Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pathologists in India. You will find Pathologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pathologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Gandhi MahalingamYour feedback matters!
I am having body ache from few days. I even took paracetamol but it is not working. What should I do?
Hello doctor. I am a student . I have to walk about 3 km daily. Sometime I get foot pain and sometimes in right hip. What should I do please suggest me. And I am getting tanned, my skin is becoming black. And my college is in rural area (like in village. Thank you.
Hi Doctor, From past 3-4 days, I am getting a tingling sensation on my right lower abdomen. There no such pain or severity, please advise what could be the reason for this.
I am suffering with body pains so please tell me what iam doing without any tablets that means any exercises and yoga?
I am suffering from fever last two days my eyes are also being red and paining my body badly so please help me.
I have so many pain in the lower stomach area. Small itches & scratches are there in the penis region.
I am 19 year old boy .lately I have been witnessing excessive body pain lately .i do workout 3 times a week .But I think its some different issue .what is causing this?
I have paining in my whole left leg since 15-20 days, its become higher at night when I will led down over bed, I will not able not weak up directly from bed.
Physiotherapy or physical therapy focuses on enhancing mobility and treating disabilities. Physiotherapy is used commonly in case of sports injuries, partial or complete paralysis, arthritis, neurological disorders, etc. along with helping the patient regain movement and improving flexibility, physiotherapy also helps deals with back pain, arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic headaches and injury related pain. This pain may make you want to simply curl up and stay immobile but this could be detrimental to your progress. Through physical therapy, a patient can learn how to function and move safely and thus becomes stronger.
Here are a few ways physiotherapy is beneficial for pain management.
- It teaches breathing techniques: Physiotherapy doesn’t only address the joints and muscles of the body, but also addresses the autonomic nervous system and involuntary movements that control the functioning of the organs. By teaching a patient how to breathe correctly through opening up the chest and neck muscles, physiotherapy helps improve blood circulation that further helps relieve pain.
- It helps with weight management: When it comes to rheumatoid arthritis and knee joint pain, being overweight is one of the key factors triggering the pain. This is because of the more your weight, the more the pressure on your joints and hence the more the pain. Physiotherapy helps increase a patient’s mobility and thus aids in weight loss. This, in turn, reduces the pressure on joints and pain associated with it.
- It strengthens muscles: Physiotherapy deals with both the muscles affected by an injury as well as the unaffected muscles. While it helps regain control over the injured muscles, ligament and tendons it also helps strengthen the unaffected muscles. This helps them compensate for the limited functioning of the affected muscles. By strengthening the muscles, physiotherapy also makes movement easier and helps reduce pain.
- It helps improve posture: For people with back problems, the way you sit and stand can make a big difference to the pain experienced. Physiotherapy teaches a person how to sit and stand straight so as to support the back muscles properly.
- It helps determine the right equipment: Having the right shoes can play a big role in alleviating pain associated with walking. Similarly, physiotherapy can equip a person with the right equipment to make movement easier and less painful. This could be as simple as a walking stick for arthritic patients or a robotic glove for patients who have paralysed hand muscles. Furniture such as supportive mattresses and office chairs can also help alleviate back pain.