Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Submit a review for Dr. FanimalaYour feedback matters!
While the mouth has the maximum amount of bacteria in the body, the highest concentration of bacteria in the mouth is on the tongue. It is therefore important to keep a clean tongue to avoid dental issues, starting from plaque formation to severe dental and oral infections.
Why clean the tongue: Before talking about how to go about keeping the tongue clean, let us look at why it should be done.
- Tongue cleaning is one of the main steps to maintaining a good oral hygiene.
- The bacteria that cause tooth decay and gum disease reside on the tongue, and cleaning it can remove the bacteria and therefore reduce tooth decay and gum disease.
- The bad odour produced by decay and gum disease can be avoided.
- Detoxifies the body - it is believed that toxin accumulation happens on the tongue, so daily cleaning helps detoxify the body.
- A cleaner tongue exposes the taste buds, thereby improving the perception of taste.
- Stimulate various other organs -The tongue has like pressure points that connect to various other body parts, and cleaning it helps stimulate these. The tip of the tongue activates the heart; the sides are connected to the spleen, liver, and gallbladder; so on and so forth.
- Cleaner looking tongue - Various food habits tend to give a color to the tongue. Caffeine, for instance, produces a yellow coating, which can be removed by regular brushing.
Choosing a tongue cleaner: Decide on the material and the type of the instrument. Either a plastic or metal or silicone cleaner will do the job equally well. In ancient times, gold or copper scrapers were used as it was believed to be good for health. Pick one of the three -tongue scrapers, tongue cleaners, or tongue brushes. All three are equally effective in cleaning the tongue of the bacteria. If required, motorized tongue cleaners are also available.
- Timing: Good to do it first thing in the morning. Overnight, there is a thick coating of bacteria on the tongue, and therefore cleaning the tongue in the morning is a good habit.
- Swish warm water: Begin with swishing your mouth with warm water, which loosens up the microbial film and thereby making it easier to remove.
- Scraping/Cleaning: Extend your tongue and start from the back of the tongue, as far back as possible without gagging. Toothpaste can be used on the scraper or cleaner if required. With slow, sweeping strokes, clean all the way to the front and then sideways.
- Duration: It is good practice to brush the tongue for about 90 seconds per day.
Tongue cleaning is a simple and effective way to maintain oral and general health. If you wish to discuss about any specific dental problem, you can consult a specialized dentist and ask a free question.
Ia 42 years female am having severe toothache, already night 1 dolokind plus taken, now i am having severe pa shall I take one more painkiller now?
Hey! There is a white layer that has covered almost my tongue! What should I do to cure that! Please suggest me some remedies! Home remedy preferable!
I am 29 year old male I have pain in my jaw and neck before it was pain on chest both side my all the reports regarding chest al are ok positive I have done lipid profile I have done echo and all test regarding chest all are fine. What to do some times its pain on ear also.
I have ulcer problem in my mouth. When I change my location and change my food this problem often occur with me. So suggests me what should I do?
I am 25 year old. I have severe bad breath. What should I do to avoid bad breathe. Im short too. What should I do to grow.
Small swelling in the right underside of the jaw. Happened after vigorously brushing the teeth. At present no pain, but swelling persists. How to get rid of the swelling?
My friends jaw bone is big is there any method to reduce or improve the shape of face so that face looks better.
Hello Friends, I am Dr Saurabh Gogri and I sit in Hindmatas Milestone Dental clinic. Here I have performed many dental procedures such as Root canal treatment, fillings, scaling, braces, implants, crowns and bridges and many other treatment.
Well the frequently asked questions by the patients is which toothpaste should I use? For that any Fluoridated Toothpaste can be used. Basically it contains 1bpm of fluoride, any toothpaste. It can be Pepsodant, Colgate, Oral-b, any toothpaste.
The second most frequently asked question asked is how painful will my treatment be? So actually speaking with the recent advances there is minimal or no pain in any dental procedure with the use of Anaesthesia post root canal and extraction. If there is mild pain that can be controlled with the help of pain killers.
The next question asked is that how may sitting will it take? Usually root canal treatment is known that it takes 2 to 3 sittings. Nowadays with recent advances techniques, we can complete a root canal in a single sitting which will be of maximum one hour.
Next question is why is the Dental treatment costly? Actually dental treatment is not costly . A dentist charges according to material he uses. He uses the best material so he charges a bit more. And also the experience matters. With experience the charges may increase. Thank you Friends.
For further information contact me on lybrate.com