Find numerous Oncologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Oncologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Vinayak V Maka
Submit a review for Dr. Vinayak V MakaYour feedback matters!
How to avoid cancer in life while eating tobacco daily with access And avoid or getting cure of it if possible?
Simple renal cysts are often found even in normal kidneys. In fact, they are so common that they are rarely considered as a disease. Certain lifestyle traits or genetics can be the cause of renal cysts occurring in adults as well as children, though no conclusive reasons have yet been confirmed for the occurrence of the same. Medical imaging technology such as ultrasound, X-ray, and CT scanning are being extensively used to discover these lesions.
In various surveys of people undergoing ultrasound for evaluation of non-kidney-related problems, generally 15% men and 7% women over the age of 50 were detected with renal cysts. Once the radiologic imaging of the cyst is obtained, the doctor can determine what further examination will be required.
There are basically two types of renal cysts, simple and complex.
- Simple cysts are usually round, have a thin outer wall, are filled with fluid and are rarely required to be treated.
- Complex cysts, however, can have thicker walls with solidified mass or can also be a collection of small cysts. These are definitely required to be examined further as they can be cancerous.
With the latest radiological approach to renal cysts, i.e. the Bosniak classification, observation of lesions is preferred to biopsy. Even though biopsies nowadays are largely non-intrusive, they are still recommended under very specific circumstances.
This classification uses a complicated algorithm of CT scan features like size, density and perfusion and places cystic renal masses into one of the five different categories. Categories I and II are generally simple cysts, not requiring further analysis. Still, an ultrasound is repeated at intervals of 6-12 months to ensure that the cyst is not growing. However, Bosniak category IIF cysts indicate complex cysts which are required to be observed. Lack of change with time indicates that the mass is benign, while any increase indicates the possibility of cancer. Through observation, one can prevent unnecessary surgeries.
It is mostly recommended that lesions falling under Bosniak III category should be immediately surgically removed as 40-50% have the possibility of becoming cancerous. However, close follow-up with magnetic resonance imaging can be used to avoid unnecessary surgeries as it is useful for characterizing the internal content of a cyst which may be is indeterminate even after the ultrasound and CT scan. Category IV lesions necessarily require surgical removal of the kidney, as nearly 85-100% of these are cancerous. More than 90% of those diagnosed with renal cancer which is confined to the kidney can hope to become disease-free within five years after diagnosis.
Thus, complex renal cysts have a higher possibility of developing into cancer if they are found to be malignant during the period of observation and steps should be taken for immediate removal. Consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Carcinoma prostate with bone metastasis (post chemotherapy and radiation) severe bladder outlet obstruction chronic kidney disease (stage 4) bicytopenia.
My friend is 26 years old and he continuously tilt his neck. Sometimes he feels his neck is stuck in one direction only. He feels it's a cancer.
Benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH is a condition where the prostate gland gets enlarged. This is mostly common in men who are ageing. When the prostate gland gets enlarged, the flow of urine through the urethra gets blocked, and hence, several problems related to urination may occur. BPH occurs as a result of hormonal imbalance. If untreated, BPH can lead to severe bladder and urinary health conditions.
There are several symptoms and signs of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Here are 7 common symptoms:
- A frequent need for urination: Men affected by BPH feel an increased need to urinate frequently. This gets enhanced during the night and is called nocturia. The patient may even need to urinate more than eight times a day. Due to the enlarged prostate gland, more pressure is put on the urethra, which leads to uncontrollable urination.
- Urinating difficulties: The act of urination becomes difficult. Because of enhanced pressure on the urethra, the flow of urine to the penis from the bladder gets blocked. This makes a urine stream hard to start. The urine stream gets weak and interrupted, and more difficulty may be experienced during the end of urination.
- Pain during urination and ejaculation: Due to pressure on the urinary tract and reproductive system, pain can accompany urination and ejaculation. Some patients tend to push urine out, which results in pain. The pain may also occur because of infection during BPH.
- Blood in urine and an unusual color/smell: Urine may take a dark color and have an unusual smell due to urinary retention. Unpleasant urine smell signifies urinary tract infection. Blood in the urine may also result because of dilated veins present on the surface of the enlarged prostate.
- Urinary retention: When a patient is unable to pass any urine, it is called urinary retention. Such a condition requires immediate treatment, and you need to consult a doctor immediately.
- Urinary tract infections: Bacteria may start growing in the bladder when the bladder is not fully emptied of urine. This bacterial infection causes darkening of the urine, and emission of a foul odor.
- Bladder stones: Bladder stones may develop because of the inability of the bladder to empty itself completely. This is a major symptom of BPH. Hard lumps of minerals or bladder stones are formed when the urine present in the bladder gets highly concentrated, which causes the crystallization of minerals. Bladder stones may cause infections, result in blood in urine, cause bladder irritation and may also block urine flow.
So you see that benign prostatic hyperplasia involves the enlargement of the prostate gland, and results in several problems related to urination and different symptoms. Hence, immediate treatment is advisable. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The formation of malignant cells in the larynx tissues leads to laryngeal cancer. Most tissue malignancy occur in the squamous cells (flat, thin cells inside the larynx lining). Men are more susceptible to laryngeal cancer than women.
Laryngeal cancer falls under the category of neck cancer and head cancer. The risk factors of laryngeal cancer include:
- Using tobacco based products
- Drinking excessive alcohol
- Exposure to asbestos and sulphuric acid
The symptoms of laryngeal cancer are:
- Coughing or sore throat that does not heal (know more about Whooping Cough)
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Pain in the ears
- Throat or neck lumps
- Hoarseness in the voice
The conventional treatments for laryngeal cancer are radiation, chemotherapy and surgery.
Ayurvedic treatment can be used together with conventional therapies. Ayurvedic remedies have minimal side-effects and as such are safe. Usually, conventional therapies weaken the body. Fatigue is a common side-effect of harsh treatments like radiation and chemotherapy. As such, Ayurveda aims to bring the body back to balance by fighting the effects of harsh treatments that cause imbalances in the body. It hopes to achieve harmony through natural methods. It can increase energy, promote wellbeing, balance the body, mind and spirit, reduce stress and prevent the disease from returning.
Eating certain healthy food, herbs and professionally prescribed Ayurvedic remedies can help with cancer treatment. Besides healing your body from the inside, there are other important beneficial remedies that can prove to be useful. They include:
- Meditation can reduce blood pressure, anxiety and improve all around well-being.
- Yoga and pranayama is supremely helpful
- Oil massages with healing herbs and essential oils are good for the body and mind
Cancer treatment requires time and patience. You cannot hasten the process. If you are recovered or you are in the recovery phase, it is important not to fall back to the bad habits that put your body out of balance. So if you are on treatment, or done with the treatment, do not start smoking or drinking again. smoking and drinking harms the good effects and can lead to recurrence of the disease.