Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Abby Abraham
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Submit a review for Dr. Abby AbrahamYour feedback matters!
The gums are also called the periodontium - perio for around and dontium for tooth as the gums are literally present "around the tooth." There is a softer mucosal portion that runs along the tooth in a curved manner and a stronger fibrous portion that connects the tooth to the jaw bone. Together, they provide the structural support for the tooth to be held in place. In addition, they also have an esthetic value with the healthy pink color. The mouth has the largest number of bacteria in the body, which act on the food debris that is present on the tooth and the gums. This causes infection in both the gums and the tooth.
Types: Periodontal disease can be localized or general.
- Localized disease happens when a tooth is not accessible for thorough cleaning. The inside surface of lower incisors and outer surfaces of the upper last molars are common areas of localized periodontal disease.
- Generalized periodontal disease can be due to conditions like pregnancy, puberty, diabetes where gums around all the teeth are affected.
Symptoms: In both the cases, the following symptoms:
- Fiery Red gums
- Swollen and/or painful gums
- Spontaneous bleeding from the gums: This may be localized or generalized
- Chronic bad breath: Due to food accumulation in the infected gums
- Pus from the gums when the gums are pressed
- Bad taste in the mouth (arising from pus in the gums)
- Gingival recession, producing an effect of having longer tooth
- Sensitive teeth
- Loosening of the tooth/teeth
- Painful chewing, as it puts pressure on the inflamed periodontium
- Dentist will identify what are called pockets, which is an indication of severity - the deeper the pockets, the severe the disease.
Management and Prevention:
Gum disease is very easy to identify and can be completely cured.
- Regular brushing and flossing can help maintain regular oral hygiene.
- With each brushing session, plain finger massage of the gums improves blood circulation and their overall health.
- Regular use of mouth rinse is a good way to improve gum health.
- Regular visits to the dentist can help keep a check on the health of the teeth and the gums - early identification of disease and early treatment.
- Once it has set in, deep scaling followed by root planning may be required to thoroughly clear out the infection.
- More surgical options like gingival grafts, flap surgery, bone grafting in case of severe bone loss may be required.
- Management of conditions like diabetes The best way to avoid periodontal disease is to know its symptoms, follow oral hygiene practices, and visit a dentist regularly.
I am 28 yrs. Old. I am facing mouth ulcer since last three years. Before or after my period I am facing a lot up to 10-12 days. What is the reason? I can't eat anything during this. Please suggest.
Dear Doctor, I am 21 years old,i am suffering for long days from bad odour from my mouth during speaking.Even though i am brushing properly and flossing the mouth after eating.I am still suffering from bad odour from my mouth.Still now i doesnt take any treatment.Please provide me a solution.
What is the solution for throat pain, and also blisters on the tongue, the blisters are like paining a lot while eating any spicy food, please give me a solution.
I have problem eith my teeth that is yellow of teeth I think his problem is due to florine percent water due.
Dear dr, Im having cavity in 1 teeth and getting pus from that teeth .in tat teeth a bulge will form If I poke tat pus will come. After tat it will be normal. After 1 or 2 weeks again tat bulge will form. Im planning to remove tat teeth. Is tat pus is because of cavity or it may leads to any problem. At tat time there will be head ache and jaw pain. Will tat pus spreads to other parts like face brain etc. Pls advice.
children between 6 to 13 years are more likely to have dental problems, important problem one among them should be noticed is malocclusion (irregular arrangement ) of teeth. if taken care earlier those problems can be solved easily. if kids in your family has irregular teeth, consult with dentist and give your child a good smile. TAKE CARE.