Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Gaja Lakshmi
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Gaja LakshmiYour feedback matters!
Me and my girlfriend often have sex. We trust each other and we do not use condoms. Still there is high risk of unwanted pregnancy. We were thinking of using regular contraceptive pills. Is it safe? How can we use it?
I have gone through Ivf and conceived baby now I am 20 weeks pregnant when checking anatomy scan found out my cervix length is 2.7 cm during 12 weeks anatomy scan the cervix length was 3.70 cm.I am really worried now about the cervix length will it come back to normal or should I opt for any medicines or cervical cerclage.
When should you opt for an otoplasty?
- Cagot ear: This is a defect where there is no ear lobe attached to the ear.
- Cat’s ear: In this condition the outer side of the ear is pulled forward. It gives the person a more feline appearance.
- Cauliflower ear: This generally occurs when your ear looks like a cauliflower. This is also caused due to hematoma that occurs because of severe trauma.
- Cleft earlobe: In this condition, there is a notch on the fleshy part of the earlobe and can be corrected by otoplasty.
- Constricted ear: In this condition, some of the cartilage is discarded by surgery and a new one is reconstructed.
- Cryptotia: An incision is made and the upper part of the ear is exposed by contraction.
- Darwinian ear: This occurs when the rim cartilage of the conchal bone (hollow next to the ear canal) is flat and not folded outwards. The term ‘Darwinian ear’ is derived from the British biologist Charles Darwin.
- Lop ear: People who have lop ear generally have a protruding ear with a central depression, producing a more ‘cup ear’ appearance. The helix is enlarged after surgery.
- Macrotia: In this situation the ear of the patient is very big as compared to his head. So the surgeon makes incisions on the lateral surface of the pinna (outer ear).
- Microtia: In this condition the pinna is extremely small and the whole ear seems much smaller.
- Question mark ear: This is a rare defect. There is an indentation between the cartilage and the ear lobe rim. This is also known as Cosman ear.
- Scroll ear: The outer edge of the ear protrudes forward in such a condition.
- Stahl’s ear deformity: In this condition the outer skin and cartilage folds abnormally giving an ‘elf’ kind of appearance.
Otoplasty is usually done to improve the appearance of the ear in severe cases and it is important to get a recommendation from more than one doctor or more than one ENT specialist before going forward with this procedure.
Light periods refer to menstrual periods that have very light flow and are characterized by a lesser number of days than usual. Although the menstrual cycles vary from a woman to another, the duration for a normal period is around every 28 days. Each period lasts for approximately four to seven days. The amount of blood loss in a normal period is around 20 ml to 80 ml. However, loss of blood below 20 ml can be considered as light periods.
The causes of light periods can vary for different woman. Some of them are:
- An imbalance in hormone levels in the body like PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease).
- Light periods are most common in women who are approaching menopause. This is because, at this time, women tend to produce less estrogen, a hormone responsible for regulating menstrual periods.
- Light periods can be common in girls who have just started to menstruate.
- Excessive bouts of exercise, a thyroid condition or an eating disorder can be also responsible for light periods in women.
- Women who use hormonal or oral contraceptives may also have a chance of experiencing light periods.
- An important cause of scanty menses is implantation bleeding. That means sometimes, despite being pregnant, little amount of bleeding can happen at the expected time of menses in the first three months of Pregnancy. So it's important to rule out pregnancy at the earliest.
Certain symptoms usually follow light periods. These symptoms vary according to the underlying causes of this condition.
Some of the common symptoms which accompany light periods are:
- Abdominal pain
- Frequent infections, namely yeast and other fungal infections
- Painful sexual intercourse
- Missed periods
In some cases, light periods might turn out to be a sign of a fatal condition that should be immediately administered to. An example of such would be an ectopic pregnancy, which can cause light or heavy bleeding. Although light periods are rarely due to serious diseases, neglect can lead to heightened complications and irreversible damage.
Some of the complications can are:
- Serious discomfort and pain
- Difficulty in conception or infertility
- Osteoporosis and Osteopenia
Sir, my sister has been suffering from lower abdomen pain. And we consult a gynecologist, and doctor was recommended to ultrasound. After reading report doctor said that a cyst present her ovary. And written medicine , and advice her after period consult doctor. Sir kindly describe is it effect for future life and it affect for reproductive system?
5 Tips for a Smoother Transition to Menopause
Menopause is such a major stage in woman's life. But unlike puberty, its effect is more on the depressing side than fulfilling. Women who are going through the menopausal stage tend to experience changes in their body that they are not prepared for yet. Menopause signifies the end of a woman's fertility period and that may change a lot of things about her. Her ways, personality, lifestyle, and even marriage may be affected by this condition.
There are many ways to deal with menopause if only to smoothen its effect among females. Here are some tips to guide you through it:
1. Lead a healthier lifestyle
Menopause won't affect your body so much if you are accustomed living healthy. Stop smoking for that would dry up your skin and affect many of your internal organs. Stay clear of alcohol as your body will have lower tolerance of it as you get older. The permissible alcohol limit for women is 40ml per week. This time usually also corresponds to the time when children are leaving home for higher education, hence you can pay more attention to yourself and get into a regular lifestyle.
2. Watch your diet
What you eat is who you are. Be sure that you eat lots of vitamin-rich foods that would put your body well in shape. During the menopausal stage, your body will require a diet that is high in fiber and calcium. Make sure to pile up your plate with naturally coloured foods to get all the nutrients.
The best and the fastest way to keep your body in shape is still through regular exercise. The peri-menopausal stage will make your body feel tired more than usual. Counter that by living a more active lifestyle. Work out more often. Muscle aches and fatigue tend to go away with the daily flexing of bones and muscles. Have enough exposure of sunlight i.e. around 30 min per day between 10am-3pm, to get vitamin D into your bones.
4. Take hormonal pills
There are many pills available at drug stores and pharmacies that contain the women's hormones progesterone and estrogen or derivatives of it. These pills are going to help greatly in countering the changes that your body is expected to go through. However, these medications can only be obtained with proper prescription so talk to your health provider about it.
5. Have a positive outlook of life after menopause:
Consider it as a life free of period and pregnancy worries instead of a time of lost youth. Yoga and meditation can be extremely beneficial to reduce hot flushes and to overcome dryness and weakness of the genital muscles.