Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Geriatricians in India. You will find Geriatricians with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Geriatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. C.VenkatesanYour feedback matters!
I get common cold, cough and bad throat in every weather change please advice the solution and precaution both.
I have had cold for almost a week now. What are some home remedies for treatment of cough and cold. Also what should I do to avoid cough?
Sir, My mother is 51 years old she is suffering from vain weaknesses. Most of the time her neck shivers and body too. So kindly tell me if there is any cure of this problem.
MY Baby, 19 months old get cough regularly. A little amount of cold wind exposure or weather change results in cough accumulation, followed by cough and cold. I want it to get cured permanently. Can any one here please suggests that whether it is possible or not, if yes send me the doctor details. I want a homeopathic treatment.
I have seasonal allergy of cough. When ever season changes cold and cough problem starts and continue till 3 to 4 weeks. Should I take some flu vaccine to get rid of this problem or there is anything else solution to my problem.
I am 25 year old and I am suffering from cough and cold from about 2-3 months. Some time it get worse. What should I do. Please help.
It is the time of the year where Swine Flu is on the rise, follow these essentials to keep it at bay while you enjoy the weather.
1. Wash your hands
As simple as it may sound, washing hands is the most important factor in maintaining your hygiene as well as defence against several infections and influenza. It's the droplets from coughing or sneezing that spread Swine flu. Not only we must wash hands right before eating and after using the washroom, but also after using a tissue or covering your mouth when you sneeze or cough, even when you are fine. A compulsive and soapy hand wash is the best way to prevent spreading the disease.
2. Cover your mouth while coughing/Sneezing
When you sneeze or cough, you let out the droplets from your mouth or nose. It is ideal to use a napkin or tissue to prevent these droplets from spraying on others; whether or not you are unwell.
3. Stay at home
Be at home to prevent the spread of infection when you are unwell. Also wash your hands as much as you can so that nobody around you is infected. This will not only protect others but also help you recover.
4. Do not touch your face
Your Eyes, Nose and Mouth are direct channels for the virus to pass through. Avoid touching your face to prevent the spread of infection.
5. Skip seeing sick people
Avoid any close contact with people who are infected. A sick person might leave a few droplets on things around him/her. Eg: currency, door knobs, taps etc. It is best to let the person recover with as contact as is essential.
This holds true for kids in particular as they most susceptible to such diseases.
Also, follow these essential Home Remedies to treat Swine Flu
1. Drink Plenty of Fluids
2. Take good Rest
3. Consider Pain Relievers, Avoid Aspirin
4. Get Vaccinated
Last week I have travelled from Hyderabad to Shiridi, and again immediately from Hyderabad to Bangalore. When I was in Bangalore I had cold, cough and fever with 100.3 degrees. I have taken Ambrodil syrup and Dolopar tablet. Fever is fine now but I have severe cough since last night. Today since a hour I am getting continuous cough, anything that can be done to get my cough down. Between I have Sinusitis and I am not taking any medication for it. Please advice.
What are the symptoms of flu. How we know if flu is infected me and what are the solution of its please inform me.
It is said that oral health is the best indicator of a person's health. A bad oral hygiene translates down to the rest of the organs, reflecting poor health. And, like all other organs of the body, the oral cavity also is aging and therefore, requires extra attention to maintain good health and requires longer time to heal and get back to its original state. So, as the old adage goes, prevention is better than cure.
The following are some reasons why oral health in older patients is very important:
- Food and nutrition: Be it a regular decay or rare cases of oral cancer, poor oral health means reduced food intake. In the elderly, the tissues supporting the teeth (periodontium) deteriorates, leading to loosening of teeth and inability to eat and chew food. This gets into a vicious cycle, and for the elderly, good healthy nutrition is very important for overall health. If decayed teeth and weak teeth are not allowing them to eat well, the overall health takes a toll too.
- Overall health: Poor oral health is associated with higher incidence of diabetes and heart disease. Also, in diabetics especially, the periodontal tissue is easily affected and prone to infection. This leads to not just tooth mobility, but also root caries. The incidence of abscess and cyst associated with root caries is much
- higher than decay in the crown portion of the tooth. The simple logic is that there is more tooth structure covering the crown than the root, and therefore, the decay reaches the pulp a lot more quickly.
- Medications and side effects: Dental pain, those who have experienced will swear to be one of the worst pains to go through. And in old age, it is something that is best avoided. So, better oral care and hygiene measures become all the more important. Once pain sets in, the antibiotics and painkillers become necessary, bringing with them a host of side effects.
Simple Management tips:
- Brush twice a day using fluoridated toothpaste
- Rinse with each meal with a mouthwash is possible, else with plain water
- Floss regularly to prevent interdental caries
- Routine bi-annual visits to the dentist, especially if you are prone for decay or have dry mouth. Whether it is a small decay or a lesion, the dentist will be able to detect it early and arrest and/or treat it
- Don't ignore lumps or sore throat that is persistent
- Quit smoking, use of tobacco (if applicable)
- Healthy diet that is rich in fiber
To avoid the vicious cycle of dental symptoms and complications and their effect on general health, it is advisable to do some basic hygiene measures.