Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Bala.S.V.SYour feedback matters!
Causes of cancer in India
- Overpopulation and the problem of nutrition- As records show, India is the world's third most populous country. However, it lacks in resources to feed the multiplying number of mouths. Nutrition plays a key role in deciding the quality of a person's life. Nutrition has therefore emerged as an essential branch of research and medical care in the last few decades. Lack of nutrition directly results in weakened immunity. Your body becomes prone to diseases, some of which can be fatal. To fight off cancer cells, one must have a strong immune system that comes from the right kind of nutrition.
- Smoking is a recurrent habit among children and adults- Smoking can cause cancer. Every cigarette packet reads the same warning messages but it doesn't actually deter smokers in any way. Smoking is prevalent among people of all age groups in India. From poor children to conscious educated adults, all are seen smoking.
- A Tropical country and its woes- Tropical countries are known to face the wrath of the sun. While most places in central, western, partly eastern and southern India experience extremes of temperature in summer, other places with moderately hot summers are not exempted from the harmful UV rays. Ultraviolet rays can be very harmful for one's skin; it causes skin cancer. Indians have a high amount of melanin which protects them against sun rays but the threat exists nonetheless.
- The concept of fast food- A global economy has opened avenues awaiting your attention in the realm of food. To suit the tones and moods of a fast life, fast food has been made available to you. We take pride in consuming things that can be prepared in an instant: instant noodles, soups, and even curries. Packaged food and junk food are sources of cancer cells.
- Lack of awareness regarding the most common types of cancer- Breast and cervical cancer are the two most common types of cancer eating away the health of Indians. The problem lies in being unaware about the root causes, symptoms and treatment procedures related to these kinds of cancer. Social repression turns health concerns into matters of insignificance. Women fear social alienation after coming in the open with their problems. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Physician.
Regular medical checkups and tests can be very helpful in prevention of cancer and growth of malignant cells or tumours. With the increase in the rates of cervical cancer, gynaecological checkups are of utmost need. For effective cervical cancer prevention, Pap smear bears the maximum number of success rates.
Pap smear is a medical procedure that helps to detect cancer or signs of other cervical infections. The Pap smear test however cannot detect ovarian cell cancer or uterine cancer. It is known to detect changes only in the vaginal cells and cervical dysplasia. Cervical dysplasia refers to the growth of pre-cancerous cells.
How this test is conducted?
1. Pap smear is conducted when the woman is not menstruating.
2. An instrument called speculum is inserted into one’s vagina to be able to access the cervix more easily.
3. Pap smear involves the collection of sample cells from the outer cervix area.
4. Cervical brush is inserted into the speculum and the sample cells are collected.
5. Then, the samples are put on a glass slide for further evaluation.
6. The Pap smear procedure takes only a few minutes bu can prevent serious medical problems in the long run.
7. The Pap smear is not a painful procedure, though it may be slightly uncomfortable for a few minutes only.
Who can undergo Pap smear?
1. Women can undergo Pap smear procedures once they are of 21 years of age and are generally sexually active
2. Women can go for pap smears up to the age of 70
3. Pap smears should be conducted preferably every two or three years
4. Women aged 65 and above and who have had no abnormalities in the last three consecutive tests, may stop taking pap smears
5. Before undergoing the test, it is important to stop douching and using vaginal creams for at least 2 days.
6. If there has been a case of multiple and frequent change of sexual partners, then you must go for Pap smear frequently
7. Women with weak immune system and who bear the risk of HIV Aids
8. Women who are heavy smokers
I started feeling breast pain on left side of my body. If I lift my left hand upwards or if I do any work involving my left hand, I will get the pain. Initially I thought if I work more I am getting pain, but later I realized it's not true. I feel the pain even if I don't do more work. Although I feel less pain most of the time, some times I feel the pain is quiet more. I don't feel tired but I feel the pain. Should I go for scanning of my heart? Kindly advise me and please provide me precautions to avoid the pain. Thank you in advance.
I had uterine cancer scare in 2015. I had undergone hysterectomy. Though all the tests were negative for cancer I have developed a fobia of cancer. I always feel sick. My stomach aches all the time. N in dreams also I always see sickness or sick people. Most of the time myself .Is this neurological disorders. I try to remain happy n keep myself busy. But subconsciously I always see myself taking medication and injections. Please advice.
Hello meri wife ke boobs kabhi kabhi pain hote the phir usne unko press karna or vaginal masturbation karna start kar diya lagbhag 3-4 months tak usne aisa kya lekin ab uske boobs me zada pain hota hai aur is bar usko period, period date se 8 din pehle hi aa gya tha to iske kya reasons ho sakte hai kya ise serious lena chahiye ya ab usko kya karna chahiye jisse uski period date aur boobs ka pain sahi ho jaye please help soon.
I am 34 years old last year I have operation tongue cancer and radiation also so what care I have to do?
What is the causes of the cancer and what are the symptom of the cancer and how can we prevent from them?
I want to in detail about prostate enlargement. Why is it caused? What are the effects of it? How to treat it? Is it treatable? Please tell in detail about the disease not the medication.
I have enlarged prostrate. This was routinely detected in ultrasound. What do you suggest. I am taking urimax D.Except that I have to go more often to pass urine there is no pain any where. Can you suggest something to get relief.
How to protect our selves from getting cancer? What are steps to be taken to be protected? What are diet to be taken?
Cancer konsi problems se hota hai? Body ke kis kis jaga par hota hai? Cancer hone par kya karna chahiye. Jo cancer thik ho jaye.
I am 22 years old girl, I had an injury near my left breast 4 years back. But now I feel pain in that area I have painkillers bt no relief I get. I feel the pain while sleeping also. There is no mark but a very small lump I feel in my breast whenever I press that injured area. Please suggest me wht should I do or which specialist should I consult because nowadays m feeling the pain more frequently. Is there any tests required to detect the actual cause behind the pain? Please suggest me what should I do.
What are the symptoms of vagina cancer? How we can understand from the beginning? A enlargement at the uterus is what symptom?
While cancer has become a common place disease, most of its causes remain unknown. Most of us are not aware that few regular everyday materials present in most households are potential causes of cancer. Lets know about them, the health hazards they can cause, and be aware.
Check this list.
1. Shower curtains - shower curtains are made of toxic chemicals which get into not only the shower or the bath but also into the environment. It emits harmful chemicals which are called voc (volatile organic chemicals) and can prove to be very harmful for us.
2. Deodorants - deodorants and antiperspirants are known to have various ingredients which have cancerous properties. These sprays stay on our bodies for hours, until we wash them off. While on our bodies, they chemicals harm our skin and even through it.
3. Strong shampoos - many shampoos contain toxic chemicals though there is no scientific proof that they cause cancer. However, the array of chemicals used to make shampoos is definitely harmful for us and best, if avoided.
4. Room fresheners - air-fresheners, like deodorants have vcos which are toxic and extremely harmful for us. They aggravate asthma and even affect reproductive development. They have hazardous components which can be cancerous. It is advisable to use essential oils.
5. Scented candles - scented candles mostly have wicks made of lead. While they serve a good purpose, there is no point in using something which gives momentary relief but can prove hazardous in the long run.
6. Certain paints - permanent markers, acrylic paints, solvents, etc contain hazardous chemicals which have been associated with occurrences of cancer, allergies and oral damages.
7. Gardening chemicals - household pesticides, herbicides or fungicides that we often use in gardens can contain carcinogenic materials which are believed to cause lymphomas and breast cancer (in animal models).
8. Plastic food/beverage containers - plastic materials containing bpa, or bisphenol a are believed to dangerous for health. So when one is using plastic bottle or food container make sure it is bpa free.
9. Nonstick cookware - cooking utensils which are made with a nonstick coating (teflon) is suspected to be a carcinogen. The main chemical in nonstick coatings is perfluorooctanoic acid (pfoa) is known to cause cancer. Glass, cast iron, copper, and ceramic or pfoa free nonstick cookwares are safe.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on'consult.
From lybrate: if you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over whatsapp, facebook and other media.
I have diabetes type 2 for last 35 years, I am aged 65 years in 2011 I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma oral had undergone operation twice, chemotherapy 9 cycles radiation for 1 month, I am free from carcinoma although every 3 month I go to head & neck surgeon for check up also suffering from lumbar spondylosis and cervical spondylosis frozen shoulder can't sit on floor or cross legged can't move steadily please suggest some remedy .
Hello Dr. I have a lump in my left side breast. It is over and Its size around 1.5 cm- 2 cm. I was tested FNAC test and result is it is fibroadenoma. It is never pain. But sometimes like if I press forcefully or sometime automatically pain started. Please suggest me some oil or home remedies for remove this lump.
The study shows the test which monitors the blood levels of dna fragments from dead cancer cells helps in tracking the severity and potential spread of the skin cancer