Lybrate Mini logo
Lybrate for
Android icon App store icon
Ask FREE Question Ask FREE Question to Health Experts
Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

Dr. Gitanjali Sharma

Psychiatrist, Chennai

Dr. Gitanjali Sharma Psychiatrist, Chennai
Submit Feedback
Report Issue
Get Help

Personal Statement

I believe in health care that is based on a personal commitment to meet patient needs with compassion and care....more
I believe in health care that is based on a personal commitment to meet patient needs with compassion and care.
More about Dr. Gitanjali Sharma
Dr. Gitanjali Sharma is a renowned Psychiatrist in Mylapore, Chennai. You can visit her at Dr.Gitanjali Sharma's Clinic in Mylapore, Chennai. Don’t wait in a queue, book an instant appointment online with Dr. Gitanjali Sharma on has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 42 years of experience on You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.


Languages spoken


Book Clinic Appointment

No.11, Sankalp, Brindavan Street, Mylapore, Chennai. Landmark: Near Madras Sanskrit College, ChennaiChennai Get Directions
View All

Consult Online

Text Consult
Send multiple messages/attachments
7 days validity
Consult Now


View All Services

Submit Feedback

Submit a review for Dr. Gitanjali Sharma

Your feedback matters!
Write a Review


Nothing posted by this doctor yet. Here are some posts by similar doctors.

Sir I am I'll and my body and head is aching some time I am feeling weakness so tall me what medicine can i take Please reply me.

Ayurveda, Ambala
Sir I am I'll and my body and head is aching some time I am feeling weakness so tall me what medicine can i take  Ple...
Dear, the most common causes of weakness are * anemia * metabolic disorder (diabetes, hypothyroidism) * breathing problems (asthma, sinusitis) *digestion problems (diarrhea, gestric ulcers) * cervical spondylosis first check out your haemoglobin (hb), if your hb is low, then eat a lot of green vehetables and iron rich foods like apple, guava, sapotas (cheeku, beet root and oranges. Takeiron suppliments for increase in hb. If your hb level is normal then your all parts of body get adequate level of oxygen. 2. Take deep breaths atleast for 10-15 minutes twice a day. 3. Check out the blood sugar fasting in every 6 months. If blood sugar level, then take proper medicines for high sugar level. 4. In thyroid disorder, there is a feeling of weakness and tiredness. Check out your thyroid profile, if you feel tired even after the proper deit and medicines and take treatment. 5. In the morning, do medication regulary, do pranayam atleast for 5 -10 minute. It will make your hormones level normal.
You found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I am a female aged 38 yrs with hypothyroidism & ocd since 6yrs. Taking treatment for hypothyroidism only, weighing 76kgs. How can I reduce my weight. Am also anxious in nature by birth. Suggest me.

Advanced Aesthetics
Ayurveda, Gulbarga
Continue thyroid tab. Dieting plans. Early morning when you wake up at that time for belly fat treatment you take liposuction treatment non surgical 2 glass of water, and in the breakfast you take easy digest the food for like idli or dosa or upma. Afternoon lunch. 1 bowl vegetable and 2 rotis and sabji. And buttermilk. And 5 pm you take fresh juice and dinner 8-9 same as lunch. And avoid oily food rice and sweet. Cold drinks. You start for one month and morning walk also important and do some exercise or yoga.
You found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

What is the reason for differential fear limit in various person since due to high fear group like me leads to depression in due course of time how it can be overcome naturally.

C.S.C, D.C.H, M.B.B.S
General Physician,
What is the reason for differential fear limit in various person since due to high fear group like me leads to depres...
It's not easy to say exactly what causes depression and anxiety – it's different for everyone. Sometimes a difficult time in you or your mates' life can set off depression or anxiety, sometimes it's caused by a combination of things that has built up over time and sometimes, there's just no obvious cause at all. Some risk factors for men developing depression or anxiety include: •Physical health problems •Relationship problems •Employment problems •Social isolation •Significant change in living arrangements (e.g. Separation or divorce) •Pregnancy and birth of a baby •Drug and alcohol use. Symptoms of depression in women include: •Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood. •Loss of interest or pleasure in activities, including sex. •Restlessness, irritability, or excessive crying. •Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness, hopelessness, pessimism. •Sleeping too much or too little, early-morning awakening. Depression in women differs from depression in men in several ways: •Depression in women may occur earlier, last longer, be more likely to reoccur, be more likely to be associated with stressful life events, and be more sensitive to seasonal changes •Women are more likely to experience guilty feelings and attempt suicide, although they actually commit suicide less often than men •Depression in women is more likely to be associated with anxiety disorders, especially panic and phobic symptoms, and eating disorders •Depressed women are less likely to abuse alcohol and other drugs •Symptoms of depression in MEN include: •Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood. •Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism. •Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness. •Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex. •Decreased energy, fatigue, being "slowed down" Depression is a serious but treatable medical condition that can strike anyone regardless of age, ethnic background, socioeconomic status, or gender. However, depression may go unrecognized by those who have it, their families and friends, and even their physicians. Men, in particular, may be unlikely to admit to depressive symptoms and seek help. But depression in men is not uncommon: Symptoms of depression include: •Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood •Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism •Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness •Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex •Decreased energy, fatigue, being "slowed down" •Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions •Trouble sleeping, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping •Appetite and/or weight change •Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts •Restlessness, irritability •Persistent physical symptoms, such as headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain, which do not respond to routine treatment Depression facts •A depressive disorder is a mood disorder that is characterized by a sad, blue mood that goes above and beyond normal sadness or grief. •A depressive disorder is a syndrome, meaning a group of symptoms. •Depressive disorders are feature not only negative thoughts, moods, and behaviors but also specific changes in bodily functions (like, eating, sleeping, energy and sexual activity). •One in 10 people will have a depression in their lifetime. •Because depression can lead to self-harm including suicide, it is important to note that one of every 25 suicide attempts results in death. •Some types of depression, especially bipolar depression, run in families. •While there are many social, psychological, and environmental risk factors for developing depression, some are particularly prevalent in one gender or the other, or in particular age or ethnic groups. •There can be some differences in symptoms of depression depending on age, gender, and ethnicity. •Depression is only diagnosed clinically in that there is no laboratory test or X-ray for depression. It is therefore crucial to see a health professional as soon as you notice symptoms of depression in yourself, your friends, or family. •The first step in getting appropriate treatment is a complete physical and psychological evaluation to determine whether the person, in fact, has a depressive disorder. •Depression is not a weakness but a serious illness with biological, psychological, and social aspects to its cause, symptoms, and treatment. A person cannot will it away. Untreated or undertreated, it can worsen or return. •There are many safe and effective medications, particularly the SSRIs, that can be of great help in the treatment of depression. Treatment- A variety of treatments, including medications and short-term psychotherapies (i.e. "talking" therapies), have proven effective for depressive disorders: more than 80 percent of people with a depressive illness improve with appropriate treatment. Not only can treatment lessen the severity of depression, but it may also reduce the duration of the episode and may help prevent additional bouts of depression. If you are happy with these answers please click on "useful” link so that I can know my efforts are not wasted. If you want more clarifications please ask me directly and not in open questions session 5 Ways to Fight Depression If you feel depressed, it's best to do something about it — depression doesn't just go away on its own. In addition to getting help from a doctor or therapist, here are 5 things you can do to feel better. 1.Exercise. Take a 15- to 30-minute brisk walk every day — or dance, jog, or bike if you prefer. People who are depressed may not feel much like being active. In addition to getting aerobic exercise, some yoga poses can help relieve feelings of depression. Two other aspects of yoga — breathing exercises and meditation — can also help people with depression feel better. 2.Nurture yourself with good nutrition. Depression can affect appetite. One person may not feel like eating at all, but another might overeat. Proper nutrition can influence a person's mood and energy. So eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and get regular meals (even if you don't feel hungry, try to eat something light, like a piece of fruit, to keep you going). 3.Identify troubles, but don't dwell on them. Try to identify any situations that have contributed to your depression. When you know what's got you feeling blue and why, talk about it with a caring friend. Talking is a way to release the feelings and to receive some understanding. 4. Express yourself. With depression, a person's creativity and sense of fun may seem blocked. Exercise your imagination (painting, drawing, doodling, sewing, writing, dancing, composing music, etc.) and you not only get those creative juices flowing, you also loosen up some positive emotions. Take time to play with a friend or a pet, or do something fun for yourself. Find something to laugh about — a funny movie, perhaps. Laughter helps lighten your mood. 5.Try to notice good things. Depression affects a person's thoughts, making everything seem dismal, negative, and hopeless. If depression has you noticing only the negative, make an effort to notice the good things in life. Try to notice one thing, then try to think of one more. Consider your strengths, gifts, or blessings. Most of all, don't forget to be patient with yourself. Depression takes time to heal. If you are happy with these answers please click on "useful” link so that I can know my efforts are not wasted. If you want more clarifications please ask me directly and not in open questions.
You found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I m 18 year old boy. I smoke so much daily at least 20 cigrate how can I control citrate.

DHMS (Diploma in Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery)
Homeopath, Ludhiana
I feel really happy for you guys who have guts to digest the truth that habitual smoking is an addiction and I am very much sure that guys like you although understand the disatrous effectss of habitual smoking but out of their craving or compulsion are unable to do so. But I wll try to figure out a clear picture in front of you and let you decide how to quit this habit as I think you are strong enough to quit this habit as you have a strong mind to accept this addiction.-----------------------myself is a homoeopath and I will prescribe you a homoeopathic medicine which will help you in coming out of your withdrawl symptoms after quitting smoking quiet easily along with management for how to quit smoking--------------consult me-----------
2 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

My friend's boy friend is very rich but married now she is in love with him as the girl is not having father so he is taking care of her family he is supporting her financially but he is forcing her to be in liven relationship my friend asked him to take divorce but he says he ll after 3 years first he wants his father to transfer his property to him but he is pressuring her for liven she is upset too much cz id if she denies then he won't support and if she does it ll be shameful what she shall do tell something for her to come over depression and stay calm.

M.Sc - Applied Psychology
Psychologist, Bangalore
My friend's boy friend is very rich but married now she is in love with him as the girl is not having father so he is...
Your friend needs to evaluate all the pros and cons of whatever she decides to do. Its difficult to understand whether this relationship has any solid grounds. There are two layers to this situation. Layer 1) whether to get into live-in because she loves him and he has promised divorce to his wife after 3yrs. Your friend needs to consider following scenarios. A) he gives divorce and marries her after 3yrs: maybe possible, maybe not. What if he has a kid with his wife in these 3yrs. This will complicate the situation and cause undue pain and dysfunctionality to a family structure. B) he does not divorce his wife after 3years bcos maybe he feels responsible towards her or situation gets too much complicated. What will your friend do after spend 3years in live-in with him. Can she imagine the emotional and physical attachments may make it difficult for her to move on? will she be willing to settle for as a second option all of her life? thinking abt having children may complicate things further. Layer 2) she does not have father so he is financially supporting her family. How and who approved of such an arrangement? what is the role of her mother in this situation? is there no other source of income in the family? what would the family have done to have financial security if this guy would not have been in their life? why is the girl not earning to support the family? is this the only way she can bring money into the house? is money the only binding factor for this relationship? what will happen to them once the rich guy refuses to take care of them any more? ask your friend to reflect on these questions and take a wiser decision. If she can not do it on her own then consult a counsellor.
You found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Sir, I am a ret med. Spe. My wife is suffering from parkinsonism since last 6-7 yrs but since last one yrs her condition is deteriorating pertaing to muscle loss. Loss of memory, unable to talk & respond properly. Shedevloped hypoprotenaemia due to bedsore etc & I gave her uman albumin 20%. Kindly advice any thing to be done at this stage to boost up her muscle power. Thanks.

Dear friend. Kindly find out brain auditary evoked potentials. This will help to report the performance of memory power, muscles power, speech etc. Consult neuro physiotherapist nearest your location also. This will be helpful
You found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

MD - Internal Medicine, CCMD(Diabetology), PG Course in Diabetology
Diabetologist, Dehradun
Smoking increases the risk of diabetes in normals & worsened the diabetic complications in diabetics.
You found this helpful

The Mind & Body Connection - Understanding the Metaphysical Side!

Master of Arts, Clinical Psychology, Ph.D., Neuropsychology
Psychologist, Udaipur
The Mind & Body Connection - Understanding the Metaphysical Side!

People who have good emotional health are aware of their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. They have learned healthy ways to cope with the stress and problems that are a normal part of life. They feel good about themselves and have healthy relationships.

However, many things that happen in life can disrupt your emotional health and lead to strong feelings of sadness, stress, or anxiety. Good changes can be just as stressful as bad changes. These things include:

  1. Being laid off from your job
  2. Having a child leave or return home
  3. Dealing with the death of a loved one
  4. Getting divorced or married
  5. Suffering an illness or an injury
  6. Getting a job promotion
  7. Experiencing money problems
  8. Moving to a new home
  9. Having a baby

What is the mind-body link?

You may already be familiar with phrases which describe the mind-body connection in day-to-day life such as something being a “pain in the neck” - it generally symbolises 'burden over mind'.

When we talk about mind, people usually understand it as a collection of thoughts, feelings, beliefs, attitudes, memories, past experiences and personality that make up a person’s internal world.

Mind vs Brain

In colloquial terms, the words mind and brain may be used interchangeably but, the two are in fact not the same. While the brain is a physical organ, the mind can be described a virtual entity present within each cell of our body and extended to minimum 2 inches outside the body. That is why mind controls the body as a collection of thoughts, emotions, imagination and memories. When compared to a computer, the brain acts as the hardware while the mind is the software within it.

Is it all in my head?

Experiencing happiness or sadness not only affects your frame but also affects your physical health. For example, indigestion is commonly triggered by stress and anxiety. On the other hand, physical ailments also affect an individual’s mental well-being. Do you know anyone who feels happy when they are sick? Thus, the mind and body share a deep, cyclic connection. To be physically healthy is it important to be psychologically healthy and vice versa.

Emotions manifest themselves on an individual’s body in a number of ways. This ranges from changes in internal body temperature and blood sugar levels to hormonal imbalances and altered brain chemistry. Happiness and joyous emotions have the ability to boost immunity, alleviate pain and relax muscles while sadness and anxiety can increase heart beats, tighten muscles and dilate blood vessels. Over time, it can also lower a person’s immunity and make them more susceptible to bacterial and viral infections. Anxiety and depression can keep a person from eating nutritious food and exercising and hence lower his or her overall health. Poor emotional health could also encourage the use of stimulants such as alcohol and drugs that cause weight fluctuation, insomnia, tiredness, weakened gut health, sexual problems etc.

How do your thoughts and feelings affect your health?

Your brain produces substances that can improve your health. These substances include endorphins, which are natural painkillers, and gamma globulin, which strengthens your immune system.

Research shows that what your brain produces depends in part on your thoughts, feelings, and expectations. If you're sick but you have hope and a positive attitude and you believe that you'll get better, your brain is likely to produce chemicals that will boost your body's healing power.

Negative thoughts and emotions can keep your brain from producing some of the chemicals that help your body heal. But this doesn't mean you should blame yourself for getting sick or feeling down about a health problem. Some illnesses are beyond your control. But your thoughts and state of mind are resources you can use to get better.

The mind-body link and your health

Some of the body’s systems are more affected by the mind-body link more than others. You may recognise some listed below:

  1. Digestive System Changes: It is common to experience an upset stomach (e.g. nausea, diarrhoea, bloating or pain) during times of stress. There are lots of nerve connections between the brain and the gut. In fact, the gut is sometimes called the ‘Little Brain’ for this reason.
  2. Skin Conditions: People with skin conditions, including eczema or psoriasis, notice that during stressful periods their symptoms can become worse and respond less well to conventional treatments.
  3. Heart Symptoms: Changes in the way the heart works are common in stressful or exciting circumstances. For example, stress or excitement can cause the heart to beat faster and raise blood pressure. These normal changes in heart rate and blood pressure as a result of stress can be concerning for people with or without heart conditions.
  4. Fatigue: Fatigue can also be affected by how we think and feel. For example, boredom can lead to feeling fatigued and sleepy whereas an unexpected piece of good news could give you a burst of energy. Fatigue can also be present as part of mood problems such as depression and anxiety. People who experience health problems may struggle with fatigue which is a combination of physical and emotional factors.
  5. Thinking Styles: How you think - your ‘thinking style’ - can affect how you feel emotionally and physically. Some common thinking styles make it seem very likely that something bad is going to happen. This can make you feel worried, sad or upset even though the thought is not true.

Mind-Body Therapies

Below is a short list of some of the more common types of psychotherapy. Some therapy techniques have been scientifically tested on a large scale basis; while others are newer and often combined with more established psychotherapies.

  1. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  2. Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
  3. Psychodynamic Therapy
  4. Interpersonal Therapy (IPT)
  5. Hypnotherapy

Using the mind-body link to help you manage your health

  • Learning how to relax can help your mind and body. You can try different things until you find one that works for you. For example: Listen to relaxing music.
  • Spend five minutes focusing on the rhythm of your breath.
  • Try using prayer or meditation to relax.
  • Imagine being in a peaceful scene, such as a beach or woodland. Notice what you can see, hear, touch, taste and smell.
  • Try not to rush around during the day. Leave plenty of time for your planned activities.
  • Talk to someone when you are feeling stressed, anxious or down you might not feel like doing anything.

Thankfully, like physical ailments, emotional ailments too can be treated.

4047 people found this helpful

BDS, Diploma in Hospital Administration, Diploma in Pharmacy
Dentist, Delhi
Effects of Smoking and Drinking on Oral Hygiene

There is a very famous quote that smoking is a very classy way to commit suicide. Its adverse effects is not only evident on the smoker's lungs and respiratory system but on his health as a whole. The mouth suffers the immediate consequences - gums become pale, teeth lose their white color and the taste buds and the tongue get affected. It also has a damaging effect on the mouth muscles and lead to frequent mouth and tongue dryness ultimately leading to oral cancer.

Smoking during pregnancy affects the embryo formation and very often leads to the delivery of abnormal children or physical deformities in them.

The Role of Nicotine

The concoction of chemicals like nicotine in tobacco or smoke, and plaque bacteria leads to deterioration of the teeth. Before you realize, the teeth and the gums get considerably damaged which is irreversible. This paves the way to cavities and loosening of teeth that eventually have to be pulled out.


Alcohol contains good amount of sugars, which very easily settle in the mouth making it a bacteria-breeding place that feed on gums and teeth. The smoke which is drawn from a cigarette and the bacteria present together release a dangerous acid which results in stomach acidity initially and ultimately leads to oral cancer. This is also another reason to throat and intestine cancers as well.

Limiting the Damage

It is always good to quit smoking and drinking. Even though being addicted is not good, keeping the damage at its minimum is advisable. It is very important not only to brush and floss your teeth every morning but also after every meal. It is a good habit to rinse the mouth with water very often when you are drinking to normalize the saliva flow. Do not forget to keep chewing sugar free gums very often if you are a regular drinker.
Regular visits to the dentist is almost a mandate for regular smokers and drinkers. If you or any of your family members are facing oral hygiene problems and looking for suggestions or treatment

8 people found this helpful

I am 20 years old boy face the stuttering problem. Can not speech properly. What can I do?

General Physician,
This is lac of se pk f confi d hence you should develop sel f confidence and clear thought process you must be clear about what you want bto spea ok or convey speak clearly and distonigly and slowly do not huury up for finishing some how. You will get the confidence. Or else you can consult a speech therapist.
You found this helpful

What is the best way to cure reducing hair line apart from proper sleep & taking care of stress ?

BASM, MD, MS (Counseling & Psychotherapy), MSc - Psychology, Certificate in Clinical psychology of children and Young People, Certificate in Psychological First Aid, Certificate in Positive Psychology
Psychologist, Palakkad
What is the best way to cure reducing hair line apart from proper sleep & taking care of stress ?
Dear lybrate user. I can understand. Receding hairline is a cosmetic problem for many youngsters like you. Proper sleep, stress management and physical exercise can help you maintain the hair line. There are many treatments that you could opt for to stop hairline from receding. Some of the common ones include hair transplant surgeries, use of laser combs, use of medications such as minoxidil, propecia, rogaine and other solutions. Please consult your dermatologist. Take care.
You found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

My colleague started feeling from few months that some is behind him and kill him or hurt him for this he stated blaming anybody that you are going to kill me. He is suffering from Parkinson also.

DM - Neurology, MD - General Medicine, MBBS
Neurologist, Hyderabad
My colleague started feeling from few months that some is behind him and kill him or hurt him for this he stated blam...
it may happen due to certain medication used for Parkinson's disease. if he is on treatment for Parkinson's disease, then we have modify the medication.
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Mujhe gussa bhot aane lga h kuch time se aur choti choti baat se ched jati hu. Mere body mein pain bhot Rehta h puri body mein.

M.Sc Applied Psychology, Advanced Diploma Child Guidance & Counselling
Psychologist, Delhi
Dear Lybrate user. Anger is a natural emotion. It's good to experience all kind of emotions. No emotions are bad. It's just that we need to modulate our expression of anger in a healthy way. Please make a note of anger situation. Try to understand the reasons for that. Make a diary. Write about the anger situation, what thoughts you had at that time, what feelings you had. This will help you evaluate the cause and you will be better able to deal with it. Another important thing after identifying the anger triggers try to avoid those situation. Give yourself space to relax. Try these methods, if things still trouble you try meeting a counselor. Take care.
You found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Mental pressure. Cant forget my ex girlfriend. No way to come up from that. 9 year of relation she broke and went off. I am weak totally. Always she haunting. If can, please help me to hate her.

MD - Alternative Medicine
Alternative Medicine Specialist, Mumbai
Its not solution to hurt each other or you start, time is best remedy for you. Its clear symptom to star bach flower remedy for you. Non side effect remedy.
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

How to improve memory. I have a problem remembering things I am 20 years old and forget things very easily. The problem started few months back.

Reparenting Technique, BA, BEd
Psychologist, Bangalore
Daily exercise of at least half an hour is a must. Even if you go to a gym, ask for aerobic and/or callisthenic exercises with whatever else you are doing. A healthy body harbors a healthy mind. With regard to memory, it is very important that your brain and body is ideally rested to be able to recall whatever is required, rather comfortably. Puzzles pose problems to the brain that help it to use new pathways and neurons, which give the brain considerable exercise. It taxes the left brain to use logic to solve the myriad possibilities which other activities do not stimulate. Crosswords are excellent for vocabulary learning and use. Jigsaws and Rubik cube stimulate different permutations to finally settle on the most likely one. Picture completion and anagrams help approach problem-solving from several angles. Do Sudoku, and memory co-relation activities and skills. Have a good night’s sleep, have a good breakfast of more proteins, meditate often, remain free of stress, eat a lot of fiber (whole grains, fruits and vegetables), nuts, avocado, eat dark chocolate, consume less of fat and use olive oil instead, do Yoga meditation exercises, etc. You need to check out if you are stronger visual or auditory. The visual is a better mode than the auditory. However, if you combine the two modes, you will get the best concentration. Have a special place of learning, which should be well lit, with soft painted walls, well-ventilated, with no distractions. When you get bored, study by writing. If you repeat learning, at least, five to seven times, you will apparently remember for a longer time. Sit comfortably but do not slouch. The reading material should be of a fairly large print. Study at small intervals of about 40 minutes and then take a break or change the subject. Short-term memory is a faculty of the left brain, and long-term memory is a feature of the right brain. When people are stressed, they tend to favor the right brain and abandon the left brain, where short-term memory resides. So, it is really very simple: deal with the stress and activate left brain functions. Here are a few suggestions to activate left brain function: shut your left nostril and breathe, move your eyes from right to left and vice versa for at least half a minute at a time, and do callisthenic exercises with some form of counting, regularly. There is a new exercise called Super Brain Yoga, which is done by holding the right earlobe with your left thumb and index finger, and the left earlobe with your right hand’s thumb and index finger. In this position, you must squat down and rise up and do this for five minutes every day. There is some memory enhancing techniques and study methods that your teacher will be able to guide you with. If your home life is full of distractions and stress, it is likely to affect your memory, adversely. In that case, I suggest that the family goes for counseling too. The following foods do help too: Blueberries, walnuts, turmeric, Spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, acorn squash, green tea, oily fish, boiled egg, turkey, apples, oatmeal, leafy greens, lentils, pumpkin seeds, avocado, cinnamon, thyme, sunflower seeds, and red wine. Avoid sugar and junk food. You may also include these noted foods that are good for your brain health: Brain-Friendly Foods MIND stands for Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay. But the MIND approach “specifically includes foods and nutrients that medical literature and data show to be good for the brain, such as berries,” says Martha Clare Morris, ScD, director of nutrition and nutritional epidemiology at Rush University Medical Center. You eat things from these 10 food groups: • Green leafy vegetables (like spinach and salad greens): At least six servings a week • Other vegetables: At least one a day • Nuts: Five servings a week • Berries: Two or more servings a week • Beans: At least three servings a week • Whole grains: Three or more servings a day • Fish: Once a week • Poultry (like chicken or turkey): Two times a week • Olive oil: Use it as your main cooking oil. • Wine: One glass a day You avoid: • Red meat: Less than four servings a week • Butter and margarine: Less than a tablespoon daily • Cheese: Less than one serving a week • Pastries and sweets: Less than five servings a week • Fried or fast food: Less than one serving a week
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I am addicted to cigarettes. But I want to quit. Even now I am trying my best to don't smoke again but it is really being hard. I need some instructions to help me quit as soon as possible. Thank you.

Psychiatrist, Noida
It's good that u thought of quitting cigarette.. U will be started on nichochew gums and will be given motivation therapy which will help u a lot
4 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I have stomach ulcers what should I do. Dr. said don't eat anything like curd, fruits, milk, and even cool drinks also..

Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine and Surgery (BAMS)
Ayurveda, Delhi
Hello user yes you can get relief remedy first 1 week take honey with water for 1 week. Then in 2nd week drink fresh coconut water for 1 week. In between please do eat ghee 20 to 25 gm in a day. For dryness. Do walk, yoga. Yes do not eat/drink curd, cold drink, milk. Do not take excessive allopathic medicines. Take care
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Hello, sir/ Mam Recently I am facing break up with my boyfriend. Now he is getting married. Now we both don't talk with each other I am trying to divert my mind whole day I remain busy whole day but at night I am feeling restless. Not able to sleep properly. Always something about my past is running in my mind. Usually I am crying at night thinking about my past. Is this a symptom of depression. I want to get rid of from this feeling. Should I take sleeping pills? Please suggest me what I do?

Reparenting Technique, BA, BEd
Psychologist, Bangalore
Hello, sir/ Mam
Recently I am facing break up with my boyfriend. Now he is getting married. Now we both don't talk wi...
Obviously, your boyfriend's marriage is disturbing you even though you have broken up. It will take some time to overcome your missing him. It is not at all depression but the stress is taking a toll on your sleep too. Meet with a counselor and talk about your feelings and the stress. In the meantime you may follow these instructions to get better sleep: do not sleep during the day; don’t even lie down. Go for regular exercise (breathing through your nostrils only) at a fixed time (at about 6 am) every day, whether you sleep or not. You must develop this habit of sleeping by 10 pm latest every night and wake up at a uniform time by 6 am every morning, even if you do not get sleep. If you do not get sleep, just lie down and if you have a bed lamp (or you could get one) lie down and read something light but not exciting. Your eyes will tire and you will fall asleep. If you like you may also put on light and soft music with the sleep function on. Depending on whether you are a visual or auditory person, you may watch TV in a lying down position until you feel sleepy. Have a warm bath before going to bed (for some people a cold bath at night seems to induce sleep! If you are one of them, please do so). Place the head side of your bed in a North-South position. The room must be as dark as possible and there should be no electronic items that give off even a light LED glow. There must be ample ventilation in the room. Avoid strong odors, except lavender, on your body or in the room, or on your sheets and clothes. There should not be any live plants in your bedroom. Sleep with the lightest of clothes or without any clothing. When lying down to sleep, lie down on your left ear as much as possible. Do not sleep directly under an overhead fan. You must eat a good breakfast, a fairly light lunch, and an early dinner, which should be a very light meal. Whatever you eat in the other meals, have only a pure carbohydrate meal at night with any vegetables, and preferably before 8 pm. Do not drink much liquids after or near about dinner time. When lying down to sleep you may use the 4-7-8 breathing pattern of sleep inducement i.e. Breathe in for four counts through your nostril only, hold for 7 counts, and exhale with a whoosh sound, through your mouth only, for 8 counts. Repeat this four times in the morning and just before you sleep at night. If you know Emotional Freedom Technique or EFT (check this out either on YouTube or Google), then please practice this too for sleep induction. Self-hypnosis and slow relaxation techniques, at night will be tremendously useful. Acupuncture or acupressure will both be very useful too. Pray last thing at night before you sleep.
14 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Psychiatrist, Delhi
Smokers have a 4 times risk of heart attack compared to non-smokers.
You found this helpful
View All Feed