Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. A.Thomas StephenYour feedback matters!
My baby now of 4 months she have very dry skin and because of that she gets bumps on her hangs legs and face its very itching she gets irritated with that wt shall I do.
My one year 5 month old daughter gets cold and fever every month. Please suggest any food or supplements to increase her immunity and also tell me the causes for this?
I have a baby boy of one year. His weight is 8.6 around, is this the correct weight, please help me how to increase his weight, what are the food I gave him, please answer me quickly.
Asthma is an inflammatory disease, which affects the airways of your lungs (respiratory tract that pumps oxygen into the lungs). It is long term in nature. It is characterized by shortness of breath, coughing and wheezing. It occurs few times a day or few times a week depending on the person it affects. Sometimes it worsens during the night.
What triggers Asthma?
- Airborne particles such as dust mites, mold spores, pollen and cockroach waste.
- Infections in the respiratory system such as common cold.
- Cold air can also trigger asthma.
- Physical or outdoor activities which make you pant such as running, skipping, jogging and jumping can cause shortness of breath, thus triggering asthma.
- Pollutants and irritants in air such as smoke.
- Some medications can also trigger asthma.
- Stress and nervous attacks (panic attacks) also trigger asthma.
How to manage asthma better by changing your lifestyle:
- Try to avoid keeping animals in your house such as dogs, cats and rabbits. Many times animal fur, waste, urine and saliva contains particles which can cause allergic reactions and make you cough uncontrollably. This in turn triggers asthma attacks. If you have pets try keeping them away from your bedroom.
- Dust mites also cause allergies which trigger asthma. So wash your carpets, rugs, bed-linen and pillowcases in hot water.
- Bugs and insects such as cockroaches are not only unhygienic, but can also trigger asthma. Cockroach droppings near your bed, kitchen and food are dangerous and you should call an exterminator to get rid of these bugs.
- Sometimes, heavy fragrance also aggravates your respiratory tract and triggers shortness of breath. Avoid using heavy perfumes, deodorants and room fresheners.
- Pollution also triggers asthma. Dust particles come out from the vehicles and mix with the air. If this air is inhaled, it might trigger uncontrollable asthma. So try to cover your mouth with a cloth when you step out of your house.
Asthma can be very severe and can bring many hurdles in your day to day activities. Changing your lifestyle and certain habits can reduce asthma to a great extent. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pulmonologist.
2 year baby is suffering from high fever 103. I gave meftal p before 1 and half hour but fever is not coming down. What should I do.
Hello Doctor, I m very concerned about my 1 and a half month baby's weight. He weighs 4.2kg now. His birth weight was 3.25kg. How much weight 1 and a half months baby should weigh? I m really pissed off by my relatives who come and say your baby is underweight, your breastmilk is not sufficient . Please help!
My baby is 3 months old he is drinking enough formula and I am breastfeeding him frequently but I am not having enough milk Is there any problem in this.
My son of aged 3 years 2 months, suffering from chicken pox since two days. Need your valuable consults.
My two month old baby is unable to latch all of a sudden. I am applying nip care ointment but of no vain. How can I breastfeed her without this inverted nipple issue.
My daughter vitamin d was 9. Then she took 5 calcicoral pouches regularly and then she took 4 pouches once a week for month. After that she tested her vitmin d she had 25. 9. And now dr. Recommended architol injection 6 lkh unit. So it is safe or I continue with calcicoral. Last year also she had taken pouches but not completed course. Her weight is 25. 5and height is 133 cm. She is 10 years old
Sir, I got twin babies premature. I am unable to feed both due to low milk production. Is there any way to increase her milk production. Doctor asked to feed babies with formula feed (nestle pre nan). But due to family problem I am unable to purchase formula feed. Can you please suggest me whether goat's milk can be given to babies instead of formula feed. Or there is any other substitute for formula feed. I will be obliged.
My son is 19 months old and last month his weight was 12kg, at his birth time he got jaundice. His motion is also very tight and very smelling, but when I give him Pixit and Iron medicine then he do sticky potty. From last 20 days, he is not taking milk or any other food. He is going weak day by day, sometimes he takes apple and cucumber but not regular. I have checked with doctors, they says he is ok. I have tried many other foods to give him, but he just denied and turned his face. His teeth is also coming up at lower and upper both side. I am worried about how to give him milk and a healthy diet. Please suggest.
Hi I am a mother of 15 days old newborn baby boy. I have poor lactation n formula feeding my son. Please help me out with this problem. I literally want to breastfeed my son n grow him healthy. I had him through c-section. Thank you.
My baby is of four months ten days he is toothing and by this he is suffering from loose motions fever and cry a lot he also become week wat shud I do fr this is this common?
My father in law is detected as gall bladder cancer spread to liver and other organ. Doctor told he may live for few months. We are giving Ayurveda treatment to him . He is feeling better . But he is getting weak day by day. Please help me.
My daughter is 2 years old and she has persistent problem of worms. Please suggest an effective homeopathic medicine except albendazole.
Hello Dr. I would like to relactate my baby who is now 7 months. Since, 2 1/2 months I stopped breast feeding. Even if he does not want to latch again, I would be very glad if I could give him breast milk during feeds. I really want to breast feed again. It's my third baby. Due to lack of information I quit breast feeding very early. My milk has dried up, but I'm trying to pump, using spectra s1 double electric pump, to bring my supply back. But, still nothing. Not even a drop. Hope you can help me!
A child’s tantrums, especially during teens, are quite common. However, there could be some children who could be exhibiting an extreme version of these symptoms. This is known as oppositional defiant disorder.
Children with this disorder become easily irritable, angry, argumentative, defiant and feel vindictive against most elders (parents, teachers, and others). While this is something very common and can be ignored to be a part of teenage tantrums, the issue is when these symptoms do not seem to end. If they persist for beyond 6 months, it is time to worry. These may then begin to interfere with their daily activities including schooling, where they may not be easy for the teacher to manage.
Diagnosis of ODD: With the changing behaviour of teenagers, it is often difficult to pinpoint and say there is ODD. However, some guidelines for diagnosis are listed below. Angry/irritable, argumentative, defiant and vindictive. If these symptoms are seen for more than 6 months with no inducing reason, happens with non-siblings, and is affecting learning and playing, it is highly likely the child has ODD.
These symptoms can occur at home, at school, or in other settings – seen respectively in one, two, or more settings. Some of the symptoms are listed below.
- Repeated temper tantrums
- Anger bursts, swearing, using obscene language
- Extremely argumentative, especially with people in authority (teachers, parents, etc.)
- Annoying others and getting annoyed easily
- Noncompliance to rules and regulations at school and institutions
- Defending one’s mistakes and blaming others for it
- These result in poor academic performance, antisocial behavior, substance abuse, and higher suicidal tendencies.
Treatment depends on the presenting symptoms, the age of the child, and supportive care available. The child should be able to actively take part in psychotherapy to reap good benefits. It would otherwise be a task with no results.
- Psychotherapy will help the child improve its cope and express and control anger. This also improves problem-solving skills.
- Cognitive-behavioural therapy tries to mould the behaviour.
- If required, the parents also would be involved to improve family’s involvement in the treatment. Caretakers are given special training if required so that they can support in long-term medical care.
- The child also needs to be trained for appropriate behaviour under different circumstances.
- Rewards for positive behaviour and punishments for negative behaviour are useful ways.
Prevention: Early identification can help in minimizing distress to the family and help in the early arrest of the disease. The family is also taught basic and simple steps which can help in supporting therapy. Early rejection at school and loss of learning, can happen which can be managed with early intervention. A nurturing and supportive family can help manage the child very well. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.