exercises that will improve body flexibility, allow a greater range of motion, build strength in the back muscles and also improve core stability, endurance and posture.
- The exercise routine is usually designed by the physiotherapist to meet the needs of individual patients, depending on various factors such as the diagnosis, lifestyle, medical history, and overall health.
- Exercises generally start with simple stretching and gradually move on to more difficult exercises. These exercises include dynamic stabilisation exercises, core strengthening exercises and aerobic conditioning. The different exercises are meant for different purposes.
- The physiotherapist will also teach the patient back exercises and posture control which form a part of ‘self-treatment’ that is meant to prevent a recurrence of the pain.
Physiotherapy thus can be an excellent option for the treatment of back pain. It is a natural, cost-effective, safe and efficient way of relieving pain and regaining control of the body’s muscles without needing to undergo evasive surgical procedures.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!