Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. Bhartha SarathyYour feedback matters!
Would you please recommend an effective treatment to control the terrific pain around the knees due to Osteoporosis/Osteoarthritis without any side effects?
I have problem in my right hand, when I have through any kind of goods like cricket ball, that time my arm is paining. please help me to overcome this problem.
I am 22yr. Old boy. I have a problem of back pain and headache from last two days. That's why I can't concentrate on my study. Please suggest me.
I am 22 years old. I have pain in my testicles and sometimes its swollen too. What should I do. please help doctor.
I feel weak very often. Many a times my hands feel numb. If I do not take food on time I can not even stand stil feeling firm from inside. I have erectile dysfunction also. What I think is I take too much stress. What should I do to gain strength from inside.
Sir I have dark circles below my eyes. what is reason behind it and also I am suffering from back pain from last 3 months.
My wife she is 25 years old her health is good but she said everyday left hand (solder to hand) has pain since 2 months. One more she had sleep in night time over all 4 to 5 hours sleep only. She do not sleep properly. Please advise.
She has a problem of knee joint pain since 2 years. Especially when there is a rain or takes bath with cold water. please help.
Knee joint pain from past 3-4 years. Doctors say its a minor injury and they can not perform an operation. They suggest physiotherapy but it's been so long and no improvement is made. Please help.
My brother is 28 years old he had an accident and had head injury in right side doctor operated him and he got recovered after some days he had meningitis infection and doctors did again a surgery but after that he did not recover and still not alert just conscious only and completely bedridden. Pls help and suggest it's been 3 months now.
You know it’s time for a knee replacement surgery when you can’t walk, move or get up from a chair without pain in spite of taking medications, physiotherapy and following a pain management therapy for a long time. Knee replacement surgery is also known as arthroplasty, and it’s one of the most common bone surgeries around.
Causes of Knee Pain
Most people suffering from arthritis of any kind- osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and post-traumatic arthritis are the ones who may require a knee replacement surgery when their condiition becomes severe.
It helps ease pain and helps one move freely.
- Osteoarthritis- This is mostly caused due to age-related ‘wear and tear’ of the knee joint and usually occurs in people who are older than 50 years. In this condition, the cartilage that cushions the three main bones of the knee wears away. This makes the bones rub against one another, causing stiffness and knee pain. Osteoarthritis is the main reason why people go for knee replacement surgery.
- Rheumatoid arthritis- In this type of arthritis, the synovial membrane that surrounds the knee joint becomes inflamed. This chronic inflammation then damages the knee cartilage and leads its loss and attendant pain, and stiffness.
- Post-traumatic arthritis- This happens after a serious knee injury. It can lead to tears of the knee ligaments and bones which leads to damage to the knee cartilage.
- Loss of blood flow to the bones – osteonecrosis – also may require knee replacement surgery.
- Those with deformities like knock knees and bowed legs also may require knee replacement.
Knee Replacement Surgery
During this surgery, an orthopedic surgeon removes the damaged part of the knee and replaces it with an artificial metal or plastic joint. This artificial joint is then attached to the thigh bone, the shin, and the kneecap with a special cement-like material.
Different Types of Knee Replacement Surgery
There are four main types of knee replacement surgery-
- Total knee replacement- This is the most common type of surgery. In this, your surgeon replaces the entire knee including the thigh bone and shin bone that connect to the knee.
- Partial knee replacement- This type of surgery is performed if arthritis affects only one side of your knee. However, this type of surgery is done only if you have strong knee ligaments. This is performed through a smaller cut than is needed for total knee replacement.
- Kneecap replacement- This type of surgery replaces only the under-surface of your kneecap.
- Revision knee replacement- This is a complex surgery which is performed in case you have very severe arthritis.
A knee replacement is actually a knee "resurfacing" because only the surface of the knee bones is actually replaced during the procedure. It is a relatively safe procedure and the patient does not have any side effects. All a patient is required to do is take proper rest and follow the instructions of your doctor. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Orthopedist.