Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Neurologists in India. You will find Neurologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Bala Subramanyam
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Spine Surgery Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi) Treatment
Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi)
Assistive Walking Device Training
Vagus Nerve Stimulation ( Epilepsy )
Submit a review for Dr. Bala SubramanyamYour feedback matters!
Sixty to seventy percent of those individuals will develop diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN) at some point during their lives. In fact, DPN is the most common diabetes complications and it?s an increasingly-common problem within the African-American community. There are several ways to prevent diabetes-related complications, but if you?re already one of the millions of people living with DPN every day, here are three ways to manage your symptoms.
1.Lower your blood glucose levels.
Keeping your blood sugar levels in check is absolutely critical when it comes to treating DPN because it lowers the patient?s risk of developing complications, including urinary tract infections and amputation.
?Keeping your blood sugar controlled is essential to managing DPN,? When your blood sugar is controlled, the blood flow can improve with time if it?s still early in the disease.
2. Change your lifestyle.
That means eating healthier and incorporating more raw foods into your everyday diet, exercising regularly if you don?t already and not smoking.
?Appropriate diet and exercise helps in several ways. Both of which will have a direct impact in controlling you blood sugar,? Dr. Carter says. ?You also get the added benefit of better blood flow. Exercise has been shown to improve blood flow and help regulate the hormones involved in regulating your blood sugar i.E. Insulin and cortisol. Exercise can help control the low-grade inflammation you get in the nerve cells when your blood sugar is not controlled as well.?
Depression and anxiety are quite common among people with DPN since many patients lose the ability to perform simple, everyday tasks, such as cooking, driving and tying one?s shoes. If you?re already taking medication prescribed by your doctor, then by all means, continue to do so, but consider adding meditation to your everyday routine. According to a 2011 study published in the Journal of Neuroscience, people who meditate regularly experienced less pain.
?Not often thought of, meditation can be quite helpful,? Dr. Carter says. ?By helping lower your stress levels, it will help your blood sugar control, lower your vascular tone and how tense your blood vessels are [while] improving the blood flow to those nerves as well.?
How to get rid of insomnia? Getting to addicted not to sleep. Please help as soon as possible thanking you.
I feel so week inside that I don't feel like talking walking and even eating. Leg cramps all time my legs sleep with me ie numbness .what could be the reason.
My mother suffered a seizure. After she has been given levipil. In MRI there is written that microvascular ischemic changes (FAZEKA SCORE 1) involving juxta cortical white matter of bilateral frontal-parietal regions with periventricular leokoaraiosis. Please tell me is it normal?
I've Photosensitive Epilepsy. I've been treating with gabapentin 300mg bd for 2 years It doesn't work well Please tell me what should I do.
If you are being treated for Parkinson's disease. How can you maximize the effect of Levodopa? The effect of levodopa can be maximized by increasing its absorption from the digestive system. In particular, taking levodopa on an empty stomach is very important.
- Take on an empty stomach: Do not eat anything 1 hour before taking levodopa. Do not eat anything for at least 30 minutes and if possible 1 hour after taking it. Take the pill with 2 glasses of water so that it can dissolve. If taking the levodopa on an empty stomach makes you nauseous, confirm that your medication has the right amount of carbidopa in relation to the levodopa (25%). If you continue to feel nauseous, you can eat a piece of white bread around the time that you take levodopa. Do not apply any butter, yogurt, cheese or similar high protein spreads. Protein can drastically decrease the absorption of levodopa.
- Get your constipation treated: This is critically important too. Being constipated can slow down the passage of levodopa through the digestive system. In most patients, drinking adequate water and taking stool softeners is helpful.
- Get your ulcer treated: It can be difficult to recognize that you have a gastric ulcer. However, if you have a burning sensation in your stomach at any time, or belch frequently, you may have a gastric ulcer. If you think you have an ulcer you should get tested (there is a simple breath test now) and treated with antibiotics (not antacids!)
- Do not take levodopa with iron tablets: The iron binds to levodopa and prevents its absorption. Keep a gap of at least two hours between these two medications.
- Try taking levodopa with orange juice and carbonated water (soda): Mix equal quantities of orange juice and carbonated water (soda). Take your regular levodopa with a glass of this preparation instead of water. The carbonated water hastens disintegration of the tablet, and the acidity of both things helps in levodopa absorption. There are special tablets of levodopa (dispersible levodopa, Madopar) which can be dissolved in this preparation. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Neurologist.