Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Submit a review for Dr. Arul Murugan PonnuswamyYour feedback matters!
Metabolic syndrome: Causes and symptoms
Metabolic syndrome refers to a group of conditions that occur together and increase your chances of developing stroke, diabetes, and heart problems. This set of conditions includes high blood sugar, abnormal levels of cholesterol, abdominal fat, and high blood pressure. More importantly, having just any one of these conditions doesn't mean that you suffer from this problem.
What really brings about this condition?
Experts are still not sure as to what causes the development of this condition; the causes and risk factors can be manifold.
Some of the causes can be,
1. Insulin resistance - A hormone produced by the pancreas in your body, insulin plays the vital role of helping your body to use the glucose as fuel. The problem of insulin resistance causes your body to produce more of this hormone so as to tackle the rising glucose levels in your body. Closely connected to excess belly fat, it causes the development of diabetes.
2. Overweight or obesity - Instances of obesity can also cause you to develop metabolic syndrome. More specifically, abdominal obesity can see your prospect increasingly significantly. It can bring about problems like insulin resistance and other associated conditions.
3. Abnormal hormone levels - Even the behavior of hormones can affect your chances of developing this health condition. For example, the hormonal disorder like PCOS can cause metabolic syndrome.
4. Unhealthy lifestyle - Having too much of processed foods without an adequate amount of physical activity can increase your prospects of developing metabolic syndrome. Eating a heart-healthy diet, which is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fish can help to curb this problem.
How to identify this health condition?
When it comes to symptoms, this group of disorders doesn't reveal any specific signs but symptoms associated with individual health conditions that make up this group. You can come across signs like an increased waistline, or symptoms associated with diabetes like increased urination, a thirsty feeling, blurred vision, and fatigue.
Nonetheless, you're said to suffer from this problem if you exhibit these characteristics:
- Abdominal obesity marked by waist size of over 40 inches in men and 35 inches in women
- Triglyceride levels of 150 and above
- Blood pressure levels of 130/85 and above
- Fasting blood sugar measuring 110 and above
- Good cholesterol levels less than 50 in women and 40 in men
I am 24 married 7 month back I am having pcos I have taken follicular study and rupture injection are ruptured but negative results and period not came today is 45 day what can I do now doctor.
Hi I am 31 years old mother of an 8 years old son. I am trying for the next issue from last 1 year. My problem is that whenever my ovulation days comes and we have to intercourse only at that time I get suffered from severe vaginal infection. After the ovulation days the problem is automatically cured up without any medication. I am very tensed due to this. please help me. I am also taking fertility treatment but my gynea is unable to resolve my problem please give me some suggestions towards it.
I am, 27 years old, even now before periods I get a severe pain in stomach with vomiting. Can you please suggest me to aware of it.
Had unprotected sex on the 7th day of cycle What are the chances for pregnancy? Is I Pill suggested for avoiding the pregnancy?
Hi, one of my friends girl friend has got pregnant of 15 days and she doesn't want child as they are not married please suggest what they will do and what medicine help her she is 19 years old .
Agar women pragnant ho to basically kitne dino ke baad pata chalta ke wo pregnant hai. Kya 15 se 20 dino me pata chal jata hai? Vomiting shuru ho jati hai?
I am 42 years old housewife. Having thyroid and menstrual problem. Not having period for last 3 months. Feeling chapped skin at upper lid. Also having dry skin problem though generally I am having oily skin. Takes medicine for thyroid and use good skin products. Also overweight.
Had a miscarriage in december. Hubby is using steroids now. What can we use to fall pregnant faster.
I hav not got my period its already 13 days. I took hgc test on 10th day of my missing period its negative. I feels like period (pain) but I am unable to get till now we are confused and scared help. We did sex once it was around 8 th day of my cycle.
1. Start slow
Don’t just jump right in and start exercising five days a week -- that’s a recipe for disaster, says john higgins, md, director of exercise physiology at the university of texas health science center in houston. It’s better that you gradually work up to exercising several days per week while you see how your body responds.
“Start slow and go slow,” Dr. Higgins said. “the current recommendation is 2-3 days per week, for at least 30 minutes per day. But for someone who is just starting out, we recommend that they start at 1-2 days per week and ramp it up from there.”
Tip 2: Know when to stretch
Stretching right before a workout may seem like the best thing to do, but you might be putting yourself at risk of injury.
“After you warm up, you should stretch your muscles and hold it for about 15 seconds,” higgins said. “you are less likely to injure yourself when you’re stretching if your muscles are already a little warmed up.”
Tip 3: Mix it up
Whether you’re going for weight loss or bulking up, a mixed regimen of aerobic and strength training is the best way to achieve the body you want. But even within those categories, don’t stick to the same exercises every day, higgins said.
Jillian michaels' workout dos and don'ts
Want to see results at the gym? here are a few dos and don’ts to help you get more bang for your buck.
“don’t go running every day,” he said. “it’ll get boring and you’ll get to a point where you don’t enjoy it anymore. Try biking, or the elliptical or whatever you enjoy most. If you like to play basketball or tennis, do that, because you’re more likely to stick to something you enjoy.”
In addition, move between the four various types of exercise, which are aerobic, resistance (strength) training, flexibility (which includes yoga) and balance, which is especially important for seniors.
Tip 4: Know your weight and the right way to use it
Most people are confused the first time they walk into a gym, higgins said, but are afraid of asking for advice. But if that’s you -- get over it.
“if you don’t know ask,” he said. “by law, gyms have to have people who can help show you how to work out on the machine, and it can save you from badly injuring yourself.”
In addition, many gym newbies go for the heaviest weight they can -- a rookie mistake.
“Go on a weight machine and, starting at the lowest weight, pull it down and keep adding on from there. Just keep increasing the weight until you reach a point where you can only do one or you can’t do any. That’s too much”
Once you find your maximum weight, two-thirds of that number is where you should start.
“You should be able to do about 12 reps,” higgins said. “it should be easy, but it shouldn’t be difficult to the point where you’re straining.”
Finally, once you have a weight you’re comfortable with, don’t get too eager to increase it.
“You should not increase it more than 10 percent in a week,” higgins said. “if you do, your risk of injury increases exponentially.”
Tip 5: Know when to take a break
When people start out, they are often overzealous and try to get to the gym every day, higgins said. However, by not letting your body rest, you can be doing much more harm than good.
“If you don’t give your body time to heal and repair itself, your performance will go down and you’ll get into a vicious cycle where you never fully recover,” he said.
And if you’re sore after a workout, that’s good -- unless it hurts too much.
“It is normal to have pain and soreness after exercise,” higgins said. “don’t run to take a painkiller, because that can mask pain and cause you to do real damage to your body. Let yourself recover naturally.”
A question of balance
The only issues would be if one partner doesn't want to have as much sex as the other, in which case the frequency needs to be negotiated. Most couples have to navigate this area at some point. The other issue is if your focus is so much on sex that you have no other way to relate to each other. Sex shouldn't be the only activity you enjoy together.
If you're single, daily sex isn't necessarily harmful, but it does indicate a rather one-dimensional approach to life. And the more sex you have with multiple partners, the more you increase your risk of unsafe sex. There are a few signs that could indicate your daily sex isn't healthy and may border on a sex or love addiction. If you find yourself thinking about, planning or pursuing sex for the majority of the day or night, so that your focus is not on your responsibilities, this is a problem.
Libido naturally fluctuates across the lifespan, and as a reflection of what's going on in your life and relationship. The amount of sex you're having must feel as though it's in balance with the rest of your life. The moment you feel it is unbalanced, take some time to get it back. Your life as a couple will be better for it.
The chemical waste product that is born from muscle metabolism and comes out through the kidneys is known as Creatinine. When there is too much Creatinine present in the body, then it means that the kidneys are not functioning properly and need to be checked by a doctor. As an ancient life science, Ayurveda offers a variety of measures to treat and cure these excessively high levels of Creatinine in the body.
Here are the ways in which this can fixed with Ayurveda:
- Chamomile Tea: Chamomile is known to have a number of anti oxidants, which can easily flush toxins out of your body instantly if taken on a regular basis. This tea can be had by adding a two or three teaspoons of chamomile to hot water. This can be allowed to stand for a period of at least three to four minutes before you uncover, strain and drink it. One can have at least a few cups of this tea everyday in order to flush out the excess Creatinine from the system.
- Stinging nettle: About two or three teaspoons of dried nettle leaves can be added to a cup of hot water, which can be allowed to stand for at least ten minutes. This can be strained and ingested at least twice a day.
- Cinnamon: This condiment is rich in a number of minerals and vitamins and can help in improving the output of the kidneys even as it seeks to promote better renal filtration ability. This condiment also helps in regulating the blood sugar levels of the body and promotes wholesome good health. It can be added to food as seasoning and even to a cup of green tea which can be taken a few times in the day.
- Siberian Ginseng: Better renal circulation is one of the benefits of this condiment, which also helps in kidney revitalisation.
- Dandelion Root: This herb can be taken in tea form to act as a natural diuretic that can remove the toxins and lower the Creatinine levels in the body. Let it steep for at least ten minutes before you strain it and ingest it.
- Mutrakrichantak Churna: This herbal concoction is a well known one that helps in better kidney function by bringing down inflammation and other painful conditions that can be found in the kidneys. One can also remove kidney stones and urinary tract infections with the help of this herb, which is usually prescribed for patients undergoing dialysis as well. It is known to bring down the Creatinine and urea levels instantly.
Ayurveda is one of the best options to bring down these Creatinine levels in a natural manner.
Donor egg IVF is used by more than 70 percent of infertile women above 45 years to conceive. More than 8,000 babies are born in the US to women of all age groups by this method of Assistive Reproductive Technologies (ART). This kind of fertility treatment will become even more popular, in the days to come, because of advances in the egg-freezing technology.
What are donor eggs
Donor eggs are eggs given by a healthy, fertile woman to an infertile woman for in-vitro fertilisation or IVF.
How does the Donor Egg IVF program work?
Before you start this course of treatment, you must consult a doctor regarding its feasibility and effect on your health. Typically, the process has the following steps;
- After a donor has been identified, the infertile woman (referred to as ‘you’) and the donor are given medication so that the menstrual cycles of both are synchronised. You are also given medication so that your endometrium lining is ready for womb transfer.
- After their donation, the eggs are fertilised using the In Vitro Fertilization technique.
- Since the donor is under 35, not more than three embryos are transferred from her to your womb.
- Embryos are formed after fertilising donor egg with partner sperm.
In some cases, the embryos may be transferred after they have been fertilised. This line of treatment is undertaken to reduce the stress of this treatment on you.
In cases of men, the following procedures are followed;
- Unless the sperm belongs to another man, your partner will be required to give a sample of his sperm to check sperm quality.
- The partner must give another sample on the day the eggs are collected.
- In the next stage, the eggs and sperm are mixed together and in vitro fertilised.
Chances of success in Donor Egg IVF program
The chances of you conceiving through this program are 60-70%. This strike rate is significantly higher than a conventional IVF line of treatment.
How to start with Donor Egg IVF program?
- Finding an egg donor is not that difficult these days. You can find a donor through a fertility clinic, an egg bank, an egg donation agency, a family member or a close family friend. Donors coming from a frozen egg bank are usually screened for health and other reasons. Most donors are in the age group of 21-35 years.
- Make it legal i.e while getting donors is easy, the tricky part is to comply with the various legal issues. Consult your spouse, doctor and your attorney before taking this step.
- Get counselling i.e. you need expert counselling before you conceive because, let us face it, your baby is not your biological offspring. You and your spouse need to be adequately psychologically prepared for this important development in the family.