Doctor in Bharathiraja Superspeciality Hospital & Research Centre
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Bharathiraja Superspeciality Hospital & Research CentreYour feedback matters!
Homeopathy mainly belongs to the system of alternative medicine and its practices, generally to avoid drugs that may cause side effects. It was introduced in the year 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann on the principle that symptoms of disease in a healthy person can cure the diseases in a similar situation of a sick individual. The important therapy here is the placebo effect.Though the method is based on pseudoscience, it has shown some signs of cure in individuals. Similarly, homeopathy has shown shady evidences of cure in young children and even infants. Let's overview a few of such usage of homeopathy in children and its relaxation on the safety.
Significance of homeopathy
Homeopathy remedies can prevent one from shock, excessive side effects, and bruises while undergoing it's suitable medication. It works as an impressive tear soother as well. No doubt, this study field of medicine is indeed based on pseudoscience and placebo effects, however it does comprise some very important theory of medical sciences which holds a strong factor in curing diseases. Therefore, homeopathy as a field of medicine cannot be completely ignored, even though the sheer evidences are rare.
How safe is homeopathy for children?
Homeopathic medicines have shown effectiveness in various cases and are indeed very secure alongside curing diseases of your children. We all know that children should be undergoing a very active life. During this phase, they do tend to become more susceptible to even minor common illnesses. Before undergoing homeopathy medications, several clinical trials had already been conducted to prove how efficient such homeopathic medicines actually were, which has shown positive results.
Thus, you need not get frightened regarding its side effects, which is minimal compared to other sources of medication. The homeopathic medicines which are presently in practice have amazing efficacy, and are also gentle to your child’s health at the same time. Now a days, this is highly developing as the children are showing positive results to its dosage. Also, the kids are more fond of homeopathy sweet pills, tasty fluids, and whitish powders. In fact, they are more accepting to these sources whereas have often shown reluctance towards the allopathic mode of medicine.
Even the infants are easily convinced about the sweet pills. Immunity system has also shown a boost regarding its suitability. With due knowledge, to some extent chronic illness can be handled by the homeopathic experts too or sometimes can prevent further spreading.
Visiting an homeopathic expert for your children
Before choosing a homeopathic doctor, you need to ensure that the doctor is an expert in the field. The homeopathic expert needs to keep a check on a complete family history of the child before referring medicines. Also, diagnosis should be done in a particular manner. The child should be first prescribed small dosage of medication before jumping into conclusions. Hence, homeopathy, if induced rightly, is indeed very safe for children and has the calibre to cure certain diseases in which often other sources fail. Of course a trial once for mild illness wouldn't do much harm. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The main function of the kidneys is to filter blood and remove toxic wastes from the body in the form of urine. The kidneys also help regulate blood pressure and maintain a proper balance of salts and fluids in the body. Kidney problems in children can range from chronic kidney disease and kidney failure to reversible disorders which do not have any long-term effects. Kidney diseases may be caused by many factors.
1. Birth defects
If a child is born with a defect in his or her urinary tract, the risk of suffering from kidney disease is very high. For example, a narrow or twisted urethra can make it hard for the child to urinate and thus increase the risk of infection. Conditions such as fetal hydronephrosis can occur even when the child is in the mother’s womb. This is marked by an enlargement or the narrowing of one or both the kidneys.
2. Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
If a urinary tract infection is left untreated in a child, the bacteria causing the infection can travel upwards into the urinary tract. Once it affects the bladder, the condition is known as cystitis. If this bacteria travels to the kidneys and begins to affect them as well, this results in a condition known as pyelonephritis. This can lead to permanent kidney damage. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to diagnose a UTI in infants and children. Common symptoms to watch out for include bloody or cloudy urine, pain during urination and frequent urination. Infants may also have loose bowel movements.
3. Reflux disorders
In some cases, a defect in the valves between the bladder and the ureters can cause urine to flow backward to the kidneys instead of out of the body. This is known as reflux. It can cause kidney infections and may also cause permanent damage to the kidneys. The good news is that it can be treated and corrected with antibiotics or surgery.
4. Hereditary diseases
Genetic abnormalities can also be the cause of kidney disease. Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is one such condition that is passed down from a parent to their child. In this case, the abnormal genes cause cysts to develop in the kidneys that replace healthy tissue and impair kidney functioning. Alport syndrome is another hereditary kidney disease.
5. Systemic diseases
Systemic diseases are conditions that do not affect any single organ but affect the entire body as a whole. Diabetes and Lupus are two systemic diseases that can cause kidney disease. In the case of diabetes, the body is unable to regulate glucose levels that in turn damage the kidney cells. Though this is the leading cause of kidney failure in adults, it is not so commonly seen in children. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Love making during pregnancy is less talked about because it is a customary to distance pregnant ladies from intimacy. Many women even find it very uncomfortable to have sex during the pregnancy period as their body gets bigger. However, there are other ways you and your partner can opt for to satisfy your needs like caressing, holding each other and kissing. There are some partners who feel sex during pregnancy is the best moment for sex, while there are others who are feared and have their own concerns.
Sex During Pregnancy
Sex during pregnancy should be avoided. If at all done should be gentle, it should avoid pressing abdomen. However, it is safe in second trimester if woman is comfortable. Yes, it is alright for partners to have sex from second trimester onwards, if the woman has had a healthy pregnancy. This is because the thick mucus plug which seals the cervix in pregnant women safeguards the baby against any infection. The strong muscles of the uterus as well as the amniotic sac, keep the little one safe in the womb. NO damage can be caused by the penis of your partner to the baby while having sex. Women can feel some movement of their baby after orgasm. Couples need not worry about the baby, as in no case it would provide discomfort to the baby. The chances of having a premature baby are reduced at times by having sex regularly.
- The conditions in pregnancy when it is better to avoid sex mainly include times when any spotting or bleeding occurs during early pregnancy. In such a case, the Doctors advise not to have sex for at least 14 weeks.
- Your doctor may even advise a pregnant woman not to have sex if she has a history of cervical illness, has had heavy bleeding, had a vaginal infection, and in case of low lying placenta.
- Pregnant woman experiencing frequent abdominal pain or cramps must also avoid sex during their pregnancy.
Sexual Behavior to Avoid During Pregnancy
- There are 2 ways that are not safe and must be avoided while having sex during pregnancy. The first way is oral sex. Any pregnant woman must not allow their spouse to blow air into the vaginal region. Blowing air into the vagina can cause air embolism, and this can be potentially serious for the mother as well as the baby.
- Pregnant women should not have sex with partners who have unknown sexual history as there are chances that he is infected with sexually transmitted diseases like HIV or Herpes. The diseases can be easily transmitted to the baby if you have sex with such a partner. It is better to avoid any complications and stay away from sex during the pregnancy period.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Please suggest Wife ka breast milk stop karna hai. Bacha 4 years ka ho gaya. How to stop her breast milk?
Hello, My daughter is 2 years old. 2 days before she suffered from loose motion. Today she is normal. My mother in law is saying not to give her chapati as her liver will damage with chapati. Is it true? My refuse sabudana water so I tried to feed her khichadi of moong daal with potatoes not milk as said by mother in law. I want to know is eating affecting liver?
Hello Doctor I’ve taken test for Anti Rubella igG antibodies it shows reactive which states prior exposure to (primary, reactivation or reinfection )or response to immunisation to Rubella virus is it normal? I’m very scared please let me know as soon as possible.
Infancy is the most significant phase, where a new born gets the fullest exposure to new world, developing distinct relationship with the people and food. Infants tiny digestive system is still under progress and a special heed should be paid to ensure infants overall development isn’t hampered .New mums are often apprehensive about what should they feed to their tiny tots. As every mother wants the best for her newborn, below is a special guideline, that will help anxious mums to make the wise choices and disregard certain food items in the first year of child’s life.
Foods which can wait till the baby's first birthday:
- Honey: – Honey in any form (raw,organic,cooked) should be strictly prohibited during infancy phase,there are chances of infant getting caught with ‘Infant Botulinum’ toxicity. The presence of Clostridium Botulinum in honey can be dreadful and an infant can show persistent symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea. It can be life threatening. It is better honey is introduced in infants diet after 1st year.
- Salt and sugar: – Salt and sugar are a big no to be introduced during infancy. Making salt and sugar a part of every meal can affect infants taste and could lead to potential health issues. Sugar sweetened beverages can be a potential of developing childhood obesity.
- Hard candies and foods: – Candies, fruits and vegetable sticks in direct form can pose infant on higher risk of choking. It is better off avoided during infancy.
- Cow’s milk: – Introducing cow’s milk during infancy can increase the renal load on infants developing kidneys and can also make the growing child at risk of becoming anaemic in near future.
- Fruit juice: – Fruit juices usually do not impart and may contribute adverse complications like obesity,over and undernutrition, abdominal distention etc. It should only be introduced under recommendation.
- Wheat: – One of the most common allergen, wheat should be introduced in the diet after child’s first birthday. Wheat can tax infants developing digestive system and is usually digested with difficulty. Rice is however a better choice.
- Eggs, fish, Treenuts: – Apart from being the potential allergens, it is better to refrain from these food items during infancy, as they can put an infant at the risk of choking. It is better to introduce them later.
It is important to start with natural purees and make sure the quantity and the consistency is gradually increased based on the preference of the child, tolerability and the nutritional aspect. The above food list will help the caregiver or mother to make smart and safe choices.
My daughter have cold very frequently. She is going to school and she is 3.10 years old now. I am seek of giving her any cold syrup. Could you suggest any home therapy like herbs or anything related to kitchen which is also very safe for her without any side effects. I do give her one tea spoon honey with pinch of black kalonji in empty stomach for 10 days den I stop. Cold have reduced but is it again safe to give? Please suggest.
Before commencing on how to deal with a prodigal child, let’s go to the meaning of the same. The literal meaning of prodigal is wasteful—mostly with regard to money. Its origin lies in the Latin word ‘proagere’ where ‘pro’ means forth and ‘agere’ means to drive. It talks about a person who wastes money by spending it in a reckless manner.
A prodigal child is almost always adamant to make damaging and dangerous decisions, which is quite disheartening for a parent to see. The given points will help parents breathe a fresh whiff of oxygen to deal with such a situation.
- All decisions are God’s: If you realise and accept that all decisions are made by the almighty, you will live peacefully. A human being cannot take charge of another person’s attitude. And when we force things upon anyone, we often end up doing more harm than good.
- Being good to yourself: One of the most important things for a person is to take care of oneself. Sometimes, you need to go out and hang around with your friends. Friends act as great counsellors and when you see them often, you will naturally feel relieved and your body will act in a positive manner. Staying healthy and fit when you know your loved ones need you is your foremost duty.
- Love unconditionally: When you love someone, there would be no complaints. All that needs to be there is just love. Don’t give up on your prodigal child, but pamper him/her and shower as much love as you have on them.
- Bail them out: Sometimes, you need to let the person you love make his/her own choices. Being a parent, you would think selfishly in terms of your child’s betterment and protection. But sometimes, release is the best option to pick to let your child decide on his/her own.
- Accept them: Possess the power to receive your child after he/she has been long off. You should have the courage to accept them, show compassion towards them, run for them, and embrace and kiss them. This will make them feel welcome. You may experience much pain from what your prodigal kid put you through, but upon their return, remember to shower your love on them.
- This too shall pass: Know that this is just a temporary phase, which will definitely get over. This attitude makes it less painful when you watch the destructive behaviour of your children.
- Don’t think you are alone: Everyone has their issues which parents of prodigals do not often consider. These parents feel they are alone and none can relate to their problems. But the truth is there are many people out there who are ready to listen to you and be by your side—just explore.
- Develop boundaries: Say no to abusive behaviour from your prodigal child. Draft out the rules to follow at home. Your prodigal child will throw tantrums, but when you establish boundaries, they will try to act accordingly. Strategize in a way that your child should feel that if they cross their limits, it will have serious repercussions.
- Pray: When you know your strength is waning, pray for your prodigal daily. You can put forth your wish list before God.
- Never give up: It may take your prodigal child weeks, months or years to correct themselves, but never give up the hope of them improving over time.
‘The roads to happiness pass through the bellies!’
Food is the most loved emotion in this world. We all find ways and means to satiate our tongue with our favorite tastes. While we relish the taste, we often forget to de- worm our body. Usually children are often loaded with glasses of milk throughout the day. While nothing is wrong with the milk, the add-ons we usually put to enhance the taste – chocolate powders and sugars surely need some introspection. The market based formulae are enriched with nutrients along with cocoa powder. In order to make it edible it is infused with sugar making it sweet. While they claim to ‘enhance’ the power of milk, they also instigate the worming process in the body. Along with that, indiscriminate amounts of sugar, chocolates, candies and jaggery are known to cause worms. Not only children but adults also suffer from worms which may go unnoticed for a very long term.
Usually no severe symptoms are noted, which often makes us unaware or even ignore the gravity of problem. However there are a few signs which are enough to make us alert with the worm infestation. They are as follows:
- Lack of appetite, excessive salivation in mouth, nausea
- Loose stools. Itching near anal region
- Abdominal cramps.
- White patches on skin.
- Feverish feeling throughout the day.
Now, all streams of medicine encourage de-worming at regular semesters. However, we in Ayurveda believe in practicing it in our day to day lives. It not only prevents the worm infestation but also helps to maintain the gut strength. Following simple methods can be used on day to day basis to avoid worm infections:
- Half teaspoon of turmeric along with half a glass of water in the morning keeps the worms at a bay
- Use of black pepper as seasoning in the foods should be encouraged.
- Garlic should be liberally incorporated in the meals. (Cooked form is better for those who have gastric problems, Chronic Acidity and Headache)
- Small piece of ginger with rock salt should be consumed before meals (Should be avoided by those who have gastritis, Chronic Acidity and summer season)
- Liberal use of pomegranates, drumsticks, carrots should be done in everyday diet.
While these regular practices can keep the worms away, the best way to de-worm is to avoid the worms! It can be done by:
- Restricting the consumption of sweets, chocolates, candies, sugar and jaggery.
- Fermented food and bakery products.
- Avoid raw food.
These simple methods can be used in our everyday lives and would help us avoid the worms. Still if the problems persist, it is advisable to consult an Ayurvedic physician on a priority basis.
Ayurveda is a science which not only deals with diseases and its medicine, but it also emphasizes on the prevention of diseases. Ayurveda teaches us many ways and means to prevent the diseases. Start consulting an Ayurveda physician for a better knowledge about your health. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!