Find numerous Dietitian/Nutritionists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dt. Mrs. Tara Murali
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Holistic Heart Wellness & Health Care - Ayurveda
Child Nutrition Management
Treatment of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart Att
Nutrition Assessment Service
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Angioplasty Stent Surgery
Submit a review for Dt. Mrs. Tara MuraliYour feedback matters!
How to avoid dehydration?
As summer is approaching here are some of the signs, symptoms and tips to combat dehydration.
Dehydration is when your body is losing more fluids than it is taking in.
#prevent it by drinking lots of water daily!
- By the time you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.
- Water contains no calories and is great for your health in other ways. The amount of water you need is dependent on body weight.
- You lose water in many different ways: urine, sweat, feces, and even breathing! even if you are sleeping, water is being consumed by your body's functions.
#dress for the weather to make sure that you're not sweating more than you need to. If it's a hot, humid day, wear lighter clothes.
#water load when needed. If you're going to participate in a sport or a strenuous activity, then drink up before hand ("water loading"). Then drink at regular intervals (around 20 minutes or so) during the activity.
# keep an eye open for symptoms. The most common signs of dehydration are-
- Cracked lips
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Dry, sticky mouth
- Nausea or vomiting
- Producing less urine or darker urine
- Stomach or leg cramping
- Feeling hot (body temperature 99-102 degrees farenheit)
#take breaks when you show signs of dehydration. If you experience any of the symptoms above, then rest for a while in a cool area and drink plenty of water. Remove clothing that constricts blood flow, or air circulation. If you are feeling nauseous, or have already vomited, begin with sips of water, and keep sipping. Fruits are great source to replace lost electrolytes. Give nothing by mouth to an unconscious, or barely conscious person.
#use wet towels or a water mist on the skin to aid in cooling.
#avoid any intentional dehydration, like sterneous exercises to loose weight quickly.
#dehydration can often occur with a stomach problems. One loses lots of fluids through vomiting and diarrhea.
#look out for diabetes-related dehydration. Diabetes is another illness that can dehydrate you. An overabundance of sugar (a "diabetic coma") will increase urination as your body attempts to decrease the glucose in your blood. If you urinate frequently, see your doctor, who can tell quickly if diabetes is present.
#heat stroke as an emergency. It is a severe change in mental status or unconsciousness, or body temperature above 102 degrees farenheit, is a medical emergency! immediately cool the person off using whatever methods are available: shade, wet towels, fans, or a cool water bath (below the neck). And consult your doctor immediately.
- Avoid dark, constricting, or airflow restricting clothing. Avoid covering your skin with anything which prevents sweating.
- If you find it hard to drink that amount of plain water, you can try squeezing fresh lemon, lime or orange slices into water.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks: beer, wine, wine coolers, and liquor. That cold beer may taste good after exercise, but the alcohol in it serves as a diuretic, taking water out of you faster than you can replace it.
- Have fruits like watermelon, and tomatoes that add to the water level in your body.
- Drink more water on windier days, because the wind blows water away from your body. Ever notice your breath on a cold day? that mist of fog you see is the water you are losing through exhalation.
- Avoid colas, coffee and black teas; they contain caffeine and tannic acid that serves as a diuretic, drawing water out of the bloodstream.
- A good indicator of whether or not you are taking in enough fluids is your urine. Your urine should be clear enough to easily read through.
- Limit your amount of salt intake everyday. Those salty fries may look good. But they will dehydrate your body faster. If your going to eat something salty, make sure to have some water on hand! or just drink more water!
- If your body becomes 2 percent dehydrated or more, you can become lethargic, mentally slow, and cranky. But drinking an appropriate amount of fluids not only hydrates your body and helps you beat the heat, but also cleanses your system and flushes out toxins, transports nutrients, lubricates joints, aids your digestive system.
Stay hydrated and keep safe this summer.
Ayurveda is a proven ancient life science that has been curing long term and often, debilitating diseases with a focus on methods like Panchakarma (comprising of pre-Panchakarma treatments like snehan oiling of the body with medicated preparations and swedan medicated steam), oral herbal medications and other tweaks in one's lifestyle that can help in combating the symptoms and advent of diseases.
Shirodhara is one of the methods followed by Ayurveda, which is said to stimulate the pituitary gland or 'third eye' that focuses on pouring warm medicated oil or medicinal decoctions on a certain point on one's forehead for a focused form of therapy followed by a relaxing head massage.
Let us find out the various benefits of Shirodhara:
- Awakening: With this method of oil flow, it is said that the 'third eye' or the pituitary gland gets activated to a degree where awakening of the senses takes place in the true form of the term. Hormones secreted from the pituitary gland the master gland of the body, help control growth, blood pressure, certain functions of the sex organs, thyroid glands and metabolism as well as some aspects of pregnancy, childbirth, nursing, water and salt concentration and the kidneys, temperature regulation and pain relief. This encourages overall better health as the organs also respond and function in a better manner.
- Good for Nervous System: This treatment also helps in stimulating and relaxing the right nerves in the right way which restores the balance the Praan Vaayu . So, the cerebral system also works in a better manner and cognition thrives, leading to a good and healthy state of the nervous system.
- Mental Clarity: When there is clear headedness and a proper balance and flow of chemicals within the brain and the various parts of the body, then there is a better state of mental clarity that the patient can achieve. This can be done with the help of shirodhara as it activates the requisite glands which can produce a more favourable and balanced state of mind. As a consequence, the patient will find that the quality of concentration and productivity as far as various tasks are concerned, will also go up by leaps and bounds.
- Treats Hair Loss: This focussed treatment takes on the hair follicles as well, thanks to the concoction of herbs and oils which is allowed to flow on to the scalp. This can help in preventing and repairing hair loss and hair damage to a great extent due to the nourishment and prolonged treatment method with which the oil is allowed to penetrate deep into the scalp and provide good health to the roots.
- Improves Sleep: This form of oilation therapy is also known to help a person sleep better because the mental faculties work better during the day and this restores the natural rhythm of the body by night, when the right amount of fatigue is achieved thanks to the healing properties of this procedure.
Thus, Shirodhara is a wholesome treatment for the body, mind and soul. Practice Shirodhara on a regular basis for good overall health.