Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ayurvedas in India. You will find Ayurvedas with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurvedas online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
What should be the skin care routine at the age of 24 for better skin texture and complexion or healthy skin?
According to the preconceived notion, drinking alcohol is harmful to the body. It is partly true. Drinking alcohol is harmful to the body, but only in huge proportions. In fact, despite popular belief, drinking alcohol is also good for health.
Here are 8 alcohols that are secretly keeping you healthy:
- Beer: The most common alcoholic drink, beer is loaded with antioxidants called phenols. This protects you against suffering from heart diseases. Beer also lowers the risk of acquiring high blood pressure and helps maintaining it.
- Red Wine: Apart from being a classy drink and having the same benefits of beer, the additional brownie points of red wine is that it helps in increasing life span by generating longevity genes. It also increases good cholesterol and reduces bad cholesterol in the body.
- Ethanol: Ethanol reduces the risk of wear and tear in the brain neurons. Any damage to the neurons may lead to Alzheimer's or dementia. Hence ethanol helps to prevent any harm to the brain cells.
- Vodka: Vodka helps in clearing bad breath as the high alcohol content kills all bad odour bacteria present. It also helps to reduce stress and disinfect wound. It improves the health of the skin and stimulates hair growth. Toothache is also another issue which Vodka can work wonders on.
- Whisky: Whisky helps to numb throat pain when it is gargled in a mixture with warm water. It stimulates weight loss. Whisky also helps in preventing dementia. Other benefits of this drink that it prevents diabetes and cancer. It also helps to keep the heart healthy, increases the level of good cholesterol and terminates blood clots. Whiskey is believed to be one of the healthiest drinks among the alcoholic beverages.
- Tonic: The combination of gin and tonic is very useful while treating malarial infection as it contains quinine; which is used for the treatment of malaria.
- Brandy: Brandy is one alcoholic drink which is full of healthy antioxidants. It has anti ageing properties; hence is very good for the skin. Brandy also reduces the level of bad cholesterol in the body. It also helps in the treatment of bladder and ovarian cancer as well as sore throats and cough.
- Rum: Rum increases life longevity. It is very beneficial for the heart. It also functions as a blood thinner and helps in increasing the level of good cholesterol. Having this wonderful drink occasionally also guards you against osteoporosis and common cold.
Obesity is one of the most dreaded lifestyle ailments today and is spreading like an epidemic all across the world. Owing to slavery to the taste buds and lethargic living conditions, being obese and overweight is affecting all age groups and either sex. The main problem with weight gain is that, not only does it affect the confidence and mental stability of the obese person (making him easy target to mockery), overweight and obesity lays foundation of many other serious diseases. No doubt, weight loss is much sought after by one and all.
Weight loss in ayurvedic dosha types
According to Ayurveda philosophy, Kapha type of individual (having more of water and earth in their constitution) is more likely to gain weight easily. Although, the Vata types having more of air and ether, would generally be skinny and devoid of much fat. The fire types or Pitta dosha personalities who are generally gifted with proportional body weight, could be gaining weight just in case they lose their balance.
In the case of weight gain or obesity, it is believed that the Kapha dosha gets accumulated which further slows down the fat metabolism and leads to the disease of obesity. Therefore, Ayurveda believes that of the three basic dosha types, those people who have more of Kapha dosha in their system generally have a low Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and gain weight easily. Thus, for weight loss, the Kapha types need to be more strict and careful with themselves both in the terms of diet intake and undertaking exercise routine.