Lybrate.com has an excellent community of ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. A Karunagaran
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. A KarunagaranYour feedback matters!
I have tonsils from last few days. From yesterday night I'm not able to speak properly please help me out.
Sir/madam, I'm suffering throat pain after the consumption of hot food which I had ordered in a fast food centre. I'm feeling uncomfortable and couldn't swallow anything as it irritates. Thank you I wish you answer me soon.
Sinuses are cavities in our skull behind the nose which spread out in a pattern. These cavities are lined with tissues and mucosal membranes and are essential for our breathing process. Sinusitis is a condition where the tissues within the cavities become inflamed which results in the sinus cavities being blocked due to a buildup of fluid.
What are the conditions that can lead to sinusitis?
Some of the conditions that can cause nasal polyps are explained as follows:
- Nasal polyps are small growths of tissue within the lining of the nose which may block the sinuses, resulting in sinusitis.
- Common cold is also a culprit which may result in sinusitis
- If your septum or the bridge between the holes of the nose is deviated (this condition is referred to as a deviated septum), you may be prone to developing sinusitis.
- The lining of the nose may swell in a condition known as allergic rhinitis and cause sinusitis as well.
Types of sinusitis
There are multiple types of sinusitis which may affect people and also on how long they last. The various types of sinusitis are explained below:
- Acute sinusitis: This is the most common form of sinusitis that lasts usually between 2 to 4 weeks. It starts with a cold, blocked nose and turns into facial pain that usually starts very suddenly.
- Chronic sinusitis: This is a form of sinus infection which can have a debilitating effect on your life and may last for 12 weeks or longer.
- Sub-acute sinusitis: This is somewhere between acute and chronic sinusitis and may last from anywhere between 4 to 12 weeks.
- Recurrent sinusitis: This form of sinus infections tend to be a variation of acute or sub-acute sinusitis which tends to occur multiple times a year.
Symptoms of sinusitis
The manifestation of the symptoms of sinusitis may be different from person to person and also on the type of sinusitis you are suffering from. However, there are some generic symptoms that are common to all forms which are mentioned as follows:
- Smelling senses may be dulled
- Facial pain
- Congestion accompanied by a cough
- Nose may be blocked, stuffy and may also be runny
- Other symptoms may also include bad breath, fatigue, or even dental pain
- Nasal cavity may have pus and it may drain from time to time
It is best to consult a doctor quickly, if you have been having any of these symptoms. The doctor can prescribe nasal decongestants and antibiotics which can help. If you have chronic or recurrent sinusitis, then more aggressive and advanced treatments may be required. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
I have a problem in my throat, I have tonsils! Sometime I have pain in throat when I drink or eat cold! So please give me any suggestions.
Hi, I had middle ear infection. Now the fluid has drained, but the tinnitus which came up at the time of the infection has not gone. It's the buzzing sound in the ear. Kindly advise.
How to stop Snoring ? I have this problem for last 20 years . I am male -44 years . All family members gets disturbed with the noise I make and I really don't know what to do . Please guide.
Causes, symptoms and preventions for Nasal Allergy
Hello! I am doctor Sunil Agarwal, senior ENT Consultant at Paras Hospital Gurgaon. I did my MBBS in MS from a prestigious college of Delhi that is Maulana Azad Medical College. I was serving in Lok Nayak hospital till 2008, and after 2008 I started my private practice in Gurgaon. Today, I am going to discuss with you about nasal allergies and nasal polyps. Basically, I should explain to you about nose and sinus first. The cheek bones and the forehead bones are hollow bones, they have got air containing cavities which are known as sinuses. Normally there is mucous production in these sinuses which helps in normal humidification of air which we breathe through the nose.
Allergy or sensitivity is basically because of weather change, or can be because of certain food items, dust, pollution, strong smells etc. It can lead on to excess mucous production in the sinuses or sneezing. Nasal allergies can be controlled effectively by medications like antihistamines and intranasal steroids which are very effective and without any serious side effects. But if nasal allergy is uncontrolled or if it is recurrent or prolonged it can lead to swelling of the lining of the sinuses which ultimately can lead on to the formation of polyps.
Polyps are abnormal soft tissue masses in the nose and sinuses. Once the nasal polyps are developed the medical treatment is not that effective, in that case we need to go in for endoscopic surgeries which remove these polyps or soft tissue masses effectively. Nowadays with the advancement in technologies in the endoscopic procedures these things are without any serious complications, there is not too much of pain or bleeding and the recovery time is very fast. Even certain brain or neurosurgical procedures like pituitary glands are done through these intranasal endoscopic procedures.So one should not take these cold and allergies lightly and one should go to his ENT specialist to get these treated so that the production and development of polyps can be prevented and surgeries can be avoided.
In case of any further queries regarding nasal polyps, allergies, or cold, you can contact me through Lybrate or you can consult in my clinic at Gurgaon, sector 15.