Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. CumithaYour feedback matters!
Vulvodynia refers to a condition in which you have chronic pain near your vaginal opening. This area is known as the vulva. Vulvodynia is an extremely painful condition which also causes a lot of irritation and burning in the vulva. There is no known cause of vulvodynia and it has been said that vulvodynia can go on for months or even years. It is such a painful condition that having sex or even sitting down for extended periods will be troublesome for you.
Here is everything you need to know about Vulvodynia.
There is only one symptom of vulvodynia and that is when there is pain in your genital area. However, the type of pain you experience may be characterized by burning, stinging or itching among other sensations.
The cause of vulvodynia is not yet known. However, there are certain factors which increase the risk of contracting vulvodynia. Here are the factors.
- Injury or irritation to the nerves around the vulva.
- Vaginal infections
- Sensitive skin
- Changes in hormone levels
Vulvodynia itself cannot be cured, only the symptoms of vulvodynia can be relieved. Relieving symptoms is not a very quick process either as it takes weeks and sometimes even months for the symptoms to
improve. Some of the treatments which can be used to treat vulvodynia include.
- Medicines: Certain medicines relieve the symptoms which vulvodynia causes. These medicines include steroids and anticonvulsants so that your pain will be reduced. Antihistamines are known to reduce itching.
- Surgery: When vulvodynia is localized to a particular area, surgery can be used to remove the skin and tissue of the area which has been affected by vulvodynia.
- Anesthetics: Local anesthetics can be given so that your pain is reduced for a short while. A good time to apply local anesthetics would be 30 minutes before having sexual intercourse. This is because most local anesthetics used to treat vulvodynia come in the form of ointments. If your partner comes in contact with this ointment, then he will also be feeling numb.
- Pelvic floor therapy: Many times, vulvodynia is caused by the tension in the muscles of the pelvic floor. Exercises to relieve those muscles often ease the pain caused by vulvodynia. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
We were together on 18th of november and on 26th nov I had my periods but in dec I had only few clotted spots for 2-3 days just in early mornings around 2nd january Should I count these clotted spots as my monthly periods or ignore it or m I pregnant?
More than half the patients with blood pressure are patients of diabetes too. Get your BP checked every time when you visit your doctor! Both BP and Diabetes have bad effects on kidney and as such should be controlled together asap!
I am 23 year old girl who is self experiencing the sex by crossing my legs and hold them tightly when I got a erotic feeling am doing this from five or six years . Am I loosing virginity by doing this so? Did not I bleed at my first mate. Am worrying about this kindly suggest me.
I have a clear watery discharge on 12th - 15th of my cycle but not egg white type, so is it a sign of ovulation?
Hello doctor I am 27 years old married last two year I didn't have kids so this month I did tube test and it's showed both the tube r fine and I did UPT test last Sunday it came out positive but rite now on my left side of my uterus I feel some thing heavy what is it and my doctor told me the my right follicular is only going to rupture this month then why do I get pain on my left side is there any problem.
Brief description on infertility and its treatment
I am Dr. Radhika gynecologist and infertility specialist from Institute of Women's Health and Fertility. Infertility almost in about 10-15% of couples trying for pregnancy are facing problem with conception. This is almost a rising trend that nowadays almost 1 in 6-7 couples have problem in conception.
When we call it infertility? Infertility is nothing but when a couple is trying to conceive without any protection or without any means of protection for almost 1 year of unprotected intercourse we call it infertility. Let me just explain how an infertile couple is taken through an infertile clinic? During the first visit the couple is analysed and they are taken in detail history as what is the cause to infertility? What is the duration of infertility? What is the duration of married life? What is the age of the couple that is the age of the female partner and the male partner? Had there been any pregnancy in the past? Is there any miscarriage in the past? Once the examination and history is taken we go for work up of the patient. That is we see for the ovarian function to ensure that ovary is functioning well that is to ensure that ovulation is going fine. We also look for the tubal factors. Tubal factor analysis is done by a test called salpingogram or hysterosalpingogram. If there is a problem in hysterosalpingogram that is tubes are looking blocked then we analyze with the further test called further the surgical assessment; like laparoscopy.
Once the tubes are cleared we also analyze how the uterus is with the hysterosalpingogram? As I already told you male factor is analysed by Semen analysis after an abstinence of 2 to 5 days. Once all these are ruled out we get to analyze or we get to reach to a conclusion as what may be the probable cause of these infertile couple? There may be few factors like peritoneal factors like an endometriosis. We have the endometrium of the inner layer of the uterus growing elsewhere outside the uterus. That is the inner layer of the uterus or endometrium grow in the ovaries or may grow in the pouch of Douglas. That is behind the uterus or may grow near the tubes. These all cause an addition or attachment of the uterus to the tubes. And they impair the easy pick up of the ovum or the egg from the end of the tube to the ovum end that is the inner end of the tube. When there is no egg pick up there is no pregnancy. Some most of the time in which simple infertility treatments and simple infertility counselling how they have to go about natural conception and when they have to try when the egg is being released? With all these thing itself 70% of the couples would conceive. And only in about 10 to 15% will go to the next step like IUI or further steps like test tube baby procedures. IUI is intrauterine insemination where sperm sample is collected in the laboratory. It is washed off the impurities and the good motile sperms are injected into the uterus through a thin canella or a catheter. This sperms have to travel a very short distance from the uterine cavity into the tube when egg is already picked up and stay. So this distance to be travelled is very short thereby increasing the chance of pregnancy. IUI is of major benefit in minimal or mild male factor infertility.
Once we have seen the other factors are also ruled out and ensure that everything is fine then we counsel the couple for IVF or test tube baby procedure. IVF is in vitro fertilization. What we do in this one is give injections or give continuous injections to the lady which will cause superovulation. Once the eggs attain a mature size we collect all of them through a thin needle into the test tube washed off the impurities and then incubated. The same time the sperm is collected in the laboratory. The egg under sperm is inseminated together and embryos are grown in the laboratory. Once these embryos are grown they are pushed back or transferred back to the womb using a thin capita that is the embryo transfer catheter. After 48 to 72 hours usually or even after 5 days sometimes.
But, in few men or in few couples the problem is the severe male factor infertility. That is we find only few sperms or in the ejaculate we find only few sperms or sometimes not even a few sperms in the ejaculate. In that condition we can surgically aspirate the sperm from the testicular tissue and see if it is already there. Once we get a good sperm from the testicular tissue we inject that good sperm tissue in the cytoplasm of the egg so that we have maximum chance of fertilization. This particular process is called ICSI or Intracytoplasmic sperm injection. So this increases the chance of fertilization and this further increases the chances of pregnancy also. That's it about infertility over you.
Thank you And if you have any issues regarding infertility or regarding counselling about how conception occurs are how to go about trial for pregnancy you can visit us.
How to find virgins at 1st nit? My wife vagina is free at 1st nit time So I can not believe her So tel me sir how is it possible.
Me and my wife want a baby our marriage has been done about 4 months ago But my wife not getting pregnant till now. So please help us.
Now am in 37 weeks of pregnancy. Today mrng went to bathroom I did not control urine. When I was standing urine is passed. My doubt is. I don't know that is urine or water break. Cn you tel me.
Sir I have got a domestic dog bite two days before may I have sexual intercourse with my wife as my post exposure treatment is going. Pl suggest.
I am married since 2000. During periods the sexual thirst of my partner arises considerably forcing me to have sex on 4th day when bleeding stops considerably. please advise me whether this sexual activity is safe. Whether I should go for deep penetration.
I am 24 years old. Before 2 years I got marriage after sex my wife complain burn inside pussy. So why it happened there is some problem its happen last 2 week. please give some suggestions.
In my right breast I have 2 cyst, for that I'm taking homeopathy medicine but it's still same in situation, actually I'm afraid about it can you please tell what should I do for it?
Interstitial Cystitis is also known as painful bladder syndrome. It is characterized by the inflammation of the bladder wall. It is the chronic inflammation of the bladder. The exact cause has not been identified yet, though some believe that it might be due to the defect in the bladder lining or an autoimmune disorder. Interstitial cystitis is believed to resemble a bacterial infection, but the short term antibiotics have been found to be of no or less use.
The symptoms of interstitial cystitis are:
- Frequency of urination during the day and night
- Urgency of urinating
- Pain associated with urinating or pain in the abdomen, vaginal and urethral area
Ayurvedic Treatment for Interstitial Cystitis
- Chanderprabha Vati: This is a blend of 23 natural ingredients. This herbal remedy is useful in patients who are suffering from excess urination problem. This formulation has properties, which are helpful in the urine retention and reduce the inflammation in the pelvic areas. Dosage of this is two tablets twice a day with lukewarm water.
- Chandanadhi Vati: This consist natual ingredients like Shweta chandana (Santalum album), Maricha (Piper cubeba), Gandha biroja satva (Pinus longifolia sap), Kattha (Acacia catechu), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Rala (Vateria indica extract), Karpura (Cinnamomum camphora), Chandana taila (Sandal wood oil) and Daruharidra (Berberis aristata). The product helps to resolve interstitial cystitis by controlling urination, reduces inflammation and burning sensation. Two tablets twice a day with lukewarm water are taken.
- Punarnava Mandur: This is a pack of the herbal remedies and has quite satisfactory results in the patients. This balances the vata and pitta, the major dosha and causes of interstitial cystitis. Two tablets twice a day with lukewarm water is the ideal dosage.
- Varunadi Vati: This is a blend of natural products like Varun (Crataeva nurvala), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris) and Shuddha guggulu (Comniphera mukul). The ingredients have the property to treat the symptoms of interstitial cystitis. This is helpful in urine retention and reducing inflammation. Dosage of this is two tablets twice a day with lukewarm water.
- Boswellia Curcumin: This is prepared by the extracts of Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin (Curcuma longa). This herbal product has anti-inflammatory properties and provides relief from inflammation in the pelvic area and other symptoms associated of interstitial cystitis. The dosage of this herbal product is one capsule twice a day with plain water. Also, if had after meals then it is very effective. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.