Lybrate.com has an excellent community of ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. DeviYour feedback matters!
A blocked nose is not only annoying, but extremely discomforting. Several reasons can be held responsible for it and common cold is certainly not the only one. Some other reasons include:
Therefore, the remedial measures for blocked nose vary, depending on the cause that led to it. Some of the ways by which you can redress this problem are:
- Use a humidifier: Sinusitis is often held responsible for a clogged nose, a condition that is almost always accompanied by severe pain. In such a situation, placing a humidifier in a room proves to be extremely beneficial. This machine treats blocked nose by converting the water to moisture. This fills up the room and significantly increases the humidity of the room. Therefore, when you breathe, the humid air soothes the inflamed blood vessels in the nose and helps you to breathe properly.
- Take a hot shower: When you find it difficult to breathe, a quick hot shower can go a long way in curing the discomfort. The logic that operates is the steam generated from the hot shower thins the mucus and also considerably reduces the inflammation in the nose, allowing you to breathe normally.
- Drink lots of water: Though the suggestion may seem incredible, drinking water actually helps in unblocking that blocked nose. When you drink a lot of water, the mucus in the nostrils is thinned, at the same time it pushes back the accumulated fluids, thereby curbing the condition of blocked nose.
- Using a saline spray: This is one of the most ancient and trusted ways of treating blocked nose. By administering a saline or a nasal spray, the moisture in your nostrils increases and radically diminishes the inflammation.
- Use warm compresses: Using a warm compress has been the most reliable form of medication in times of high temperature and also at times of blocked nose. The compress that was dipped in hot water, when placed on the nose and forehead helps to unblock the nasal passages. The soothing effect of the warm compresses reduces the inflammation and facilitates the process of breathing. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
I am prone to Allergy .Whenever I encountered with dust I start sneezing and in turn rhinitis start and it's very irritating. I am outdoor job. For last six months problem have increased. Sometimes I continuously sneeze for 10 times. My nasal remain blocks every time. There is also irritation in my nostrils. Kindly suggest what to do?
I have a sore throat and have a fever as well. I am suffering from influenza as well plus tired as well.
I'm 18 years old girl and I have problem in my nose. Sneezing blockage pain in nasal bone usually. I usually have headache also bcoz of this. please suggest me wht should I do.
I am suffering from cold running nose and nose blocking especially in the night disturbing sleep for the last one and half months. Recently I went to Denmark stayed there for two months and returned 15 days back I thought that my returning may solve the problem but not so though a it reduced. I used for 10 days acrivini to used not more than 10 days also used okacet allegro also now I started again allegro now in India 3 days back and using nasal drops klaricare sinomarin and flixonase in the night I am 68 yrs old. Please advice me.
My 23 year old son is having a severe neck pain (with shoulder and back pain) since last night as he had a very rigorous travel by flight. It seems he slept with a wrong posture for an hour because of which all this started. Doctor kindly suggest some safe way out since he has 9 hours of work which he cannot neglect He is also having dizziness. Thankingyou.
Nosebleed is a condition wherein blood vessels burst in the nasal lining. Nosebleeds are fairly common and it is rarely a serious condition.
- Anterior nosebleed: It is caused by the eruption of a blood vessel at the tip of the nose. Anterior nosebleeds are generally easy to control by yourself or by a doctor.
- Posterior nosebleed: It is a rare type of nosebleed. Posterior nosebleed mostly occurs in older people. It occurs when an artery bursts behind the nose, which causes the blood to flow down the throat. Posterior nosebleeds are, thus, dangerous, and they need immediate medical attention.
- There are numerous causes of nosebleeds. The most common cause of nosebleeds is dry air. Dry climates dehydrate the nasal membranes (internal nasal tissues). This dryness leads to crusting which can cause irritation or itching.
- Also, if you pick or scratch your nose too much, it can start to bleed.
- Decongestants for allergies, sinus infection or cold and antihistamines can make the nasal membranes dry and cause nosebleeds as well.
Some other causes of nosebleeds include:
- Some sort of foreign object stuck in the nasal cavity
- Allergic reactions
- Repeated sneezing
- Nose injuries (For example, car accidents, a punch to the face, etc.)
- Chemical irritants
- Cold air
- Respiratory Infection
- Consuming high doses of aspirin-high dosage thins the blood down, thus triggering nosebleeds
There are other rarer causes as well, such as:
- High blood pressure
- Bleeding disorder
- Blood clotting problems
Treatment: A nosebleed can easily be treated at home. While in a sitting position, close your nostril by squeezing the soft part of your nose. Hold your nose for ten minutes, then lean slightly forward. Inhale and exhale slowly using your mouth.
Never lie down when you are trying to stop a nosebleed, as you will end up swallowing the blood which can upset your stomach. Remove your hand from your nose after 10 minutes and check if the bleeding has stopped. If it has not, repeat the steps all over again.
However, consult a doctor if the bleeding does not stop or if there is a foreign object stuck in your nose.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.
I have frozen shoulder and my consultant prescribed me nervomax 8R and Nuooxia 90 mg for ten days. Two days later after I started medication third day I had loose motion with stomach pain with slight dizziness. Please advise if I can continue with said medicine? Is it due to those medicine? Please advise.
I'm having constant urge to remove mucous from my throat since 2 years. And I have smoked crazy 10 years nw 5 years heavy smoking. I have Ulcerative colitis took. Taking mesacol of fr dat. Since last week having pain under my tonsils. Pain subsides on salt gargle nd paining during drinking water.
Hi, I got sudden imbalance while walking a month ago, Neurologist identified it as Peripheral Vertigo and medicines are given, which I have been prescribed for 15 days and have been taking for past three days, however the problem persists, what Should I do. The imbalance is there while walking but driving no issue is there. Rgds Amit.
Hello I use to suffer from nasal congestion due to a bent portion in my nose bone for which a doctor suggested to get it operated. Will that help? Now he had prescribed me to use a spray called FLUTIFLO*FT. Using this is having any side effects? I am using this around 2 months. please do reply clearly.
I have sinus problem from 6 months. What medicine I have to take. To which doctor I have to consult either I have to go with homeopathy or general physician.
I've been in Uk for 10 years. My health deteriorated. I developed rhino sinusitis and hiatus hernia. I get lot of phlegm (mucus). I am coping with the problems but my main concern is bad breath which is present even after brushing. I brush 3 times a day and gargle mouth washes or salt water (warm). I think my bad breath comes from throat/stomach. The problem has been there for nearly 8 years. Please help. Thanks.
Hi doctor, I have suffered middle ear loss and having eye weakness pls suggest me which should better.
Dear Dr. I have continuous snoring and insomnia during my sleep and I feel more sedative when I wake up in the morning. Can you please guide me how to recover from this.
Extreme dry mouth, throat, nose and eyes. What can I do? I just was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome. I think this may be the reason for everything dryng up. The most disconcerting thing is my dry mouth and throat. My vocal cords are constantly burning; it even hurts to talk. Foods, toothpaste, spices, etc. And even plain water burns my vocal chords.
What Causes Meniere’s Disease?
Meniere's Disease is a disorder that basically affects the sense of balance and hearing of the patient. This condition takes place in the inner ear and it may cause problems like vertigo, where patients experience a spinning sensation and a ringing sound as well. This is a chronic disorder, which requires a number of lifestyle changes so that it can be managed and treated without becoming a debilitating problem.
Read on to know more about the symptoms and causes of the condition.
Symptoms: The various signs and symptoms of this disease include a feeling of fullness in the ear, which has been affected by the condition. Also, most patients have a spinning sensation and a ringing sound in the affected ear. Nausea and vomiting may also be caused by this condition, along with sweating and loss of balance. It is also normal to feel uncoordinated when you are suffering from this condition.
Secondary Symptoms: This condition may also cause many other complications, which are known as secondary symptoms. These include anxiety, depression and stress. This usually happens due to the problems in the ear and even the problem of vertigo. This may cause problems for people who climb heights or ladders for their work or even for other recreational causes. The constant sense of dizziness and spinning may cause a person to become anxious and undertake stress when it comes to carrying out various kinds of functions in day to day living.
Causes: There are various causes of this condition, even though many medical reports suggest that the exact cause has not really been understood so far. As any doctor will tell you, the in the inner ear there is a labyrinth which contains fluids. When there is a problem with the composition and level of these fluids, the patient may develop Meniere’s Disease. This condition specifically affects the inner part of the ear. This part is made up of passages and a cavity as well as soft membrane like structures with hair like sensors. These sensors respond to the fluid’s movement within the ear. When this fluid does not have the appropriate levels, it can lead to many complications like Meniere’s Disease, which affect the nerve impulse that these sensors catch and transmit to the brain.
Stages: This disease progresses over a set of three stages. In the very first stage, the patient will experience much dizziness and nausea, before that progresses to the second stage. In this stage, the patient will have moderate to severe vertigo. This is also known as the middle stage. Finally, this may culminate into the third or late stage, which leads to more frequent episodes of vertigo. The hearing of the patient and the ringing sound in the ears will also get worse in this stage. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.