Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. G DuraiarasanYour feedback matters!
Research shows that overweight children have a higher chances of developing chronic health problems such as hypertension, asthma, high cholesterol, and even cancer as they grow up. Apart from these health conditions, being obese can cause severe self-esteem problems as well. In short, obesity in children, more specifically childhood obesity, can affect the overall physical, mental and emotional health of your child.
Here are 5 easy ways to prevent your child from falling into the perils of obesity.
1. Develop healthy eating habits in your child
Encouraging your little ones to develop healthy eating habits is vital for maintaining optimum body weight. Instead of high sugar and high fat foods, a child’s diet should consist of fruits, vegetables and whole-grain foods (such as oats, quinoa and wheat). Proteins such as lean meats, lentils, beans and fish should be included in his/her eating plan as well. Most importantly, serving food in the right portion sizes will ensure your child is getting the right amount of nutrients, while preventing him/her from consuming empty calories. Inculcate these eating habits in them right from the time they are toddlers so that it stays with them as they get older.
2. Make your child avoid calorie-rich foods
Getting your child to avoid fatty, sugary and salty foods can also prevent him from tipping over the weighing scale. Present before your child low sugar and low fat alternatives that he/she would enjoy eating such as apples, bananas, carrots, etc.
3. Encourage your child to pursue physical activity
Try to encourage your child to engage in some form of physical activity for about 60 minutes every day. From brisk walking, swimming, dancing to skipping - your child could opt for any of these physical activities. Having your child lead an active life can see him/her enjoying a number of health benefits like respite from stress, strengthening of his/her bones and muscles and decrease in blood pressure, to name a few.
4. Put a limit on your child’s TV time
When it comes to the time that your child may spend before the TV, computer or other gizmos, it should be not more than 2 hours a day. Instead, devise fun activities wherein your child as well other members of the family can take part in or ones in which your child does not need a company.
5. Ensure your child gets enough sleep
Lastly, a good night’s rest that lasts about 9-12 hours is vital for optimal weight maintenance. Studies reveal that children who slept for fewer hours were more at risk of being obese. This is because less sleep causes fatigue, leading to a decrease in physical activity and therefore, use of energy.
Dads and moms should share in the responsibility in caring for their newborn baby.
Importance of Dad Care
Caring for their baby gives dad's a chance to bond with their baby and also provides rest, help and support to the mom who might be in great stress. It is important to be there for your wife and be an active participant in caring for your family. Care for your young one and take turns changing the diaper, watching the baby or feeding.
What dads can do?
Dads can get involved in the different activities like changing soiled diapers, massage and bathing or sponging, get his/her dressed, feeding the baby if on formula feeds, burping the baby etc. Rocking the baby to sleep and singing songs and lullabies gives you a different experience. Don't shy away from responsibilities. It is best that you be there rather than ignore your need.
Skin to skin contact (Kangaroo care)
Babies respond to touch. Kangaroo care is very helpful especially in premature babies. It helps in growth of baby. It helps in bonding of baby with father. Hold your baby tight against your skin. Let the hearts connect. It is a beautiful experience to hold God's creation in your hand. This is the best way to connect to your little one and make him feel special. The best thing about this activity is that more than the baby it makes you feel happy and complete.
Practice makes a man perfect!
The only way to learn how to care for a bay is by getting involved and get going. Don't hesitate. You may feel shy initially but once you start involving in your baby care, the experience of nursing a baby makes you more confident.
Share your experience in your group at home or office, you may find more practical ways for caring your baby. Be open to suggestions and try and incorporate the good ones.
It has been found that babies who are 'well fathered' tend to be more secure and confident in exploring the world around them. Be a father that is around to observe and nurture your kid, remember it's the childhood that one cherishes the most.
I feel very scared after my father sudden death 4 months before. I was very happy and joyful person but it seems that in a day everything change. I am scared that what will happen if again anything happen to anyone in my family whenever my husband go out for work after every hour I call him, when my baby cry in illness I become panic that something will happen. I am trying to overcome this situation by keeping myself busy in household works but I am tired of my negative thoughts. I want to be like what I was.
I want to ask about my son he is 7 year old. His behavior is not good not talked in mannerable way. Never listen and follow to anyone. always jumping shouting making face etc. Never concentrate on one thing. If we did not do whatever he like he shouts hits to everyone. Did not concentrate on his studies too.
My 1years 8months son is not having enough food. He likes to drink milk but I think it is not sufficient for him. How to make him to eat food in a natural way.
My son who is 2 years and 4 months sleeps from early in the morning until evening and he is awake the whole night and always watching kids videos on mobile all through night.
Did you know that there are certain foods that increase your child's height naturally? Foods that are rich in essential nutrients such as Vitamins, Calcium, Zinc, Magnesium etc can prove to be highly instrumental in adding extra inches to your child's height. Read on...
1. Whole Grains - Whole grains are rich sources of Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin B, which play a very vital role in promoting your child's growth during his/her budding years. Additionally, whole grains also contain calories and carbohydrates, which ensure the maintenance of proper weight in your child, imparting him/her with the requisite energy to go on throughout the day. Feed your child whole-grain breads, cereals and pastas to make him healthier and taller.
2. Milk - Milk contains calcium and Vitamin D, which help in bone development during the growing years of a child, besides increasing his/her physical strength. Milk also helps in assimilating different proteins making it one of the best foods to be consumed by your child for attaining a good height. Three servings of milk, or milk products such as cheese or yoghurt, each day will suffice your child's Vitamin D and calcium requirement.
3. Fruits and Vegetables - Fruits are excellent sources of Vitamin A, which is instrumental in ensuring an enhanced rate of bone growth in your child, consequently making him/her taller. You can include carrots, mangoes, sweet potatoes, spinach etc. in your child?s diet to aid his/her height growth. It's advisable to provide him/her with 3 to 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
4. Eggs - To ensure that your child grows taller naturally, providing him/her with a protein rich diet is very crucial. Eggs contain ample amount of protein needed to keep your child energetic throughout the day and help him/her grow taller. One to two eggs per day is considered to be the ideal intake amount for a child.
5. Soybeans - Soybeans are rich sources of protein and help in enhancing the growth of bones and muscles of your child, which in turn adds to his/her height during the budding years. You can cook various soybean dishes or you can add ground soybean powder to the dough while making rotis to make soybean a part of your child?s diet.
Although a child's height is also dependent on his/her genes, a well balanced diet containing these super-foods will increase your child's chances of growing to the fullest to attain a good height.
My son is 4 months 15 days old, last month I checked his head circumstances it was 42 cm and when I checked now it's still the same 42 cm. My pediatric told me every month 2 cm should grow but my son is the same I'm worried but he is very active. Pls suggest me what I should do.
My 3 years girl child suffering from increase of body temperature (1 to 2 degree) and vomiting from yesterday. She didn't eat food properly from 2 days. What medicine can I give to my child to get well?
My baby completed 11 months and his weight is 9.7 kg. Since 5 days he is passing motion like watery and paste form but only once a day. He vomited everything. We have visited local doctor he prescribed ofloxacin solution. And ORS. Vomit has stopped now but he is not eating anything except cerelac. Motion is still watery. Please suggest can I give formula and cerelac? Please help.
If child is between 10-12 years and does not take or avoid food what step or precaution to be taken for the same.
ADHD is one of the commonest behavioral disorders that are found in mostly school going kids. In fact, this kind of trouble might affect kid's ability quite adversely. There are a few signs with the help of which ADHD in kids can be easily detected and some of the commonest ones are emotional turmoil, unfinished tasks, squirm and fidget, low focus careless mistakes and other related ones.
Both interpersonal relationship and schooling success can be hampered to a great extent with this kind of mental disorder. This is why the kids facing the mentioned signs need to be thoroughly diagnosed medically so that the doctors can recommend best treatments that can provide fastest recovery and that too safely and easily.
Best tips for tackling ADHD in kids:
- Setting behavior limits: If you make your kids learn how to lead a disciplined life, then appropriate behavioral limits are established. Arrogant child is mostly exposed towards ADHD.
- Staying calm: Child anger should be efficiently controlled otherwise. ADHD cannot be cured. If the kids remain calm and quiet, then only their concentration level will increase, and they can show productive outcomes.
- Setting pressure free structure: Sensible routines and scheduled charts are to be prepared so that unwanted risks can be easily avoided. If the kids are under tremendous pressure, then they might face different kinds of behavioral troubles.
- Allow kids to make wise choices: If you let your kids free, then only they will be able to take right decisions. Kids with a cool mind can take wise decisions that are very much appropriate for upgrading their performances.
- Advocating child: Child advocating is highly needed for maintaining a good and healthy balance. But too much strictness should be avoided so that your kids' behavior can be controlled with ease. This should be done either by parents or tutors so that they can choose the best direction in life.
- Avoid muting any headstrong child: Communicate with your child so that a proper interaction can be maintained. If your child remains silent for too long, then they might face different behavioral troubles.
- Acquiring knowledge about ADHD: Both parents and kids should have equal knowledge about ADHD and then only the probable signs can be easily avoided, and the necessary treatments can be known.
- Being persistent: Persistent behavior is to be maintained, and if you find any deviation in your kids, then you should take them to a doctor. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychiatrist.
I am a son. He s nine month old. Severe cold & cough from yesterday. I gave Azithral100 mg syp levolin syp bt still no use. Cold & cough increased again. What can I do? Me too having cold. I am feeding him too. My throat paining more. I take benadryl bt my pain increased compared to yesterday. Pls answer me. Doctor. Thanks in advance.
My grandson, 2 years old is diagnosed with more lead (10) in blood against admissible limit (8) and doctor says right from water, food, vessel and everything involved in his diet is to be changed. Please advice.
Although the name sounds scary, this is a self-limiting problem requiring no long term medical attention. This usually appears as red blotches with a central white spot. It can occur anywhere and often involves the entire body.
The most important factor to keep in mind is the baby?s general health. If the baby has no fever, stays alert and active, responds to the mother, feeds normally, and wets and soils the nappy as usual, then there is no need to be alarmed. However, if the baby stops feeding, stops crying or looks groggy all the time, then he or she needs to be assessed by a child specialist.