Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Anantharaman
Treatment of Knee Pain
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Submit a review for Dr. AnantharamanYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Are you experiencing knee pain and seek ideal treatment for your condition? Knee pain is a very common issue which may develop in any bony structure of your body, comprising your kneecap, the knee joint, ligaments, and cartilages of your knee. Knee pain is common in people of all ages, and simple home remedies can be used to treat knee pain effectively. In severe cases, professional treatment or help is required.
• The location of your knee pain varies based on the structure that is involved.
• Your whole knee may swell up and seem painful in the case of infections and inflammatory processes. On the other hand, a bone fracture may show symptoms in one specific area.
• The severity of knee pain may vary from acute to serious and disabling.
Other common symptoms associated with knee pain include the following:
• Difficulty in walking because of knee instability.
• Limping because of discomfort.
• Difficulty in going up and down the staircase because of ligament damage.
• Swelling and redness.
• The inability of extending the knee.
Knee pain may occur because of several reasons, and factors. Generally, knee pain is classified into 3 primary categories. They are:
• Acute injuries that include broken bones, a meniscal tear, or a torn ligament.
• Medication conditions which commonly include the likes of arthritis, and various infections.
• Conditions that occur on account of chronic use and overuse, such as patellar syndromes, tendinitis, bursitis, and osteoarthritis.
• There are several treatment measures for knee pain, based on the cause, your condition, and severity.
• The most common treatment procedures include the following:
• Several medications are used for the treatment of an underlying medical condition that causes knee pain, for effective pain relief.
• Strengthening of the muscles surrounding the ankle makes it stable and helps in achieving the best mechanical movements.
• This is effective in avoiding injuries and preventing an existing injury from worsening.
• Several injectable medications are injected into your knee directly.
• Corticosteroids and lubricants are commonly used for dealing with inflammation in the knee, and for improving movement and pain.
• In case of severe and persistent knee pain, a surgery may be required. Knee operations include arthroscopic surgeries, total knee replacement and much more.
• Arthroscopic surgery is the most common procedure in which injuries in your knee are repaired and pieces of loose cartilage and bone are removed.
• During partial knee replacement, the damaged parts of your knee are replaced with metal and plastic parts. Only a part of the knee joint gets replaced.
There are several other therapies that are also beneficial for the treatment of knee pain. You can opt for acupuncture, which is ideal for osteoarthritis patients. Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements are also prescribed in some cases.
When performing simple daily activities like climbing stairs, getting out of a chair, or walking tend to become a rather painful experience, knee replacement surgery seems to be the only suitable solution. Referred to as arthroplasty, it is a common surgery nowadays and ideal when several other therapies and injections fail to bring back the knees into the normal functioning order. Below are some the things that one can expect from a knee replacement surgery.
- Medications: It is quite natural to receive lots of prescribed medicines right after the completion of the surgery. From antibiotics to painkillers, one needs to be ready to have various medicines which are meant to relieve the pain of the surgery as well as to prevent blood clots. However, the drug dosages continue to get lesser, after each passing day, depending on how well the knees are performing.
- CPM: Taking the help of CPM or continuous passive motion becomes necessary for many people after having the knee replacement surgery. Depending on the condition of one’s knee, one might need to spend time in a CPM system, which helps in keeping the knee flexible. There’s a cradle in the machine for the legs, and the machine is fitted with the joint position and leg length. One can adjust the level up to which the machine can bend the knees, depending on their comfort level.
- Walking: The majority of the people who undergo knee replacement surgery can walk the very day of the surgery or the next day. Most of the people become able to bear the weight of the replaced knee with the help of crutches or walkers. However, one can expect a bit of pain when starting to walk for the first time after surgery.
- Rehabilitation: The primary purpose of rehabilitation after a knee replacement surgery is to make one capable of bending his or her knees at least 90 degrees which is essential for performing the daily activities easily. Several therapies can make the rehabilitation process a success and make the knees bendable more than 90 degrees in most of the cases.
- Exercise: Most people go home within a few days after a knee replacement surgery and is essential to take care post-surgery. The best way to maintain the good health of the knees is by performing the exercise program regularly, which is suggested by the doctors. Following the exercise program regularly and performing regular short walks, can make the knees flexible like before while regaining their strength as well as the motion range more quickly.
It's best to visit one's doctor from time to time, even months after the knee replacement surgery is done to not only monitor his or her knee replacement; but also to ensure that there are no risks of any complications. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory disease, which destroys the cartilages of the body, thereby rendering a weak joint structure throughout the body. This causes the bone density to reduce, which in turn reduces the original strength of the bones. This is usually manifested in people – men and women both - from their late middle ages. Terrible pain is sometimes accompanied with such form of arthritis. Though arthritis can be treated, this treatment is only provided to boost bone density, make the bones stronger, provide vitamins and minerals to the body and slow the process of bone degeneration. Once arthritis affects you, you can never be completely cured of it, but you can definitely try to lessen the degradation rate and frequency.
There are several factors, which lead to the development of rheumatoid arthritis in a human body. One such factor is the immune system. Over the years, the immune system becomes weaker. The body is attacked by many infections, bacteria and other foreign particles, which the immune system fights effectively. But as one starts growing and reaches almost middle age, it is found that the immune system no longer remains as vigilant and quick to be able to cope up with the disease causing germs, and fight them effectively. A reduced immune system can be caused by consumption of excessive medicines, vaccines and other medicinal drugs over the years. This makes it difficult for the immune system to cope with arthritis at this age. Hence, the development of rheumatoid arthritis is very much related to a weak immune system in the body.
However, this does not mean that it cannot be treated. There are various natural and organic ways to boost your immunity. You must try to follow some of them so that your immune system becomes stronger and better or at least shows signs of improvement. That apart, you need to consult your medical practitioner when signs of arthritis are manifested by your body. There are simple exercises, natural methods to keep fit and certain other medicines, which need to be consumed to make your bones stronger. If you follow these rules then your arthritis would not be very fatal and you will be able to cope with it.
This highlights how the immune system is an integral part in the formation of arthritis in a human body. If you see signs and symptoms of arthritis developing in your body, then you must consult the medical practitioner immediately so that you can start with an appropriate treatment as soon as possible. Arthritis should never be neglected as it can give rise to chronic pains and adverse health problems in the future.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!