Doctor in Prashant Hospital
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Prashant HospitalYour feedback matters!
Swelling or edema of the legs and hands is a very common condition and can be due to various types and reasons. The medical term is peripheral edema, the arms and legs being the peripheries. It is often due to fluid retention and in some cases, could also be due to blockage of fluid movement or excessive fluid in the body.
It can also be sudden or gradual – swelling that happens suddenly is usually due to prolonged standing or walking which leads to poor venous return. Gradual swelling is more a cause for concern and implies underlying disease.
At a cellular level, there is leakage of fluid into the surrounding tissue, which causes puffiness. In order for the kidneys to maintain fluid balance, they accumulate more fluid, which gets into a vicious cycle with both intracellular and extracellular fluid accumulation.
There are many causes for edema, but the following could be specific to vascular issues.
- Prolonged sitting or standing: When there is long periods of inactivity due to sitting with feet down or standing, there is fluid accumulation in the feet. Over a period of time, it could also affect the valve function and worsen the condition, causing it to be a chronic issue. Let's take a look at some of the common causes:
- Pregnancy: The hormones lead to overall body fluid retention, and so feet swelling is very common with pregnancy. The good news is that it subsides soon after delivery.
- Blood clots in the legs can affect blood flow, leading to swelling
- Heart failure
- Varicose veins, where there is a vascular issue leading to swelling
- Liver cirrhosis, which causes ascites and feet swelling as the main symptoms
- Lymphedema: Any improper lymph circulation also leads to hand and feet swelling
- Any tumor or infection along the path of circulation can lead to fluid accumulation, due to impaired blood/lymphatic flow.
- Skin gets stretched, shiny, and loses hair
- There could be dimpling, where if the skin is pressed for about 10 seconds and released, it could take time to return to normal
- Stiffness of the surrounding joints
- Weight gain
- Fullness of nearby veins
- Increased blood pressure
Treatment: This would depend on the cause of the edema.
- In transient cases, lifting the legs up often helps in release of the edema.
- Underlying liver or heart conditions need to be treated to relieve the edema. Diuretics, which promote expelling of fluid from the body, are often used to reduce edema.
- The infection or tumor or growth along the path of the blood vessels tree needs to be treated either with medications or surgery.
- In cases where there are vascular issues, surgery may be required.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Kidney problems, although take a longer time to develop, they end up being silent killers. There are no obvious signs for months and the symptoms crop up when it's rather late.
Many younger people these days are getting diagnosed with kidney problems. This is primarily due to drinking alcohol, smoking, bad eating habits and a sedentary lifestyle. About 60% people who have diabetes or hypertension develop kidney problems eventually.
Therefore, it is advised to be aware of what harms your kidneys and take adequate care to keep them healthy.
Watch out for any of these symptoms early on.
1. Urine Color - This is probably the first symptom and unfortunately affects many people around us. With the way our lifestyles are, this is becoming an increasing concern. Urine becomes dark and there is a need to urinate yet, one is unable to do so.
2. Urine Infection - Second would be when you feel pain or difficulty while urinating. The infections in the urinary tract induce their symptoms of pain or burning during urination. If this infection spreads to the kidneys, one can feel pain in the back.
3. Blood In Urine - If there is blood in your urine, it is a sign of renal illness. While this could be happening because of various reasons, it is advisable to see your doctor soon.
4. Water Retention - The function of the kidney is to take out the extra liquid and the waste from our body. When this process is not smooth, water will stay back and cause your face, limbs and/or ankle joints to swell.
5. Weakness - Severe exhaustion would mean minimized oxygen being delivered to the cells, causing weakness in general. This is also one of the symptoms that your kidney needs medical attention.
6. Temperature Variance - If your kidney is unwell, one of the symptoms is that you will feel the chill even when the temperature is actually warm.
7. Skin Breakout - Since an unfit kidney means waste in the body is piling up, it causes the skin to break out and cause severe irritation and rashes.
8. Rise of Blood Urea Level - When the kidney is unwell, it increases the level of urea in the blood. This causes breakdown of the urea into ammonia in the spit, causes it to smell foul, like urine/metal.
9. Nausea - Waste accumulating in the blood adds up to causing nausea and vomiting.
10. Breathlessness - One can also feel the lack of breath if the condition of the kidney worsens.
11. Discomfort or Pain - Some people have been known to have bodily pains, an instant discomfort that spreads from the lower back to the groin. This usually means that there is a stone in the kidney. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The spine or the backbone is responsible for the fluid movement of the body, especially standing, bending, and sideways movement. It also is an important part of the nervous system and carries multiple nerves to the lower part of the body. The lower spine has sacral and iliac vertebrae, which have disks between the vertebral bones where these nerves are located. With age, infection, tumors, or injury, this soft tissue becomes hardened and get the bones to fuse. This is a type of arthritis known as ankylosing spondylitis and limits movement between the disks.
Causes: With age, the soft vertebral tissue gradually hardens. There is a genetic component also to this, so it runs in families. In addition, infection or tumors of the spine and injuries involving the spine can also lead to this condition.
Symptoms: When AS ankylosing spondylitis (AS) onsets, there is usually morning pain and stiffness in the low back and upper buttocks. The intensity of this gradually reduces over the course of the day. The range of movement also is reduced, with bending, stooping, and sideward movement becoming gradually difficult. It is believed that people with AS have an overactive immune system, and homeopathy helps by suppressing this activity. A homeopath will have a detailed discussion with the patient and based on the presenting symptoms, an appropriate product would be prescribed.
- Aesculus: The patient would have extremely painful and stiff low back and hips. It would be constant ache with walking and stooping, and it is not easy to rise from a sitting position. The patient also feels that the legs would give way, making them hesitant to walk.
- Rhus Tox: When the patient presents with low back pain that is present at rest, with sitting and inactivity, Rhus is usually preferred. The pain improves with activity and movement and radiates down the legs all the way to the foot.
- Kali Carb: If the patient presents with extreme weakness also and feels like a paralytic attack, as if the back is broken. The patient feels the symptoms are worse in the morning and changing position in bed.
- Kalmia: If the patient has pain associated with a prickly, numbing sensation, then this is used. There also could be burning sensation. The pain appears in bursts in the late evening and early night hours and could also go down the legs or up into the neck.
As with any other disease, homeopathy looks at the person holistically and treats the symptoms. The patient should not go for self-medication based on some reading and friends’ suggestions. Each person is unique in terms of symptoms and treatment, and so the doctor is the best person to decide the appropriate medicine. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Pregnancy places a lot of demand on the expectant mother. While the emotional demands are not very evident, the physical ones are. The mother has to ensure that the developing baby gets all the required nutrients through her. Some of them are very critical, and not getting adequate amounts of these manifest as problems, which cannot be rectified later. Calcium supply and associated problems that may arise is one such example.
If there is a reduced supply of calcium and the bones and teeth are not formed properly, taking any amount of calcium is not going to correct the situation later, after delivery.
- The bones which are forming in the developing baby are dependent on the mother for adequate supply of calcium. It is common knowledge that calcium is an integral component of bones, teeth, and skeleton. Hypocalcemia, which is a condition where there is reduced amounts of calcium in the body, can be quite severe during pregnancy.
- In addition to the growing baby’s needs, calcium also plays a vital role in the pregnant mother for muscular contractions, nerve conduction, hormone secretion, and blood clotting. So adequate intake of calcium during pregnancy is essential.
Now, the question arises as to how much calcium is good enough. For a normal female, about 1000 mg of calcium is required on a daily basis. This goes up by another 200 to 300 mg for a pregnant woman, especially during the third trimester when the bone and teeth formation is in full speed. This extra amount of calcium should be continued even after pregnancy, as calcium continues to be provided to the baby during the lactation phase.
Some of the symptoms of reduced calcium intake during pregnancy are aching muscles, brittle nails, weakened bones, severe cramping, and dry skin. If there is suspected hypocalcemia, it is best to seek medical advice. It is not advisable to take supplements without medical supervision. Increased amounts of calcium can produce a different set of symptoms.
While these are evident symptoms, there are other detrimental effects on the baby too. Calcium deficiency affects development of heart and associated structures and puts the newborn at a higher risk of developing hypertension. The baby’s fat percentage and triglycerides are also increased. The bone mineral density is reduced. The delivery period could be prolonged, as muscular contractions and nerve conduction are severely impacted when there is less calcium in the system. Recovery from labor is also delayed.
It is possible that you are taking adequate amounts of calcium, but its absorption is affected. Reducing caffeine intake helps in better absorption of calcium. Iron, which is often given during pregnancy, prevents calcium absorption and so needs to be spaced out. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I had bursitis in my right hip about 2 years back it's got cure with orthopedicians treatment I had to take steroids also that time but now or more since 2 years I have a pain in my left hip there is some Boney sound in my back also somewhere and sacral region and pain from the hip joint goes down up to the calf muscle while walking sometimes when I go for a morning walk and the leg suddenly gets pulled up while morning walk for this pain when orthopedician gives me and 3 pm does and all the pain relief but it restarts after stopping the medicines I want that some ayurvedic remedy if gets tested for this because I am already taking ayurvedic medicines after my hysterectomy almost since 15 years.
I am 36 years old female. From last 1 and half year I am suffering from RA post chikungunya and Dengue. I am suffering swelling in my upper arms, wrists, ankle and in the knees area. Feeling very weak day by day and feel very agitated sometimes. Also have Hypothyroidism. Can you please suggest medication for it?
I am 30 year old male. Height 6.2 ft Weight 120 kgs. Have unhealthy lifestyle. Since last 30-40 days, I get pain in lower back after 4-6 hours of sleep. I get up and go to loo to freshen up and then it gets fine in sometime. Due to which I am not having sound sleep. Earlier I used to sleep for 9 hours. Due to the above problem I have started sleeping in the afternoon for an hour or two. It only pains after sleeping 5-6 hours and then get uncomfortable changing sides for few hours. One week back, Physician told me that it is mainly due to overweight and high diastolic blood pressure 126/94 on one hand and 128/96 on other hand. He asked to loose weight and have low salt diet. Kindly verify the issue.
I am suffering form arthritis and lot of pain from it please tell me suitable thing to eat and get rid out from this pain.
इसके लक्षणों में झुनझुनी, दर्द, गुदगुदी या उंगलियों, हाथों और/या कलाई में “मजाकिया एहसास” आदि हैं। अन्य निश्चित विशिष्ट लक्षणों में हैं:
- हाथ के तल और उंगलियों में जलन, झुनझुनी या खुजलीयुक्त गुदगुदी, खासकर अंगूठे, तर्जनी और मध्यमा उंगली में।
- थोड़ी या बिना दिखाई देने वाली सूजन के साथ उंगलियों का निष्क्रिय और फूला हुआ प्रतीत होना।
- पकड़ की क्षमता में कमी और छोटी वस्तुओं को पकड़ पाने में असमर्थता।
- स्पर्श करने पर गर्म और ठन्डे के बीच अंतर कर पाने में असमर्थता।
- पिन और सुइयाँ।
- कलाई और हाथ में दर्द।
- त्वचा की शुष्कता।
इसकी उत्पत्ति के कारणों में कलाई को लगने वाली चोट या आघात जो सूजन, जैसे मोच या फ्रैक्चर उत्पन्न करते हैं; पीयूष ग्रंथि की अतिसक्रियता; थाइरोइड ग्रंथि का कम सक्रिय होना; रह्युमेटोइड आर्थराइटिस; कलाई के जोड़ में यांत्रिक समस्या; कार्य का तनाव; हाथ से कम्पन करने वाले औजारों का बार-बार प्रयोग; गर्भावस्था या रजोनिवृत्ति के दौरान तरल पदार्थ का बना रह जाना; या सुरंगनुमा मार्ग में थैलीनुमा रचना या गांठ का उत्पन्न हो जाना आते हैं। कुछ मामलों में कोई भी कारण पहचाना नहीं जा सकता।
- रोग का शीघ्र निर्धारण और चिकित्सा।
- भारी वस्तुएँ ना उठाएँ।
- कार्य के दौरान विराम लें।
- जीवन शैली में सुधार।
- अपनी कलाइयों को बार-बार फैलाना और समेटना ना करें।
- ध्यान देने की बातें
- अनजाने एहसास और दर्द का भुजा से होकर कंधे की तरफ जाना।
- शुष्क त्वचा, सूजन या हाथ की त्वचा के रंग में बदलाव।
डॉक्टर को कब दिखाएँ:
- अपने डॉक्टर से संपर्क कब करें
- यदि आपको सीटीएस के लक्षण लगातार बने हुए हैं जो आपकी दैनिक गतिविधियों में बाधा डाल रहे हैं, जैसे:
- झुनझुनी और गुदगुदी का एहसास।
- पिन और सुइयाँ चुभना।
- कलाई और हाथ में दर्द।
- त्वचा का शुष्क होना