Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Archana Shivaraj
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Archana ShivarajYour feedback matters!
Hello sir/Madam, My wife is missing periods from last 55 days. Previous period date was 20th of Nov 2016, still now no periods, we visited gynaecologist 10 days before, also had prega news test initially, but negative, also doctors said no pregnancy symptom, what to do now?
Suffering from pcos from last 5 to 6 year. Earlier I was taking metformin n ginnete. But later I left because they ask me to take for 1 yr. Please suggest me some thing from ayurvedic or from home remedy.
Rekha is 32 years old, she has a succesful career, a lovable husband and two wonderful kids. She has a few helpful friends and a supportive family. She also got promoted at work 6 months ago. Yet for the past few months she has been finding it a little difficult to fall asleep at night, she dreads daybreak and wished she could sleep for a bit more time. She fights through the tiredness as everything she once enjoyed seems grey and non rewarding. She stopped following her favorite tv show and hasn’t been talking to her friends as much. She has been unable to focus on work and it takes her longer than usual to complete her tasks. The food she once loved seems drab and unappealing. There is no more color to festivals and functions, and smiling becomes an effort. She worried about the future and feels helpless as her life spirals down a eternal dark staircase.
Rekhas husband has noticed this and is supportive as he can be, telling her that she needs to snap out of whatever that she is going through. Not that she wouldnt want to snap out of it. People around her have been trying to cheer her up, suggesting everything that they feel would make her feel better! But no, the shadow of depression follows her around and makes her feel that her life is not worth living anymore.
What are the numbers ?
Depression is difficult, depression is dark and depression is dangerous. Studies have reported numbers ranging from 1 in 10 to 1 in 30. An article in the Indian express on feb 15,2016 was titled “with 36% of India depressed, we must end the taboo around mental health”
Depression was reported to be higher in females, in the age-group of 40-49 years and among those residing in urban metros. Equally high rates were reported among the elderly.Depression and suicides are closely linked, with upto 15% of depressed individuals attempting suicide. With around a lakh and 30000 people ending their lives by suicide every year, and atleast 10 times as much attempting suicide, this 15 percent starts looking like a very large number.
What causes depression
Contrary to popular belief, depression does not necessarily stem from a weakness in one's "mind" or from ones poor ability to cope with the stressors of life. This Depression like every other illness stems from complex interactions between biological, psychological and social factors. Like one cannot "think away" a fever, it is impossible to "think away" depression.
Genetic studies have demonstrated a concordance rate for mood disorders in identical twins of 70 to 90 percent. Implying a strong role of inherited factors in depressive illness. Alterations in hormonal regulation and sleep architecture can also lead to depression.
At the base of the illness there are abnormalities at the synaptic level in the neuronal networks in the pre-frontal cortex (a region in the brain). The pre-frontal cortex holds and processes information in regard to ones personality, memory, decision making, motivation and complex cognitive tasks. These processes are encoded in the form of synapses or interneuronal connections. The neurons communicate via electrochemical processes called neurotransmission. Current knowledge implicates a imbalance in serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline (neurotransmitters) and or an abnormal number of their receptors in the synapses in causing depression. Most anti depressants increase serotonin concentrations at the synaptic level so as to improve mood and cognition.
Low levels of serotonin have also been observed in those who attempt suicide.
What are the symptoms of depression? How is it diagnosed ?
Symptoms of depression include persistent low mood, easy fatiguability and a lack of interest in things that were previously pleasurable. Physical symptoms such as changes in sleep patterns, changes in appetite and weight and decreased interest in sex may also occur. Further a loss of self confidence, undue feelings of guilt, emotional lability and thoughts about self harm are also common.
The safest thing to do, if one is experiencing such symtoms is to seek professional help.
The Psychiatrist or Psychologist will be able to make a diagnosis based of Criteria set forth by the world health organization. They may suggest laboratory investigations to rule out physical illnesses such as anemia and thyroid dysfunction that mimic depression and will offer appropriate treatment measures.
Depression tends to occur in episodes with each episode lasting from 6 months to two years with an average of 8 months. Untreated depression tends to leave behind residual symptoms that include fatigue, anhedonia, long lasting sleep disturbances, poor productivity and a propensity to recur. 60% of those who develop a depressive episode, develop another Thus earlier and effective treatment will improve prognosis and will decrease the long term morbidity.
Effective treatment strategies are available for the management of depression. Based on the severity of illness and the nature of symptoms, you health care provider may prescribe either behavioral changes, psychotherapy or biological therapy. You do not have to go at it alone. Help is available for all those who seek it !
Depression is nothing to be afraid of, and certainly nothing to be guilty or ashamed of. With the right intervention from qualified experts, depression can be managed effectively.
You can find a lot more information about mental health and mental illness at our stigma breaking.
High uric acid in the blood stream leads to gout and arthritis. To prevent gout must have a good diet and refrain from sugars, alcohol and food like meat, poultry, seafood and pulses. Uric acid is not eliminated easily from the system and leads to inflammation and joint pains with gout.
- WATER – Water helps in flushing out all toxins so one should drink 8 to 10 glasses of water a day , water will also eliminate the excess uric acid n the system.
- CHERRIES- Cherries are rich with anti-inflammatory substance which is known as anthocyanins this help bringing down high uric levels. The anthocyanins helps from not letting uric acid crystallize and settle in joints which are the reason for arthritis and gout. Cherries will help reduce its level.
- BERRIES – Strawberries and blueberries should be added to the diet as they have a lot of inflammatory properties which will fight against higher uric levels.
- APPLES – Have one Apple a day, Apple has Malic acid which neutralizes uric acid. Add apples in your diet.
- CELERY SEEDS – Most popular home remedy is to add celery seeds in your diet this is also a great neutralizer for high uric levels.
- FRENCH BEANS JUICE- This is especially given to people suffering from gout as it is a natural neutralizer for high uric acid content and gives relief from inflammation.
- VEGETABLE JUICES- Drink a lot of vegetable juices like carrot juice, cucumber, beetroot about 300ml of these juices should be taken daily. They are a natural neutralizer to high uric levels.
- FOODS RICH WITH VITAMIN C- Foods rich in Vitamin C are great to neutralize high uric levels , vitamin C disintegrates uric acid and forces it out of the body through urine . Guava , Kiwi, Sweet Lime , capsicum , lemon , tomatoes are great source of Vitamin C.
Hi, I am a 39 year old healthy female. I prefer oral contraceptive pills" diane 35. What to do if I forget to take a pill on any particular day?
Even minor degree of thyroid impairment in pregnancy can lead to lower IQ in offspring. Hence hypothyroidism should be adequately treated.
Hi doctor I was married 2 months ago. My wife has menstrual date on15-11-2016. But she didn't got period. She is saying some symptoms. Vomit feeling. Headache. Bodypains. Digestion problems since 4 days. Paining in breast. Feeling uneasy. Can't able to do any work. Mild fever. No hunger. Feeling like falling down. What is the reason? Can she take any tablets for fever and bodypains? Is there is any problem in taking tablets if she is pregnant? If she doesn't get period can I think she is pregnant? Please help to reply me.
Hi, Without penetration of penis into vagina. Can one become pregnant? I had spotting with blood for 3-4 days. and then had heavy periods for 5 days with big clots. Can I be pregnant?
Hi m 31 years old I had sex with my bf 15 dys back immediately I had ipill and after 15 days I got period, and but my period is very very light first day I got spot and 2nd day I got hardly few blood drop may I know there is worried? Plx advise I am tense?
People who have been victims of domestic violence not only suffer physical abuse, but from emotional abuse as well, which may stay with them for their whole life. The trauma associated with domestic violence can be deep and takes time to heal even after the relationship with the perpetrator is over and there is no communication or contact between them.
Emotional harm is greater than physical harm
Women make up the significant majority of domestic violence victims. When they face violence within the home sphere, they experience a wide range of emotions like anger, sadness, powerlessness, fear, resentment, vindictiveness and much more. Physical violence not only harms their body, but their mind and spirit are equally wrecked as the memory of being physically subjugated scars them emotionally in a very deep manner and can take years to heal.
Some of the long term impact of domestic violence on women is mentioned below.
- Any kind of physical injuries like bruises, cuts or dislocated joints and bones.
- Many women suffer from hearing impairment
- Loss of vision is also another effect
- Miscarriage or premature childbirth
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- A feeling of fatigue and weakness
In certain cases, unreported domestic violence may result in homicide or murder which is the ultimate and most unfortunate manifestation of physical abuse gone too far, That is why it is important to seek help early on before things escalate too far.
The mental effects of domestic violence take much longer time to recuperate from than the physical effects. If the shock is severe, it can render women mentally unstable for life in extreme cases. Even if a woman recovers from it, the emotional scar may remain and might manifest in the future.
- Depression: This is one of the worst mental effects of domestic violence is depression. The good news is depression is often temporary and can be cured. Signs of depression include a feeling of hopelessness, sadness, weight gain or loss, sleeplessness, loss of appetite and a consequent lack of interest in whatever you love to do. This can affect one’s decision making ability and in extreme cases can render one suicidal.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: When you encounter any violent experience, then you are most likely to develop Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. The signs of this disorder include frequent flashbacks of the traumatic experience, nightmares and extreme anxiety. Women who face these kinds of traumatic experiences find it difficult to cope with their present situation for a while. Counselling and support from their loved ones can heal these problems fast.