Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dietitian/Nutritionists in India. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Weight Management Treatment
Customised Diet Chart
Diet Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Weight Loss Treatment
Child Nutrition Management
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Food Plan Preparation
Healthy Heart Diet
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Therapeutic Diets Treatment
Treatment Of Restenosis
Asthma Treatment & Management
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Submit a review for Dt. SunithaYour feedback matters!
Thyroid and weight loss
Losing weight with hypothyroidism is a challenging task. All those with hypo thyroid and weight loss on their mind, go for a very low calorie diet which can further lower the body’s metabolism, worsening the problem. Hence the correct approach is needed.
Keep a check on your thyroid levels: remember the answer to your weight loss question is solving the reason for weight gain. If you have a thyroid problem and weight loss is your goal, you must keep a check on your thyroid levels. Take your medications regularly and keep your levels as close to the normal range as possible. And you will see your weight coming to normal. Check your thyroid levels every 3-4 months, or at least once in 6 months.
Increase your activity: lowered metabolism is the main hurdle for those struggling with thyroid and weight loss. Increasing the activity levels through exercise will help in increasing the metabolism. Increase your activity levels by including a 30-45 minutes exercise session, be it walking, yoga, tai chi, swimming, cycling or gymming. Take the stairs every time you have to climb up or down. Short medium paced walks after your meals will be beneficial too.
Increase your water and fibre intake:
Hypothyroidism can cause chronic constipation, water retention and edema. Increasing water and fibre intake will help in regularizing bowel movements. Increased water consumption will also help in flushing out your lymphatic system, further helping water retention problems.
Increase selenium intake: to supplement selenium in your diet, include bran, whole wheat, tuna, onions and tomatoes in your diet.
Increase iodine intake: increasing iodine intake will help in improving the thyroid functions. Eat iodized salt. If your doctor advises, go in for iodine supplements as well.
Increase your metabolism: the key for thyroid and weight loss is increasing your metabolism. Here are some tips on how you can do that.
i] Have 5-6 mini meals – Small and frequent meals helps in reducing the sugar spikes and balance the blood sugar level. This will help in avoiding hunger pangs. Small frequent meals help by keeping the digestive system on the go. It helps in burning more involuntary calories and prevents storage of fat.
ii] Green tea – Drinking green tea will increase the metabolic rate and your energy levels. Hypothyroidism makes you feel tired and fatigued all the time. Green tea will help in decreasing the stress levels and will give you the most needed energy kick.
iii] Warm water and lemon – A glass of warm water and lemon early in the morning and after your main meals will help you in keeping the metabolism rate up through out the day.
Thyroid and weight loss:-
Foods to eat: Include a lot of carrots, whole grain cereals, avocado, apricots, fish, asparagus, olive oil and sunflower seeds.
Foods to avoid: Eat less of broccoli, lima beans, cabbage, peanuts, sweet potato, mustard, kale, kohlrabi, linseed and soy products. These foods may interfere with iodine uptake in the body. Don’t cut these foods out completely, just keep these to a minimum.
Whether the excess weight comes from thyroid or other hormonal issues, the key to weight loss is to correct the underlying condition while monitoring your diet, eating the right things and avoiding what’s wrong and exercising. A healthy lifestyle since the very beginning is the solution to every weight related problem, including thyroid and weight loss.
Modern hectic schedule at home as well as workplace has led to the popularity of strategic snacking. Nutrition and Snacking habits have a direct relation on energy level, mental sharpness and motivation. One must identify the right snacks that will not only fill one up without triggering the craving for more snacks.
A snack is considered to be healthy if it is packed with nutrients and its calorie level lie between 100 and 150 calories. Strategic snacking is a great way to keep a check on one's appetite maintaining the energy levels keeping the body balanced.
The following ten snacks are a powerhouse of nutrients which will keep one full and satisfied:
- In order to have a 100 calorie nut pack, make packs of 15 to 20 Almonds, Walnuts or Pistachios. The nuts are rich in protein, fibre and cholesterol-lowering unsaturated fats, which makes one feel full and have powerful antioxidants, like vitamin E.
- One can try out one medium-size raw sliced red pepper or, twelve pods of sugar snap peas or baby carrots with a snack-size 2 ounce container of hummus.
- A cup of high Protein Yogurt, blueberries, cherries, raspberries or strawberries will give 50 calories coupled with 100 calories worth 6 ounces of nonfat yogurt.
- Bars comprise of protein, fibre and healthy fats and a single bar can give 150 calories per bar. They contain nuts and dried fruit, which help minimize the calories keeping the belly full for a longer period.
- Apples and Peanut Butter are high in fibre and peanut butter is high in protein and unsaturated fat and spoonful of peanut butter can stabilize blood sugar and quell hunger.
- Light Cheese is packed with protein, which our body digests slowly so it helps one to stay full for hours. Most cheeses pack a lot of fat and calories, so only light cheese recommended as it provides 150 calories and 18 grams of protein.
- Avocados are full of Omega 3 fats and antioxidants and having an avocado with a sprinkle of olive oil and sea salt will last for the whole afternoon.
- Multigrain Corn Tortilla Chips are made with stone ground corn, flaxseed, quinoa, brown rice and chia seeds which are digested very slowly helping belly to stay full for a longer duration.
- The serving of five to ten Olives are a good source of the antioxidant vitamin E, which reduce risk for cardiovascular disease.
- It is extremely important these snacks proportioned so that one does not have to count or measure them while at work. These will keep one's belly full reducing the hunger urges and moreover these are healthy.