Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in bangalore. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of High-Risk Pregnancy
Treatment of Vulvitis
Treatment of Breast lumps
Embryo Donor Program
IUD Placement Procedure
Pregnant Women Counseling
Management of Pregnancy Query
Treatment of Pregnancy and Heart Disease
Dilatation And Curettage (D&C) Procedure
Nutrition For Pregnant Women
Treatment of Menstrual Disorders
Treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
Treating Disorders of The Unborn Child
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Prenatal And Birth Care
Submit a review for Dr. Vinod KumarYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Heavy or prolonged bleeding during menses is medically known as 'menorrhagia'. It is more common as you approach menopause but can occur at any age. The bleeding has to be severe enough to interfere with your daily activities.
The cause could be hormonal, pregnancy complications, bleeding disorder or a structural lesion like a fibroid, polyp, endometriosis or adenomyosis.
In advanced age cancer of the uterus or cervix has to be ruled out.
Symptoms of heavy periods
- Soaking a pad or tampon every 2-3 hrs or less in a day
- Passage large blood clots during menstruation
- Your period lasts more than seven days
- You become anemic due to excessive blood loss
How to manage excessive bleeding
- Maintain a record: Maintain a record of the no of days and pattern of heavy bleeding.
- Increase your intake of fluids and salt: You should increase your intake of fluids and especially salty fluids during heavy menstruation. You can have vegetable juices like tomato juice as well as salty broths during such times. This will help you especially when your blood volume goes down (which is characterized by dizziness or pounding of heart) when you get up after lying down. Your body would need more than four to six cups on such a day.
- Increase the intake of iron: Increase your iron intake through natural sources like green vegetables, egg yolks, red meat, liver and dried fruits like raisins and prunes. You can also start an iron tablet once a day for faster recovery from anemia.
- Visit your gynecologist: A good history, few blood tests, and a simple ultrasound generally leads to the diagnosis. Sometimes a biopsy is required to rule out cancer. Multiple new drugs have been added in the last few years which have avoided the need for surgery.
An early diagnosis ends up with better results. Hence, it is important to act early. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
Menstrual disorders are caused by a variety of factors and affect every woman in a different manner. In most cases, it manifests itself in the form of fluctuations in menstrual flow and irregularity in the monthly cycle. Certain disorders are not too severe and can be easily alleviated. Others are more complicated and require the immediate attention of a gynecologist.
As mentioned, there are different specific causes of different kinds of disorders resulting from a range of factors such as hormone levels, functioning of the central nervous system, health of the uterus, etc.
Some of the most common causes of menstrual disorders are as follows:
- Hormonal imbalance: Fluctuating hormone levels in the body have a direct impact on the menstrual cycle. These fluctuations can be caused by dysfunction in the pituitary gland, thyroid gland or adrenal gland. It can also be a result of malfunction in either or both ovaries and the secretion of hormones originating there.
- Anatomic problems: One fourth menstrual disorders are caused by problems of the anatomy. These include various gynecological issues like the presence of uterine fibroids and polyps, reduced uterine contractile strength, adenomyosis (intrusion of uterine tissue into the muscular wall of the uterus), a uterus with an excessively large surface area, and endometrial cancer.
- Clotting irregularities: Abnormality in clotting is a cause of heavy menstrual bleeding in women. It leads to exceeding blood loss from minor cuts and gashes and makes one easily prone to bruising. This may also include medical conditions such as thrombocytopenia (platelet dysfunction) and Von Willebrand disease.
- Medications and supplements: There is a wide range of medications and nutritional or hormonal supplements which often cause menstrual disorders in women and lead to fluctuations in the menstrual cycle. These include medicines such as aspirin, ibuprofen, estrogen pills, Vitamin E supplements etc.
- Miscellaneous factors: These are comparatively rare and require a greater degree of medical attention. It includes conditions such as cervical cancer, ovarian tumors, liver and kidney diseases, uterine infections, extreme psychological stress, obesity, etc. Incidents such as miscarriages and unsuspected pregnancies are also known to cause abnormal menstrual bleeding.
Hi Doctor, I am 30 years old female. I am having severe endometriosis since 2006. I had 2 laparoscopic surgeries in 2006 and 2009 for left ovary. Now again endometriosis appeared right ovary and AMH level is 1.75. Fertility doctors suggesting to me go for Donor IVF. Please can you suggest me is there any other possibilities without IVF.
Stress, smoking, obesity render 15% of delhi's males infertile
" in delhi, over 15 per cent of the male population is infertile, a rate greater than that of females. Apart from stress, smoking, obesity, inactivity and steroid consumption, air pollution adds fuel to the fire.
PCOD / PCOS in females
It's a very intriguing problem and often treatment wrongly by most of the practitioners. It's mainly due to problem with the" egg growth / formation and rupture.
Patients are mainly given:
- tablet metformin for years
- subject to laparoscopy operation
- pcod drilling
- follicular monitoring for months
- multiple iui for months. Etc.
Over the years it has been observed that the above treatments have not given fruitful results in tough pcod cases.
" timely selection - correct treatment" is the key in such cases. Infertile couples who have undergone standard treatments (follicular monitoring, timed intercourse, iui) for 1-2 years must not waste time and shift to advanced treatment like ivf / icsi.
" advanced technology is the need of hour to fight tough / complex problems"
Typical pcod / pcos symptoms:
- delayed / irregular period
- hair growth on body
- weight gain.
People do ask this question to me so many times.
But this s not true, yes there may be difficulty in getting pregnant after 35 years but not true that always you will end sterile.
The fact is that each woman will be born with fixed number of eggs in her ovary at birth, after which with each menses eggs number start decreasing year after year, and above age 35 it decreases very fast. So some patients may not become pregnant or may face difficulty in getting pregnant.
But with latest treatment modalities like ivf you can become pregnant, so please do consult infertility consultant and get treated as early as possible or else you will be left with donor ovum option only.
Please feel free to talk to me.
Patients with endometriosis, a condition in which there is ovarian cyst filled with blood, usually think that they can't become pregnant.
This is totally wrong information infact a myth. Yes in the past these patient s had less treatment options and we're sometimes ended up not becoming pregnant left with only option of adoption.
But now in this era, there are alot of latest treatment modalities which include laparoscopic resection, harmonal injections and ivf for patients willing to conceive.
So I request people with this condition to consult the nearest infertility consultant and get treated and lead a normal happy family life.
Please feel free to contact me for any help. God bless you all.
I have pcod, I used medicines for 1 month, I got my periods regular& this month I got my periods before 1 week of the date, is that a sign of curing pcod?
Hi sir, I am 31 years old. I am pregnant. I am suffering from thyroid. Please suggest me proper diet and exercise as well as for how much time I have to walk daily.
Hi doctor, I am 18 years old and I had a unprotected sex with my boyfriend on Dec 20th and immediately took an I-pill within an hour. From yesterday on ec 27th I had noticed some blood clots and thin bleeding unlike my periods. But the very next day it seems like my period blood but it is too thin. Moreover my Period date is on Jan 11 or 12 approx and my period is always irregular and very painful. So doctor, is I am pregnant? Or it is due to the hormonal changes due to dose of I pill. Please help me madam/sir. Thanking you.
I am in trouble I rubbed my penis in my gf vagina and my sperm discharge in pent and my gf also wear pent it is possible she became pregnant.
After marriage usually sexually active couple do get good news of pregnancy usually within the first year unless they are intentionally delaying or postponing it. But if they not getting pregnancy it is common to face embarrassing questions when they attend a social gathering which s bombarded by family and friends.
So the couple get stressed out and sometimes go into depression and start thinking about not getting pregnant all the time leading to loss of interest in usual work and life and get disturbed even at work place.
Soon follows the advice of friends n family to visit some age old so called baba or to visit some particular place of worship to get pooja s done to become pregnant instead of asking them to visit a gynaecologist or infertility specialist to find out the cause of not conceiving and getting help by getting treated.
We doctors keep saying that at the present era of digitisation couple should start visiting gynaecologist or infertility specialist soon after one year of infertility to get themselves counselled, diagnosed the problem and to get treated. So that patients get help from trained professionals and get pregnant sooner than they think by using various treatment modalities. The latest modalities available include IUI, IVF, ICSI, laser hatching, blastocyst culture, ovum or sperm donor programme, etc.
So I request all the infertile couple to please do visit nearest infertility specialist to get diagnosed your problem and get treated for the specific problem and lead a happy family life.