Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Anitha Karthikeyan
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Anitha KarthikeyanYour feedback matters!
Sirs/madams. Good evening. My wife is 40 yrs. She has been using depressive tablets for two yrs. Right now using Bupran sr 150 at morning mirtaz 7.5 at nights. Her period are almost regular. But this time for two months no period found? What will do now? Please tell us?
Meri ek friend hai 29 years old usko periods hone main delay ho raha hai 2-3 din zyada ho gaye hain uske liye wo kya kare aur ye prob 4-5 mahine pehle bhi aayi thi tab usne homeopathic medicine li thi to ussi din ho gaye the usko ab phr wahi problem rahi hai iska koi permanent ilaaj bataiye. Thnx.
Sir meri girlfriend ka last period 2 August ko hua tah aur mai 6 August ko sex kiya uske bad 7 August ko unwanted 72 ka tablat khila diya tha to uska next period 2 September ko nahi hua uske bad 5 September aur 10 September ko prega news test kiya to negative aaya lekin avi tak period nahi hua h to kya wo pregnant h Please hep me.
Hi, I am aged 25 just now married a week ago I had a sex for a week, now she suffering from periods I have stopped having sex for 3 days. I like to know whether it will help me to continue to have sex after the periods or it all pulls out of my sperms while in periods.
Hello doctor I'm 21 years old girl I have cyst and also over weight. I had sex with my boyfriend 3 months ago from that month my periods haven't come. I used pregnancy kit to know whether I'm pregnant on 1st month and on 2nd month both were negative. Is there any chance of pregnancy? Please help.
I went through normal delivery on 5th feb. Few stitches were given. All sudden today I started feeling pain where stitches were given what to do? Even I feel like I will get faint. Please help.
I am 23 years old female ,height 5 feet and weight is 45 kg approx. From the last few days when I sleep I feel pain in my right side breast and now when I touched my breast I feel that there is something hard in my breast .kindly suggest me the cause and prevention of this problem and which particular doctor should I consult?
There are two methods by which abortion can be done:
- Medical Abortion - Non-surgical abortion in which medicines are used to induce abortion
- Surgical Abortion - Use of transcervical procedures for terminating a pregnancy, including vacuum aspiration, and dilatation and evacuation (D and E).
Surgical or Medical Abortion for Unwanted Pregnancy
- If pregnancy is lesser than = 7 weeks; medical method with Mifepristone with Misoprostol is favorable as the success rate is as high as 97%.
- If pregnancy is between 7-12 weeks; surgical abortion is the only option.
- If pregnancy is beyond 12 weeks - 20 weeks, then the woman needs to be hospitalized and will be given either Mifepristone followed by Misoprostol tablet or only Misoprostol tablets and woman will then abort like a miscarriage in the hospital. If any products are remaining, then it will be evacuated surgically.
Surgical abortion is preferred if patient desires concurrent tubal ligation or IUCD (CuT) insertion. If a woman fulfills the criteria for selecting either method i.e. before 7 weeks, final choice has to be given to the woman.
Summary of choice between Surgical or Medical abortion in India
- Lesser than = 7 weeks - Medical method or surgical method
- 7-12 weeks - Surgical abortion
- 12 - 20 weeks - Medicines with or without surgical procedure in hospital
Advantages of Medical Abortion
- Avoid surgery - Controlled by the woman and may take place at home
- No need for admission to the hospital
- Usually, well tolerated by women, if properly counselled and motivated
- No need to take leave from work, as bleeding can be managed with menstrual pads even while in the office or at work.
Disadvantages of medical abortion
- Takes time (hours to days) to complete abortion, and the timing may not be predictable. Women experience bleeding and cramping, and potentially some other side-effects (nausea, vomiting, fever, and shivering). May require more clinic visits than surgical abortion.
Advantages of Surgical Abortion
- Quick procedure
- Complete abortion easily verified by evaluation of aspirated products of conception
- Takes place in a hospital so Sterilization or placement of an intrauterine device (IUD) may be performed at the same time as the procedure. It can be performed under local anaesthesia if woman is properly motivated and counselled
Disadvantages of surgical abortion
- Requires instrumentation of the uterus
- Small risk of uterine or cervical injury
- Timing of abortion controlled by the doctor and hospital
- Anaesthesia needs to be administered. Most doctors perform this procedure under short general anaesthesia. A woman needs to be in the hospital for at least 6 hours. Effect of sedation will be there throughout the day.