Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Rheumatologists in India. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Rheumatologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. B.RajeswariYour feedback matters!
My mother is 40 yrs old and she is suffering from seviour leg pains below the knees and her feets are burning from past one month doctor asks to do diabetics test we had done that its normal. She is unable to sleep due to pain. Please help.
When I make sit ups a cracking sound comes from my knees, what problem I am having? How can I cure it through some exercise?
I have a problem in my knee after an accident. It does not create problem except cycling. What should I do?
I am 48 years old male and having problem in left knee. My weight is 82 kgs. Please suggest me the remedy ?
My father is having pain in his knee since 15 year, sometimes it swells and pains so much any help to reduce the pain as well as swelling.
I am having problems in my knees. And it matters all the time for me while playing cricket and it is impossible for me to stand properly after playing it.
Sir my name is masud ali molla I am suffering a problem in my knee some days ago I am playing cricket and my brother hit my left knee.
I have mild pain on the inner side of knees. When I stand up after being sat down crossed legs. Or sometimes when crossing legs. Left leg hurts more.
I am having knee pain from last 15 days, I work in a bank all day sitting in chair and working on computer. From last 15 days I have knee pain and when I sit in any position for 20 to 30 minute then I can not quickly stand up due to knee pain, when I use icepack on knee I feel very good. Please suggest.
If you are suffering from arthritis, it is important for you to know about how it affects your knee and other joints. Arthritis is a chronic, systematic inflammatory disease which damages your joints and connective tissues. Your knee is commonly affected by arthritis and there are three primary types of arthritis that occur in the knees. They include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and post-traumatic arthritis.
Types of arthritis
The different types of arthritis affecting the knees occur due to different reasons. Osteoarthritis is a progressive condition, which wears away the joint cartilage over time. Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory condition, which may occur at any age. Post-traumatic arthritis occurs after an injury is inflicted to the knee and may occur several years after a ligament injury or knee fracture.
- Arthritis pain may occur all of a sudden, but commonly develops slowly. In the early stages, the pain is observed in the morning after you have been inactive over the night. Pain is likely when you want to move around. Pain may be experienced even when immobile.
- Periodic inflammation is a common symptom of arthritis of the knee. This happens because of the formation of bone spurs or excess fluids in your knee. The swelling gets pronounced after being inactive for a long period. The skin on your knee may look red and feel warm while you touch it. This may lead to chronic inflammation, which is very difficult to manage.
There are several ways of treating knee arthritis. The mode of treatment depends on the severity and cause of knee arthritis. NSAIDS or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are commonly prescribed for dealing with arthritis pain temporarily. Other medicines used for knee arthritis treatment are as follows:
- Analgesics, which help in pain reduction act as good alternatives to NSAIDS.
- Corticosteroids are used for reducing inflammation.
- Certain DMARDs or disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs are used.
Certain injections that are used for helping with knee arthritis. They include:
- Hyaluronic acid supplements, which ease the pain and inflammation by lubricating your knee joints.
- Corticosteroid injections also soothe inflammation and pain.
You may also require a surgery for dealing with knee arthritis when other modes of treatment fail. The most common surgeries are as follows:
- Total joint replacement, where your knee is replaced with a prosthetic made of metal, plastic or ceramic.
- Osteotomy, where the knee bones are modified for controlling pressure and damage in the knees.
- Arthroscopy, where an incision is made in the knee for removing damaged parts.
It is recommended for you to consult a doctor, if you experience any symptom of knee arthritis. Early treatment will prevent the condition from worsening.