Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Gitanjali SharmaYour feedback matters!
Hello, I am Dr Sudeshna Biswas, senior consultant Neuro Psychiatrist attached with Fortis C Doc Hospital, Nehru Place and I have my own clinic at Siya Park. Today,w e are going to discuss a very common disorder, called OCD.
What is OCD?
OCD is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Two terms we get from this name which is Obsessive and Compulsive. So let us first know;
What is Obsession?
Obsession is persistent intrusive recurrent thoughts.
And what is compulsion?
Compulsion is an action which one does to reduce the anxiety related to this obsession.
Now, when do we call that someone has OCD?
When these symptoms of OCD occurs many times in a day or takes a lot of time and is very distressing, then the person should think that he/ she is suffering from OCD. If we talk about the age groups, it is prevalent in all age groups. Males and females are equally having this disorder. So symptoms should be known to detect the OCD.
So, the symptoms we are going to discuss under the sub headings of the OCDs. These are the types of OCDs.
- The most common type of OCD is OCD of contamination followed by washing. Under this, a person starts thinking that all the things around them are dirty and they keep on cleaning the things again and again till the time they get sure that it is cleaned.
- The second most common type of OCD is Obsession of Doubt where a person starts doubting themselves that they have not done the work properly. So he would keep checking the things whether he had done it or not. Like he might check the locks, might check the gas stoves, might check the cylinders, emails, SMS etc.
- The third type of OCD is Obsession of Thoughts. This is one of the obsessions with which we get a lot of patients. Suddenly the thought starts coming to their mind that they can harm someone or thought that someone might do something to them or something bad may happen to them. Some sexual thoughts may come to their mind which is very distressing, sexual thoughts regarding their friends, their relatives or even God or Goddess for which they feel guilty.
- Another type of OCD is Somatic Obsession. In Somatic obsession, people start thinking that something bad is happening in their body and keep on thinking about plenty of disorders which might have happened. They might keep on checking their pulse again and again, considering that their pulse is getting high
- Next type is called Symmetrical Obsession where the person starts keeping the things in very symmetrical order.
- Few more types of Obsession are there like someone might have an obsession of religiosity. In this, people start becoming very religious.
- Some more type of OCD can be where a person might question again and again the same question, or they might tell the same thing, again and again, thinking that the other person is not understanding their point of view. So, this is the Obsession of Questioning.
- The obsession of numbers where a person is obsessed with some particular number. Suppose a person is obsessed with the number 3.4 or 5. So, the person starts doing all the activities according to that number.
- One more thing which is there is hair pulling and nail-biting which can be the part of OCD.
So, these are the symptoms of OCD.
Now coming to the treatment of OCD.
The treatment of OCD is divided into 2 types.
2) Therapy- Therapy can be of few types which can be a behavioural therapy. Other types of therapies can be a group therapy, Cognitive behavioural therapy.
So at the end, I just want to tell you that please detect the symptoms as early as possible and you should detect the same in the people around you. And you should reach the professional in your nearby areas.
If you need my help, please reach to me directly by contacting me and seek up an appointment or you can contact the app Lybrate and take up an appointment.
Thank you very much.
I have chronic pain and I take Lyrica 150gr in the Morning 150gr in the afternoon and 150gr in the evening? What should i do?
I smoke weed marijuana(ganja) I want to know it is good or bad for what and how to clear it form the body what to drink and eat to be healthy and better life.
Hi My grandfather had Parkinson's when he was 75. Unka kharab kharab ho gaya tha Woh maid ko ched dete the. I hope character kharab hona is not a symptom of Parkinson's I hope it is not necessary that all Parkinson's patient behave like my grandfather n Please give me a positive answer.
3 smart tips for brainpower
If you're serious about improving your memory and your cognitive function, you need to know about these three important variables for brain health.
Activated, vitamin D receptors increase nerve growth in your brain, and researchers have also located metabolic pathways for vitamin d in the hippocampus and cerebellum of the brain, areas that are involved in planning, processing of information, and the formation of new memories. In older adults, research has shown that low vitamin d levels are associated with poorer brain function, and increasing levels may help keep older adults mentally fit. Appropriate sun exposure is all it takes to keep your levels where they need to be for healthy brain function. If this is not an option, a safe tanning bed is the next best alternative, followed by a vitamin D3 supplement
Contrary to popular belief, the ideal fuel for your brain is not glucose but ketones, which is the fat that your body mobilizes when you stop feeding it carbs and introduce coconut oil and other sources of healthy fats into your diet. A one-day fast can help your body to "reset" itself, and start to burn fat instead of sugar. Further, it will help you to reduce your overall calorie consumption, which promotes brain cell growth and connectivity. As part of a healthy lifestyle, however, I prefer an intermittent fasting schedule that simply calls for limiting your eating to a narrower window of time each day. By restricting your eating to a 6-8 hour window, you effectively fast 16-18 hours each day.
Your gut is your " second brain" and your gut bacteria transmits information to your brain via the vagus nerve, the tenth cranial nerve that runs from your brain stem into your enteric nervous system (the nervous system of your gastrointestinal tract). There is a close connection between abnormal gut flora and abnormal brain development, and just as you have neurons in your brain, you also have neurons in your gut -- including neurons that produce neurotransmitters like serotonin, which is also found in your brain and is linked to mood. Quite simply, your gut health can impact your brain function, psyche, and behavior, as they are interconnected and interdependent in a number of different ways. In addition to avoiding sugar, one of the best ways to support gut health is to consume beneficial bacteria. You can use a probiotic supplement for this, but i'm particularly fond of using fermented vegetables, because they can deliver extraordinarily high levels of beneficial bacteria. Most people aren't aware that in a healthy serving of sauerkraut – two to three ounces or so – you're getting the equivalent of nearly 100 capsules of the highest-potency probiotic you can buy. It's clearly one of the most cost-effective alternatives.
I am 32 years old, after completing my higher education I am not getting satisfactory job. I am into the satisfactory job profile but not getting the good opportunity which actually I deserved. So its really makes me feel pretty bad and sometimes it seems feel depress myself. How will I get rid off that? Please suggest.
I am a 39 years old female suffering with Vit D deficiency for last three months. It is 6 ng/ml only. I am taking treatment from a doctor for last 15 -20 days. He advised to take Vitamin D3 capsules (60,000 IU) along with some other tablets rich with nutrients and minerals. I was suffering from weakness and depression. After starting medicine, It was felling good for about 7 days. But I again started to feel weakness and depression. Is it common with Vit D3 deficiency? How much time approximately it takes to recover.
If you have depression, a thorough physical exam and careful medical history should be elicited to pinpoint a physical source of the problem for an appropriate treatment.
In depression, it is important to not only look for what?s going on in the mind and brain but also check for what?s going on in the body. Many medical problems have been linked to mood disturbances.
Over fifty percent of heart attack survivors and those with cancer report feeling depressed. Depression is also linked to diabetes, Parkinson?s and other chronic conditions.
Depression too can affect the course of a physical disease. Depression is linked with slower recovery from a heart attack and an increased risk for future heart trouble.
Thyroid disorders also affect mood. Overactive thyroid can cause mania and under active thyroid can cause depression. Other medical conditions associated with mood disorders include certain neurological conditions (multiple sclerosis, Parkinson?s disease, Alzheimer?s), other hormonal imbalances and lack of vitamin B12.