Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. D.Sai Baalasubramanian
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. D.Sai BaalasubramanianYour feedback matters!
Every individual experiences anxiety in some form at some point of time. One suffers from an anxiety disorder if one experiences dogged, unrealistic worrying about everyday life. One is said to experience panic attack if the abrupt attacks have symptoms like racing heart, nausea, tremors and intense fear. A panic attack is a sudden rush of overwhelming anxiety and fear. The heart pounds and breathing becomes difficult. If ignored and untreated, panic attacks can lead to panic disorder and may cause one to withdraw from normal activities.
- With a little mindful attention and practice, one can reduce or eliminate the symptoms of a panic attack, manage anxiety, and prevent attacks from occurring in the future and regain control of life. If one is having a panic attack, then the aim is to calm oneself at the moment by breathing deeply. This would reduce the stress and provide oxygen to the brain to help one focus. Hold your breath to start with and reduce the feeling of choking and then begin to breathe slowly. Inhale through nose and exhale through mouth till one notices a difference in muscle relaxation and clarity of thought.
- During a panic attack, your thoughts are often jumbled up. This is due to the fact that one's heart rate has kicked off and breathing is in high gear, muscles are tensed and blood flow is constricted. One should try to focus on one's senses and should distract the mind from fear through different mental diversions. This can be as simple as reciting the lyrics to your favourite song or poem until one has calmed down a bit. It is important that one should make sure not to distract by leaving the situation that has caused the panic. One must ride out the panic attack at the same place else one will likely associate that place or situation with fear triggering future attacks.
- Try to practice progressive muscle relaxation by slowly going through body and tensing and relaxing each muscle group. It relaxes muscles as well as forces one to concentrate on something other than fear. Although, if one want to reduce the anxiety, don't ignore it. One should try stop anxiety producing thoughts and replace them with images of something that brings you happiness or peace. Using guided image of a place where one feel at peace and relaxed, reduce one's experience of anxiety. Further, add details to the scene, so that one is focusing the entire mind on imagining it.
- Taking care of one's physical health will help take care of mental health. Healthy exercise and diet habits will help you manage manage anxiety. Getting an body active, especially through aerobic exercise, releases chemicals that are responsible for increasing ones feelings of peace and happiness. Stimulants like as caffeine and nicotine worsen existing anxiety and dependence on them can increase feelings of stress and anxiety when one don't get enough of it. Eat a balanced diet with plenty of lean protein, complex carbohydrates like whole grains, and fresh fruits and vegetables and avoid processed and high-sugar foods.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am a marijuana smoker and smoke a lot about 10 bongs a day. I masturbate 2 to 3 times a day. I have been doing this past 7-8 years and I am addicted to it. I am getting married in 2 month's and I worry about infertility/ can't give birth and so. I want know whether I am infertile or normal and also pros and cons of masturbation. Can you help me?
Mental Health is - mental/emotional wellbeing. Being mentally healthy means being peaceful from within, being able to deal with life's challenges and being able to manage emotions and relationships, etc.
There is a lot of misunderstanding about "mental health" and 60% of mentally sick or disturbed people are not taken to doctors or other mental health professionals. Instead, they are taken to astrologers, or tantriks. Some are even punished for being crazy.
In today's highly stressful world people do not have time to think and plan their lives. Because of modern lifestyles and nuclear families people do not have outlets to share their feelings and express their intense emotions.
Sometimes emotional wounds like deep hurts, insults, neglect, shaming, physical and/or sexual abuse in childhood, may cause Personality or Behavioural disorders.
A person who loses temper for any small thing, or who is suspicious all the time or the one who breaks down or cries at slightest provocation, or who is jealous and possessive to the extent of being obsessed, or who is anxious all the time etc. needs to understand his/her feelings and find out the root cause of such feelings and behaviours.
Here are a few tips to develop/improve your mental health:
- Learn to express your feelings assertively
- Become aware of your own feelings and emotions
- Understand how to manage your emotions on day to day basis (anger, fear, jealousy etc)
- Review and nurture your relationships and infuse new life into them
- Periodically get rid of past baggage, deep hurts, spoilt relationships, unresolved issues, by resolving them in your mind
- Have a daily routine where your own needs and others' needs are balanced
- Reward yourself
- Develop positive attitude: focus on good events in life and positive affirmations.
- Introspect how often you succumb to negative emotions.
- Keep company of positive people
- Devise own methods for de-stressing
- Keep away from any kind of substance abuse.
- Have some routine exercise regime.
- Do not hesitate to seek professional help from - Counsellor/Psychiatrist/Psychologist
Pay attention to your Mental Health and enjoy life!!