Cancer Pain Management
Epidural And Spinal Anesthesia Techniques
Diagnostic Cardiac Procedures
Treatment of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimu
Submit a review for Hindu Mission Hospital - TambaramYour feedback matters!
Knee replacement surgery- which is also known as knee arthroplasty, helps to relieve the pain in the knee thereby restoring the knee function. During this procedure, a surgeon cuts the damaged cartilage and bone from the kneecap, thighbone, and shinbone and replaces the same with an artificial joint comprising of high-grade plastics, alloys, and polymers. A patient/surgeon has the liberty to choose the type of knee joint he/she prefers based on factors such as weight, age, overall health etc.
Signs that might indicate a knee replacement surgery -
- The pain in the knee keeps coming back all the time.
- The knee aches after a brisk walk or during an ongoing exercise session.
- The mobility of a person has gradually decreased over time as compared to last few years.
- A supporting cane or medication isn’t delivering the desired support or pain relief.
- The knee tends to stiffen when a person sits for a long time. Example- witting through a movie or sitting in the car for too long proves to be a major hurdle.
- The pain proves to be a major problem that intervenes with sleep.
- The knee motion significantly decreases once a person tries to bend the knee.
- Climbing stairs turns out to be a major hurdle.
- Getting out of bathtubs becomes a major challenge.
- The knee becomes and stays stiff or at least half an hour after getting up from bed in the morning. If the stiffness lasts for more than 60 minutes, it is a sign of inflammatory disease.
How is a knee replacement surgery performed?
- Knee replacement surgery requires overnight stay in the hospital.
- It involves a general or spinal anesthesia.
- Once the skin over the surgical site is cleansed with an antiseptic, the doctor makes an incision and takes out the damaged surface of the knee joint.
- The knee joint is then resurfaced with a prosthesis made up of plastic and metal.
A cemented prosthesis is most commonly used during these days. The prosthesis contains 3 components:
- Tibial component
- Femoral component
- Patellar component
What are the advantages of knee replacement surgery?
- The biggest advantage of this surgery is the freedom from constant and throbbing pain.
- The fact that surgery can increase the mobility also proves to be a blessing for the general condition of the patient.
- Knee replacement also helps a patient to get rid of supporting device such as a cane, wheelchair, pain medications etc.
- The feeling of stiffness also goes away after the surgery.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am feeling week and short of breath sometimes. Sir my platelets count decreased 1lakh40 then I put on a healthy diet it was 2.lakh50 again in two three days platelets drop to 1.lakh70 .now again I am eating iron capsule and healthy diet. I have done all the reports like cbc liver lft typhoidot dengue. All went normal. My esr is 15 .it been month I am feeling weakness in my leg joints. Kindly help.
What is eswt therapy for bones? How much time it takes to complete? N how much fees I have to pay for it?
Hi, I am a student preparing for competitive exams. I study whole day by seating. After study my back is pain too much. I have also neck pain. What can I do.
I had undergone ACL reconstruction surgery and today (21.11.2017) is the 10th day. Presently I face the following problems. (1) Swelling &pain in the knee (mild) and swelling in the foot (mild). (2) Knuckle occurs (with a popping sound and pain) when rising up from the bed (bending the knee from a fully stretched position. The knee is also very stiff when rising up. (3) Whether knee exercises can be done in the swelled position? Kindly suggest the possible solutions.
I want to know the reason for back pain It happens when I continue sit down or work by sitting on floor for more than 20 minutes. I want a solution for it please advice me for it.
In general, anterior cruciate ligament injuries, or ACL injuries, are understood to be tears in any of the several knee ligaments joining the upper leg bone and the lower leg bone. This can vary from minor injuries, such as small ligament tears, to more serious cases, like complete tears or when the ligament and one of the bones gets displaced from the other. These injuries usually occur during sports activities, like soccer, basketball, football, gymnastics, tennis, volleyball, etc. An untreated ACL injury can lead to a condition called an ACL deficiency. This can cause a lot of problems with regard to knee movements as the bones may rub against each other, causing a lot of pain. In some cases, the cartilage covering the ends of the bones may get damaged, eventually tearing and trapping the cushion pads supporting the knee joints.
Signs and symptoms of anterior cruciate ligament may include:
- You are unable to move properly.
- You experience immense pain while walking up and down stairs.
- You are unable to engage much in physical activities.
- Your knee begins to swell gradually.
- You can sense a loud popping sensation when moving your knee.
- You experience feelings of instability.
Anterior cruciate ligament injuries generally occur during sports. Here are some common possible instances that might happen during a game:
- Sudden arrest in motion
- An unsteady landing from a jump
- Direct blows to the knee from tackles
- Sudden shifts in direction
Treatment of ACL injuries normally involves the following:
- Immediate medical attention along with intense first aid care
- Sincere adherence to the R.I.C.E model of self care -
- Rest: Proper rest for a couple of weeks or months depending upon the severity of the injury
- Ice: Using ice packs to help cool the nerves
- Compression: Ice treatment further helps in compression
- Elevation: When lying down in bed, it is strongly recommended that you keep your affected leg at a slightly higher position, through the use of pillows or cushions
- Success rehabilitative therapy for several weeks
- Anterior cruciate ligament surgery or reconstruction
Hi Priyanka Gawde Madam I am in accounting profession so basically whole day sitting job. But in Morning I am doing exercise half an hour for frozen shoulder & half an hour stretching & some yoga for weight loss. In whole day I consume 3 cup of tea having less sugar. Breakfast and lunch taking together in that sometimes taking kanda poha, upma sometimes biscuits with tea. In noon taking fruits one bowl like watermelon, Papita, Orange, Pineapple etc. In evening taking an Apple sometimes if I feel more hunger then eat Pani Puri at night 3 small chapati, pulses and vegetables (I am not eating all vegetables like only few vegetables to eat) one big spoon rice (Not every time with dal avoiding dal instead of that using specs) then went for walking every night after dinner walking 4 to 5 kilometres daily and also walking nearly 2 kilometres during the day and consuming 8 to 10 glasses of water.
I had sprained my ankle 3-4 weeks back. The pain and swelling is almost completely gone, however I cannot run at full speed yet. I do not feel confident. My balance on the injured foot is not great either. I have started strengthening exercises, for the past 5 days. Is there something more I can do recover quickly and resume playing football. Is there some medication that will help me recover my ankle strength quickly?
Hello am 17 years male and yesterday night I went to poop and as I went I was experiencing back pain in there. Also today morning while popping mild pain and now also am facing back pain mild pain but exists. This is an initial stage so what can I do right now. What has to be done?
Pain in back, joints or in muscle can be very troublesome. And if it continues, then it can cause a lot of discomfiture as you then find it difficult to perform even day-to-day activities. Homeopathy very effectively deals with any pain. Let us check the remedies:
Homeopathic remedies for back pain:
- Arnica: Injured back often leads to severe back pain and it can be well treated by this homeopathic medicine. Both recent and past back-injuries can be treated using this medicine. This medicine is absolutely safe and thus you will not face any side-effects at all. Unwanted back stiffness and soreness within back muscles can also be minimized to a great extent with the consistent application of this medicine. Back motions can be made much more flexible by curtailing restlessness.
- Bryonia: There are some prominent symptoms of back pain and they can be easily and efficiently alleviated by this medicine. If you have become pretty tired of applying homemade therapies, then you can try out this solution. This medicine can reduce your pain and inflammation within a few hours, and you can get back to your daily activities with great energy. Apart from taking this medicine, you have to take enough rest so that your back can get relaxed. Your back motion can be smoothened and made flexible by taking the concerned medicine.
Ways in which homeopathy can cure Joint and muscle pain:
- Moving and shifting joint or muscle pains: Many patients have this problem where they face joint or muscle pain but instead of it being constant in one area, it moves around the body. Pulsatilla is known to effectively reduce the symptoms in these cases.
- Arthritis: One of the most common problems that many people report is that of arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, which causes a lot of pain in many people. In many cases, the use of Natrum Muriaticum and Bryonia has been known to allay the pain.
- Tennis elbow or tendon related problems: This is a common ailment, which in many cases is caused by strenuous activities, such as sports. Rhus tox has been known to be effective in such cases.
My mom age is 54. She suffered from severe joint pain in fingers and body leg pain. We went to rheumatologist. Doctor suggest tablet. She took tab for 8 months. But crp level is 17. Only reduce 3 point 20 to 17. Also she suffer body pain, back pain, feel vomit and stomach problem sometimes. Sometimes feel OK. How to reduce crp level and how long continue tablets. Is there any side effect. Other than crp level. Every other report is fine. No hormone, diabetes etc.
I have my nerve stick between my two bone at L4 and L5. What I can do. What types of exercise I have to do.
Recently, from last 10 days, I feel pain in my lower left ankle I.e. In bottom of the feet which continue couple of hours. I'm male 42 years with no history of diabetes, heart etc. But sometimes I have high bp problem.
I've got a back pain from last 3 days. Today its paining severely whenever my back get a little arch also. 3 months ago I had done deadlift of 100 kg too hardly. From that day onwards I felt very little pain. But now it has grown. I can't even move. What should I do now?
Mera pair me dard hai jo kbhi kbhi hota hai our Mera umr abhi 30 sal hai kya ye hmesa ke liye thik ho skta hai.
I got a low back pain. It is increased when I sit on floor and waking up from bed. It will also arise when I undergo extreme running. Doctor prescription not helping.
Anyone can get shoulder pain, and the cause might be simple to serious. You may get shoulder pain because of minor injury, carrying too much weight on the shoulders, poor posture, and any underlying health condition. Sometimes the pain comes and goes on its own without any need of taking medicines, but at times, it becomes difficult to treat them.
Conditions which may lead to shoulder pain may include rotator cuff disorders, instability of shoulders, frozen shoulder, broken arm, broken collarbone, and acromioclavicular joint problems.
The following are a few common causes-
1. Rotator cuff disorder:
A rotator cuff is a group of tendons and muscles which surround the shoulder joint. Tendons are hard and rubbery cords that link muscles to bones. The rotator cuff holds the joint in the right position so that it can move in a desired and controlled way. There are different types of rotator cuff disorder, and each of them leads to various symptoms. But common aspects of the problem include:
- Pain which starts worsening during activities involving the arm above shoulder level. This may include brushing the hair.
- Pain occurring on the front side of the shoulder which tends to worsen during the night
- Ache that occurs on the front and side of the shoulder
Different types of rotator cuff disorders and their characteristics are as follows:
- Tendonitis and bursitis- Tendonitis refers to the swelling of tendon while bursitis is inflammation of the bursa. Bursa is the fluid-filled sacs that are typically placed on the joints and in between bones and tendons.
- Tears- A torn tendon or muscle cause possible weakness and severe pain in the arm and shoulder. Some people also feel a popping sensation when they move the shoulder.
2. Shoulder instability
The shoulder is a type of ball and socket joint and shoulder instability takes place when the ball part of the shoulder fails to fit in correctly in the socket. It can range from catching or slipping feeling to total shoulder dislocation where the ball entirely comes out of the socket.
3. Frozen shoulder
Also referred to as adhesive capsulitis, frozen shoulder is a painful and persistent stiffness present in the shoulder joint. This makes it very difficult for carrying out the full range of normal shoulder movements. Frozen shoulder takes place when there is swallowing, thickening, and tightening of the flexible tissue which surrounds the shoulder joint. This doesn’t allow enough space for the upper arm bone or humerus in the shoulder joint and makes shoulder movement painful and stiff. A person affected with frozen shoulder may find it difficult to carry out the daily chores such as driving, exercising, and sleeping in a comfortable position. Some people may find it absolutely impossible to move their shoulders at all. The symptoms of frozen shoulder can vary to a great extent, but it starts advancing at a gradual pace.
When left untreated, shoulder pain may or may not worsen. When it does worsen it is important to see your doctor.