Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Neurosurgeons in India. You will find Neurosurgeons with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurosurgeons online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Abirami Sundari
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Treatment of Spine Injuries
Brain Tumor Surgery
Treatment of Disc Prolapse
Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
Accident Injuries Treatment
Spine Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Abirami SundariYour feedback matters!
Neurological disorders may creep in due to many reasons. It may be due to degenerative diseases, accidents, other health conditions, birth defects or genetics. The most common form of disorder occurs due to non-functional brain cells in some parts, and loss of myelin sheath in neurons, which protects the nervesignals in their complete transfer from origin to destination. These losses are irreparable, but further degeneration can be avoided with ayurveda. Panchakarma, the branch of ayurveda, which deals with detoxification of the body and mind, especially helps. Over a period of time, it can bring back the lost sensation in nerves. Yoga, pranayama and ayurvedic treatments lead to recovery and relief to a huge extent.
Important facts about panchakarma
There are 3 important steps in panchakarma, which are followed one after another to get the result. The main objective of panchakarma is to detoxify the body. Virechanam, vamanam, sneha vasti, nasyamand kashaya vasti are the 5 folds in panchakarma.
Poorvakarma or preparing the body, followed by abhyangam or massage, followed by elakizhi or herbal paste massage, and finally podikizhi, or steam bathing makes the body ready for receiving further treatments. Njavara kizhi is the special treatment done in panchakarma where the body is given a rice bolus massage to improve the joint and neuro functions.
What is njavara kizhi?
Njavara is a variety of rice, which is specially used for ayurvedic treatment and massages. In this treatment, the rice is made into a pudding by boiling it with milk. This pudding is then made into boluses. The boluses are filled in muslin cloth, and then using these muslin bolus dabs, the whole body of the patient is massaged. This full-body massage has excellent effects on neurological and joint functions. The deep tissues withconsult an expertin the body are rejuvenated. The treatment is carried on for 45 minutes to 60 minutes by therapists or experts. Another form of the treatment requires the rice to be made into a paste, and then the paste is applied all over the body. But this is more preferred for beautification.
Other effective therapies
Siro vasti, kati vasti, ela kizhi and nasyam are all different forms of panchakarma treatment, which detoxify the body and mind and rejuvenate the body and nerve functions. But these treatments cannot be conducted on the body on your own. You need a masseur who must be a specialist in ayurveda to do this for you. Hence contacting ayurvedic clinics, doctors or experts would be the best to start the treatment. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
A tumor is an uncontrolled and abnormal growth of cells. A brain tumor is thus an abnormal growth and multiplication of cells in the brain. The cell growth can also be in areas adjacent to the brain. The brain tumor may
- Have its origin in the brain (Primary brain tumor), or
- Its origin may be in some other parts or organs of the body, which gradually spreads to the brain (Secondary/metastatic brain tumor).
Not all brain tumors are harmful and life threatening.
Brain tumors that exist as noncancerous cell growths are known as Benign brain tumors. Benign brain tumors seldom pose any threat to life.
Brain tumors that are cancerous and, thus, harmful, are known as Malignant brain tumors.
Do not neglect any brain tumors (malignant or not). It is better to be safe than to be sorry.
Types of Primary brain tumors:
Based on its cell of origin, primary brain tumors (benign as well as malignant) may be of the following types:
- Meningiomas: Brain tumors that originate from the meninges (the membranes that cover the brain and the spinal cord). Meningiomas are seldom malignant.
- Acoustic Neuromas: A noncancerous cell growth that has its origin in the vestibulocochlear nerve (the eighth cranial nerve). This nerve connects the brain with the inner ear.
- Gliomas: Here, the tumor has its origin in the brain and the spinal cord (glial cells). This type of brain tumors, in most cases (~80%), are malignant.
- Primitive Neuroectodermal Tumors (PNETs): Extremely rare, PNETs are malignant tumors that develop in the embryonic cells in the brain.
- Medulloblastomas: Medulloblastomas is a malignant brain tumor that mostly affects children. It originates in the cerebellum (lower part of the brain).
- Craniopharyngiomas: A benign brain tumor that has its origin near the pituitary gland (base of the brain). Craniopharyngiomas are common in children.
Probability of a secondary brain tumor are more in people who have had;
The symptoms of brain tumor include:
- Chronic and regular headaches.
- A change in the headache pattern.
- A person may experience vision problems (Peripheral vision may be affected, double or blurred vision).
- There may be difficulty in hearing.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Behavioral and speech problems.
- An arm or a leg may lose sensation.
- A person has difficulty with balance.
Diagnosis and Treatment:
Though brain tumor can affect anyone and everyone, its chances are higher in
- People who are more exposed to ionizing radiation. People having undergone a radiation therapy are equally vulnerable.
- Children as well as older people.
- People having a family history of brain tumors.
The diagnosis includes;
- An imaging test like the MRI, CT scan and PET (Positron Emission Tomography).
- Biopsy, whereby samples of the abnormal tissue is collected and examined.
- Neurological examination.
- Surgery is an effective treatment for brain tumors.
One can also opt for:
- Radiations, whereby the abnormal tumor cells are destroyed using protons and x-rays (high-energy beams).
- Chemotherapy: In this treatment, the tumor cells are destroyed using strong drugs (taken orally or intravenously).
- Targeted drug therapy: This treatment blocks the abnormalities that are characteristically present only in the cancer cells.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!