Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in chengalpattu and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sowjan.M
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Sowjan.MYour feedback matters!
Swine flu effected and mylieties effect for a 5 year old boy. Due to breathing problem, ventilator Arranged. How to control breathing problem?
Please suggest what harm tusq p will do to my baby. Because this medicine has been recommended by a pediatrician only.
My daughter gets stomach ache during first two days of menstruation cycle. What steps should be taken to relieve her of the pain?
Hi doctor my baby is 8 months old. I feed my milk to my baby. After 6 months from delivery I got menstruated. Yesterday I did masturbation. Because my husband is feared to have intercourse with me our baby is affected by it. So we try to avoid intercourse. Am not insert anything in to my vagina just foreplay. Am not doing this my vaginal become so painful. After masturbation only am so relief from that pain. Is there any problem to my baby or not. Please suggest we are having intercourse or not.
Healthy eating gives kids the energy they need for their busy days.
Here are some great ways to make it easier.
Breakfast is important: it can be up to 12 hrs since their last meal, so kids need to refuel for the day ahead. Give him healthy choices like cereal and reduced fat milk, toast, fresh fruit, eggs on toast, juice and reduced fat yoghurt.
Water works: get kids into the habit of drinking water to keep them hydrated throughout the day.
Snack smart: encourage your kids to take an interest in their health early in life by planning their own healthy snacks-this will help them look for a healthy diet when they get older.
Get cooking: food is not just about good nutrition; it's one of life's great pleasures. Transform your kids into young cooks-even young children can help peel carrots, pod peas, great cheese, put together tacos or design their own healthy pizza toping. If they've helped make it, they'll be more likely to enjoy eating it.
Slow and steady: encourage them to eat slowly. This prevents overeating and helps them recognize when they're full.
Eat at the table: eating snacks and meals sitting down at the table or kitchen bench instead of in front of the tv is good habit for the whole family.
Get a balance: variety and balance are the keep to helping a child enjoy a healthy diet. Aim to eat a variety of foods each day (this depends on the age of the child) including fruit, vegetables breads and cereals, lean meat or fish and reduced fat dairy products.
Tasty exploration: encourage kids to try different food. Exposure to lots of different tastes and flavours adds excitement to meals.
A nutritional disorder, the problem of rickets occurs if your child suffers from a deficiency of calcium, phosphate or Vitamin D. It causes softened and damaged bones, skeletal deformities, impaired development of the bone's growth plate (a spot of growing tissue found near the end of a long bone in adolescents and children) and stunted growth.
Here are few very simple ways you can prevent your child from getting it:
1. Having Vitamin D and calcium rich foods - One of the best ways to prevent this nutritional disorder from affecting your child is by making sure he or she have foods that are high in Vitamin D and calcium. Egg yolks, fish oil or fatty fish like salmon and mackerel are some of the Vitamin D foods that your child can have to strengthen his bones. Even foods that have Vitamin D added to it such as cereals, orange juice, milk and infant formula can also be given to your child. Sources of calcium can be soyabeans, nuts, broccoli, cabbage, cheese and yoghurt.
2. Going out in the sun - Considered to be an excellent source of Vitamin D, getting your child exposed to sunlight is another excellent way of getting most of this nutrient, as well as preventing him or her from developing rickets. Although the exposure time may vary from individual to individual, about 10-15 minutes of sun exposure without sunscreen can help.
3. Having Vitamin D supplements - Even the consumption of Vitamin D supplements can reduce your child's risk of getting rickets. Since mother's milk contains less than the recommended Vitamin D amount, infants too need to be put on Vitamin D supplements of 400 IU each day. For teenagers and young children, the recommended dosage is 600 IU of Vitamin D every day.
My daughter is 19 months old. She is suffering from persistent diarrhoea of 7 to 10 days. She has been recommended ZnD, Zeedott, Benegut, Pedialyte. Worried about my little one as her intakes are very less. Urine output is also low. Though she is active but fussy about eating. Concerned about management of situation. We are trying to give her chaach, coconut water, khichdi, soup, soya milk etc. But she is not having it much.
She is weeping since her birth we have done all medical test which is good but when we give her painkiller (superspas) she remains quite for sometime so please give me suggestion what I do for my baby to control her weeping.
My baby is 1 year old and her weight is 6.7 KG only, as she is active, she play well, nothing have history problem also nothing have any illness still weight not gain. Is this a worry subject or is there any other thing I need to do, please suggest.
I have a boy is 16 years old doing 10th standard. He is not open minded and not discussing anything to us. He is become angry when we ask anything to him. Always spend time only with mobile and devices, not studying and getting avoid from his friendship circles. Getting complain from school also. Please help me.?
My baby boy age 1 month 10 days he always feel hungry my wife could not have enough breast milk could I use similac by milk bottle for my baby boy does using milk bottle is harmful for baby.
Glucose (blood sugar) levels
Both low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) are of concern for patients who take insulin. It is important, therefore, to carefully monitor blood glucose levels. In general, patients with type 1 diabetes need to take readings four or more times a day. Patients should aim for the following measurements:
Pre-meal glucose levels of 90 - 130 mg/dl
Bedtime levels of 110 - 150 mg/dl
Different goals may be required for specific individuals, including pregnant women, very old and very young people, and those with accompanying serious medical conditions.
Finger-prick test. A typical blood sugar test includes the following:
A drop of blood is obtained by pricking the finger.
The blood is then applied to a chemically treated strip.
Monitors read and provide results.
Home monitors are about 10 - 15% less accurate than laboratory monitors, and many do not meet the standards of the american diabetes association. Most doctors believe, however, that they are accurate enough to indicate when blood sugar is too low.
To monitor the amount of glucose within the blood a person with diabetes should test their blood regularly. The procedure is quite simple and can often be done at home.
Some simple procedures may improve accuracy:
Testing the meter once a month.
Recalibrating it whenever a new packet of strips is used.
Using fresh strips; outdated strips may not provide accurate results.
Keeping the meter clean.
Periodically comparing the meter results with the results from a laboratory.
Supplementary monitoring devices. Other devices are available for monitoring blood glucose. These devices are used in addition to traditional fingerstick test kits, and glucose meters but do not replace them:
Continuous glucose monitoring systems (cgms) use a needle-like sensor inserted under the skin of the abdomen to monitor glucose levels every 5 minutes. In 2007, the sts-7 system was approved. Using a disposable sensor, the sts-7 measures glucose levels for up to a week. An alarm will sound if glucose levels are too high or low. The older minimed system measures glucose over a 72-hour period and has wireless communication between the monitor and an insulin pump.
Glucowatch is a battery-powered wristwatch-like device that measures glucose by sending tiny electric currents through the skin, a technique called reverse iontophoresis. It is painless and has a warning device when detecting high glucose levels. It takes 2 hours to warm up, and the sensor pads need to be changed every day. Glucowatch measures glucose levels three times per hour for up to 12 hours. About a quarter of the time, the results differ significantly from actual fingerstick tests, however.
Hemoglobin a1c (also called hba1c, ha1c, or a1c) is measured periodically every 2 - 3 months, or at least twice a year, to determine the average blood-sugar level over the lifespan of the red blood cell. While fingerprick self-testing provides information on blood glucose for that day, the hba1c test shows how well blood sugar has been controlled over the period of several months. For most people with well-controlled diabetes, hba1c levels should be below 7%. Home tests are available for measuring a1c but they tend not to be as accurate as the laboratory tests ordered by doctors.
Urine tests are useful for detecting the presence of ketones. These tests should always be performed during illness or stressful situations, when diabetes is likely to go out of control. The patient should also undergo yearly urine tests for microalbuminuria (small amounts of protein in the urine), a risk factor for future kidney disease.
Worms are intestinal parasites, which infest human beings and in addition some animals like dogs, cats and so forth. The most common are roundworms, stick worm, tape worm and snare worms. However, here are a few homoeopathic cures for the same:
- Cina [Cina]: For the patient who is irritable, crabby, has a wiped out pale face with circles under the eyes, grinds the teeth around evening time and has convulsions. There is canine appetite or variable hunger. The kid picks his nose and shouts out in his sleep. They tend to twitch their hands and feet and have milky urine. A detectable symptom is a pale blue shading around the mouth.
- Santonine. [Sant]: The alkaloid of Cina is additionally a solution for round worms. It is not a protected cure as Cina and not anymore adequate.
- Caladium [Calad]: Very effective when worms go over the perineum and get into the vagina in young ladies, with the tendency to excite arousal.
- Teucrium. [Teucr]: It is the solution for ascarids or pinworms. There is much disturbance brought about by them in the rectum. Although, it once in a while flops in this condition. Another solution for stick worms is Sinapis nigra.
- Pigelia. [Spig]: student jolting with the paleness of the face, blue circles around the eyes, blackout, sickened feeling with nauseated feeling about the navel brought on by the nearness of worms, shows the need of Spigelia. It has stools comprising of bodily fluid, faces and worms. Put a pinch on a cloth and breathe in till the time shivering and convulsions from the worms stop.
- Ignatia [Ign]: Is effective where the kid is highly energised and has tickling and itching at the butt.
- Indigo [Indg]: Is a solution for ascarids or string worms in melancholic youngsters, with extreme pain in the umbilical locale as well as convulsions from the worms.
- Sabadilla [Sabad]: For those who have worm symptoms like nausea, heaving and colic.
- Stannum. [Stann]: Stannum so stuns the worms that they are easily dislodged by laxatives. It has many worms’ symptoms including pale indented face and eyes encircled by blue rings, Sluggish smell, unpleasing odour, bad breath and inactive fever. Stannum is very helpful in this case.
- Calcarea [Calc]: Calcarea is a very effective remedy to get rid of ringworms as it kills them and they pass through the stool.
- Cuprum oxydatum nigrum. [Cupr-o]: This cure will expel a wide range of worms, cure trichinosis, and even tapeworms. One small cap in addition with Nux vomica four or five times each day for four to six weeks, which dependably promises to cure tapeworm without bringing on the patient any discomfort whatsoever. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.
Hello Dr. my son is 9 years old is suffering from bed wetting problems but only in night. I scolds him sometimes but he is not overcoming from this problem till now. What should I do please help and reply. Regards.
Hi Doctor, I've a gal child this month 29th six months will be completed I need to know what food can I start with breast feeding how many times in a day?
Mera name shashi hai meri age 23 years hai, mera baby sirf 1 month ka hi hai magar mujhe dudh hi nahi aa raha hai mai darti hu ki bahar ka dudh pilane se mera baby kamzor ho jayega so please mujhe medicine bataiye jiska istemal karne se mai apna dudh baby ko pila saku.
Your child needs complete care whether it is emotional, psychological or physical. A thorough evaluation of your child's body and mind is vital at nascent stages. Childs growth should also be checked regularly and monitored. Weight, height and head circumference should be checked and plotted in standard recommended graphs to see if these are normal otherwise timely action can be taken. Childhood vaccinations should be given at right time. These are advised by Paediatrician. If you observe any complaints by your little one that may require medical help, such as:
1. Frequent headaches
Much like adults, children too can experience headaches that last from 30 minutes to 3 hours. A range of primary or secondary headaches like, migraine, meningitis, sinusitis or tension may affect children due to neurological issues.
2. Blurry vision
If you observe either a vision developmental delay or near-sightedness and farsightedness in your child, it might be related to neurological issues.
3. Slurred Speech
If your child is 7-8 months and is not responding to sounds or cannot babble non-sense words, it calls for a neurological check-up.
4. Motor and Co-ordination Delay
Sometimes babies are unable to perform motor skill activities like crawling, walking or using fingers to grip or hold, such delay requires attention of the parent.
Check if your kid has become lazy and decreased his physical activities due to fatigue and tiredness suddenly of late.
6. Abnormal Movements
Common involuntary movements or tics like eye blinking, twitching of nose, grimacing or making sounds is in some cases overlooked. Tourette syndrome is an example of such a tic, which has been evaluated as a neurological issue.
7. Tremors or Seizures
Children are prone to febrile seizures (fits) or tremors along with fever that occur between 6 months and 5 years. These are signs of neurological issues that require an immediate check-up.
8. Numbness in Limbs
Neurological complications in your child’s infancy may also cause joint pain and numbness of arms and legs.
9. Behavioural disorders
A change in behaviour or attitude in your child is noticed if he/she is suffering from attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, school problems, sleep issues, intellectual disability or other neural conditions.
This symptom is tricky in children, as it may be confused with general tiredness by your human eye. It may be unheard of but many children face trouble in performing easy tasks. A neurological exam may identify the source for treatments.
An underlying problem to the nervous system can cause harm or impairment in the normal growth and development of your kid. Early diagnosis helps in correct care, recovery and prevention of long-term problems. You can opt for a routine neurological examination if you find such symptoms in your child. These exams check the functioning of your child’s brain, spinal cord, nerves that come from the brain and spinal cord and offers accurate diagnosis.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!