Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Psychologists in India. You will find Psychologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Mr. Sridhara A
Submit a review for Mr. Sridhara AYour feedback matters!
I am a 40 year old male. I am experiencing extreme mood swings / nervousness which last from 1 to 3 months. It has negatively effected my work and family life. Please advise.
I am 20 years male. I am too attached to my family (specifically my mother). Last week, my father decided to go on a family tour. I had to stay back home since I have my exams going on. This was the first time I was living alone at home which made me depressed and I felt lonely. How to overcome this depression? How to get mentally strong to bear such situations? I need to prepare myself for my future coming situations.
Doctor, My question is I get scare very much for any reason if I hear some of died or some one is suffering any disease, so I think even I will get same and I start thinking negative, so please doc help me.
Hello there, I am 20 years male from Mumbai I sleep a lot. Is there any medicine which can help me to sleep very less. As I want to study for my exams.
Me smoking bahut krta hu. Isse me pareshan hu or chhodna chahta hu. Lekin ye aadat nahi jati. So please help me.
Depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity that can affect a person’s thoughts, feelings, behavior and sense of well-being.
Depressed people can feel sad, empty, anxious, worried, hopeless, helpless, worthless, irritable, guilty, hurt, or restless. They may lose interest in activities that once were pleasurable, experience loss of appetite or overeating, have problems concentrating, remembering details, or making decisions, and may contemplate, attempt, or commit suicide. Insomnia, excessive sleeping, fatigue, loss of energy, or aches, pains, or digestive problems may also be present.
Causes of Depression
- Lifestyle: Lifestyle factors that may play a role in depressed moods include irregular sleep, poor diet, and lack of exercise. Poor diet may contribute to a depressed mood.
- Life events: Life events and changes that may precipitate depressed mood include childbirth, menopause, financial difficulties, job problems, a medical diagnosis (cancer, HIV, etc.), bullying, loss of a loved one, natural disasters, social isolation, relationship troubles, separation, and catastrophic injury. Serious injuries may predispose a person to have a depressed mood.
- Medical treatments: Certain medications are known to cause depressed mood in a significant number of patients. These include hepatitis C drug therapy and some drugs used to treat high blood pressure, such as beta-blockers or reserpine.
- Non-psychiatric illnesses: Depressed mood can be the result of a number of infectious diseases, neurological conditions and physiological problems including hypoandrogenism (in men), Addison’s disease, Lyme disease, multiple sclerosis, chronic pain, stroke, diabetes, cancer, sleep apnea, and disturbed circadian rhythm.
- Psychiatric syndromes: A number of psychiatric syndromes feature depressed mood as a main symptom.
Types of Depression
- Major depression: Major depression is characterized by a combination of symptoms that last for at least two weeks in a row, including sad and/or irritable mood that restricts the ability to work, sleep, eat, and enjoy once-pleasurable activities. Difficulties in sleeping or eating can take the form of excessive or insufficient of either behavior.
- Dysthymia: Dysthymia is a less severe but usually more long-lasting type of depression compared to major depression. It involves long-term (chronic) symptoms that do not disable but yet prevent the affected person from functioning at “full steam” or from feeling good.
- Bipolar disorder (manic depression): Another type of depression is bipolar disorder, which encompasses a group of mood disorders that were formerly called manic-depressive illness or manic depression. These conditions show a particular pattern of inheritance. Bipolar disorders are often chronic and recurring. Sometimes, the mood switches are dramatic and rapid, but most often they are gradual.
Complications of Depression
Depression can have a significant impact on the structure and function of many parts of the brain. This can result in many negative consequences. People with severe depression are at higher risk of suffering from anxiety, chronic depression, other emotional issues or having more medical problems or chronic pain. People with a chronic illness, such as diabetes and heart disease, who also have depression tend to have a worse outcome of their medical illness.
Treatment of Depression
Depressed mood may not require any professional treatment, and may be a normal reaction to certain life events, a symptom of some medical conditions. Lifestyle strategies that may improve depressed mood include wake therapy, light therapy, eating a healthy diet, meditation, exercise, and smoking cessation.
Homeopathic medicines for Depression
The homeopathic understanding of health is intimately connected to its understanding of the mind in general. Homeopaths don't separate the mind and body in the usual way; they generally assume that body and mind are dynamically interconnected and that both directly influence each other. Homeopaths base virtually every homeopathic prescription on the physical and psychological symptoms of the sick person. Psychological symptoms often play a primary role in the selection of the correct medicine. Trying to determine whether a person's mental state caused his physical disease or vice versa is rarely helpful in discovering the correct homeopathic medicine. The homeopath seeks to find a medicine that matches the totality of the person's physical and psychological symptoms, irrespective of "which came first."
Homeopathic medicines for Depression
- Arsenicum album
- Aurum metallicum
- Calcarea carbonica
- Ignatia amara
- Kali phosphoricum
- Natrum carbonicum
- Natrum muriaticum
The homeopathic treatment for depression is customized for you so that you get long term relief. The homeopathic treatment for depression is 100% safe and proven to be effective in most of our patients. The right homeopathic medicines for depression has to be chosen by a qualified and an experienced Homeopathic doctor. So, always consult a specialized homeopath.
In homeopathy, the practitioner prescribes the medicine after considering the totality of symptoms. He takes the elaborate history. Sometimes, it is important to know whether physical symptoms appeared first or mental symptoms appeared first to differentiate between the most similar medicines.
There are about 150 medicines indicated for this purpose. To find out the similimum or the most appropriate medicine a qualified homeopathic doctor takes an extensive account of patient's case taking the process and the chose it. Always consult a qualified homeopathic doctor, as your mental health is important.
Hello doctor. I'm veterinary student. Sometime I feel very irritating. I feel so angry some time. Give me suggestions how to control my mind?
Never lose hope in the process of recovery. Slips may happen. Handle the slips immediately and firmly and learn more about your addiction and creative ways to handle the craving in such weak moments.