Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Neurosurgeons in India. You will find Neurosurgeons with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurosurgeons online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. B.Chendilnathan
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Treatment of Spine Injuries
Brain Tumor Surgery
Treatment of Disc Prolapse
Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
Accident Injuries Treatment
Spine Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. B.ChendilnathanYour feedback matters!
Sleep apnea is a sleeping disorder in which you experience frequent breathing pauses while sleeping. In case of some, the pauses may last for just a few seconds, while for others, it may continue for a few minutes. Sleep apnea is generally chronic in nature. There are three types of sleep apnea, namely Central, Obstructive and Complex sleep apnea. Central sleep apnea occurs if the brain fails to transmit signals to the muscles responsible for your breathing functions. Obstructive sleep apnea occurs due to relaxation of your throat muscles. Complex sleep apnea refers to a combined condition of both central and obstructive sleep apnea.
Some of the possible causes of sleep apnea are as follows:
- Blockage of airway during sleep can cause sleep apnea
- Putting on weight can cause obstructive sleep apnea
- In some cases, large tonsil tissues can lead to obstructive sleep apnea in small children
- Intake of certain medicines like Oxycontin or MS Contin can cause central sleep apnea
- Male people are more prone to sleep apnea
- Smoking is also a potent trigger for sleep apnea
- At times, high blood pressure can induce sleep apnea
- Suffering from sinus can also lead to sleep apnea
- Large neck size (more than 16 inches) may cause sleep apnea
In case of some people, sleep apnea might be an inherited condition.
The most common symptoms of sleep apnea are mentioned below:
- Sometimes, obstructive sleep apnea is accompanied by choking or snorting sounds.
- You may encounter breathing trouble while sleeping, leading to a disruption of your sleep.
- Maximum times, sleep apnea is accompanied by snoring.
- Sleep apnea leads to a dry mouth, which can disturb your sleep.
- You may feel dizzy during daytime. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent specialist.