Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Occupational Therapists in India. You will find Occupational Therapists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Occupational Therapists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Control Program Occupational Health - Pcmso
Minor Ot Service Procedures
Occupational Therapy Treatment
Sensory Integration Therapy
Speech Therapy Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Balaji BYour feedback matters!
My mother was diagnosed with chikungunya earlier last month. She had red eyes, swelling and pain in legs and hands and platelet was around 1 lac. Now the platelets are fine around 2.2 lacs but she still has swelling and pain in legs and hands. Please advise.
Is there any chance to decrease umbilical hernia gradually by yoga and healthy lifestyle, with healthy foods like aloevera juice, chamomile,sphered purse herbs,
Hi. I can't bend my thumb from joint but with any support I can do so ,by own I am not able to bend and there is no pain or hurt, please tell me what is problem and how to cure it any medicines.
Hernia is not life threatening, but is commonly experienced by a number of people. You will experience hernia when an organ pushes through the muscles or tissues surrounding them. A hernia can occur anywhere in the body. The most common areas affected by it are the abdominal area, upper thigh, groin and belly button. In most cases, a surgery is required to treat this condition.
There are 4 common types of hernias. These are:
- Inguinal hernia: This is the most common type of hernia and affects more men than women. It occurs when the intestines push through the lower abdominal wall into the inguinal canal.
- Hiatal hernia: This commonly affects elderly people and occurs when the stomach pushes upwards through the diaphragm. It may also affect children if they are born with a congenital birth defect.
- Umbilical hernia: This affects children and occurs when the intestine pushes through abdominal wall near the bellybutton.
- Incisional hernia: This occurs after an abdominal surgery when the intestine pushes through the scar or other weak tissues.
A hernia can develop overnight or over a period of time. It can be triggered by many factors that cause weakening of muscles and strain the body.
Some of these are:
- Congenital defects such as the abdominal wall failing to close properly
- Persistent coughing
- Surgical errors or injuries
- Pressure on the abdomen caused by pregnancy
- Straining as a result of constipation
- Collection of fluid in the abdomen
- Heavy weight lifting
- Excess weight gain
If anyone in your family has a hernia, you are at a high risk of suffering from one as well. Being obese and smoking can also increase your risk. Cystic fibrosis can also indirectly trigger a hernia by causing a persistent cough. Sometimes a hernia has no symptoms. A bulge in the affected area is the most common symptom of a hernia.
Some other symptoms that you may notice are:
- Pain in the affected area
- Weakness or pressure in the abdomen
- A burning or aching sensation in the affected area
- Acid reflux
- Chest pain
- Difficulty swallowing
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.