Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Vijaya Kumar
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Management of Emergency Conditions
Manual Therapy Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Vijaya KumarYour feedback matters!
I am addicted of smoking and drinking. I want to leave it but I can't able. Give some ideas about how to leave smoking and drinking?
I'm unable to study something that is not interesting for much time. Sometimes even the interesting ones cannot be studied. I think I'm having issues with attention. I am worried because this was probably not this worse few months back.
How to quite smoking and recover the damage cause by the smoking, sir I want to recover my body and wanna fit?
There are various test like lipid profile test, serum cortisol level, hrtc scan of paranasal sinuses, urine routine test, urine metanephrines, blood sugar. I am suffering from stress and anxiety and extreme hot flashes (symptoms - hbp, too much facial sweating when anxious, ghabrahat and panic attacks when driving or in front of crowd). And mujhe ye sab test kisi online doctor ne kaha hai but I can't afford too much test as I'm belonging to middle family So I need your opinion in me se kaun sa test main hai jisse ye diagnose ho jaye ki muje anxiety and nervous sweating kyun rehti hai as my main problem is sweating when anxious.
If your child is suffering from mental retardation, homeopathy can help. A system of complementary medicine, homeopathy works on the dictum of ‘like treats like’. It is able to treat some of the toughest disorders and illnesses that allopathy finds hard to contain.
Mental retardation: Definition
- Mental retardation is a blanket term for a pattern of persistently slow learning of basic motor and language milestones during childhood.
- The adult manifests a below-normal intellectual capacity too. Such people have an intelligence quotient (IQ) of 70 or below.
- They usually have developmental disabilities, developmental delay, or learning difficulties.
These signs should alert parents and spur them to see a doctor-
- If your child learns to sit up, to crawl, or to walk later than other children
- Trouble speaking and forming words, remembering things, and having trouble understanding social rules
- Trouble solving problems
- Trouble thinking logically
What needs to be made clear is that poor academic performance by itself is not a sign of mental retardation. It can be due to multifarious reasons like behaviour problems.
Causes of Mental Retardation
- Down syndrome and Fragile X syndrome are the most common genetic causes of mental retardation.
- Problems during pregnancy and birth
- Rubella infection in pregnant mother
- Iodine deficiency in mothers
- Malnutrition is a common cause of reduced intelligence in children.
ADHD - Most Common Mental Disorder
ADHD or Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder refers to those psychological disorders, which significantly alter a child's behavior and considerably affects his or her relationships with others. This condition is seldom preceded by perceptible symptoms and even when they do, they are difficult to decipher. However some of them are:
- Self-centered: Those children who suffer from the attention deficit hyperactivity syndrome tend to be encapsulated in their own subjectivity. Though this does seem harmless apparently, this tendency may lead them to be insensitive to other's needs and wants.
- Emotional outbursts: ADHD makes children extremely susceptible to frequent emotional outbursts and makes them erratic.
- Difficulty in concentration: Children who suffer from ADHD face extreme difficulty in concentrating or focusing on things. Many a times they fail to repeat what was told to them.
Autism - Mental Disorder
Autism, sometimes also classified as part of the Autism Spectrum disorder or ASD is a disorder of brain development, which will affect a child's capability to interact socially, in communicating through verbal and nonverbal means as well as exhibit repetitive behaviors. Some severe cases of these behaviors may also result in self-harm as well.
Other than this some other characteristics may be:
- Major to minor difficulties in motor coordination
- Intellectual disabilities
- Attention problems
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Sleep related problems among others
How homeopathy can help
Conventional medicine is mostly used to treat some of the symptoms but is never used to cure or provide remedies for a mental disorder. A proper professional homeopath will be able to guide you to get the best results for your child and reduce all the problems of the respective disorder, if not outright cure it.
After a case taking and proper evaluation of the case the homeopath decides which remedy is to be given. Results are quick and the changes in the children are seen fast.
There are other things that you as a parent can do to help your intellectually disabled child like learn everything you can about intellectual disabilities. This way you can guide your child to live a near-normal life successfully. Also get your child involved in group activities like art classes, drawing etc. This will help him learn social skills and become more independent.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
What is stress?
There are situations in life when a person is required to perform beyond his/her normal capacity, or situations when some expectations are not met. This creates anxiety, fear and anger. This is a situation where a person feels inadequate, under-confident and experiences loss of control. This affects a person's physical and mental wellbeing. This feeling of fear, anxiety, restlessness is commonly known as "tension or stress".
Symptoms of Stress :
- Anger and aggression: While under stress a person starts doubting his/her own capacity and efficiency because he/she feels inadequate or incapable of performing certain tasks. This creates a lot of anger or frustration and sometime, may result into aggressive behaviour.
- Irritability: Under stress people get irritated for no reason. There is loss of patience, loss of sense of humour.
- Sleep disorders: A person under stress may not be able to sleep at all or in some cases sleep excessively.
- Eating disorders: A person under stress may lose appetite or in some cases, tend to overeat resulting in harmful effects on body.
- Anxiety: Stress may cause a lot of anxiety and restlessness. The person under stress may not to able to concentrate and unable to focus on any activity, making things more complicated.
- Depression: In a few cases a person under a lot of stress may go into depression.
- High BP: Body and mind are closely connected. Hence stress in mind creates stress in the body and under stress, blood pressure may rise.
- High sugar level: Stress may increase the blood sugar levels.
- Headache or unexplained body pains: Stress may cause headache or body aches in different parts of the body, without any physical reason for it.
Sometimes, there may not be any symptoms for stress but the trauma manifests in the form to heart attack, Stroke etc.
What causes stress ?
- Relationship issues - Conflicts in relationships is a major cause of stress.
- Life style - Working for long hours, sedentary lifestyle, unhealthy food habits, along with insatiable urge for money causes a lot of stress.
- High expectations from oneself and from others - The peer pressure, the pressure of constant deadlines builds up a huge stress. When a person has very high expectations from himself/herself without corresponding efforts, there is a fear of failure which causes lot of tension. At the same time, having unrealistic expectations from others also is a definite reason for disappointments, resulting in stress.
- Physical and emotional abuse - When a person is physically or emotionally abused and unable to defend himself/herself for various reasons, it causes frustration. This results in anger and stress.
- Competition - Unhealthy competitions with others create a feeling of inadequency and result in lower self esteem and sadness, thereby causing stress.
- Health issues - Chronic and serious health issues cause lot of tension.
- Suppressed emotions - Lack of freedom to express own emotions and feelings, amounts to stress.
- Lack of assertiveness - Inability to say "No", when wanting to say so, inability to fight for one's own rights, causes tension and anger.
- Boredom - Lack of creative/interesting occupation may cause stress especially in old people or people with physical disabilities.
- Low self esteem, feeling hopeless and helpless - If a person has low self esteem and does not value oneself, it causes lots of negativity and stress.
Why stress management is important?
Body and mind affect each other's functioning. When the mind is stressed out, it gets reflected in the body in the form of high blood pressure, high sugar levels, indigestion, acidity, heartburn, ulcers, skin rashes, headache, nausea, cancer, eating disorders, psychosomatic pains etc. It may trigger asthma, migraine etc.
Because of these harmful effects of stress, the body's capacity to function reduces. At times, it may cause serious threat to one's life. Hence, it is very important to learn to relieve and also to manage stress, in order to have a long and healthy life.
There are a number of ways to relieve stress:
- Sleep, take rest, relax.
- Take a break from daily routine, do something different, take a short vacation.
- Go for a walk/jog/run/cycling. Practice Yoga, meditation, deep muscle relaxation, etc.
- Spend time with friends and family.
- Play with children.
- Spend time with pets.
- Pursue a hobby like reading, gardening, painting, music, dance, singing, cooking, etc.
- Recreation - Watch a movie, play, picnic, go for a drive or shopping.
- Pamper yourself with beauty treatments, massage, or your favourite food/drinks.
How to manage Stress?
Stress is inevitable part of life now. Right from a kid going to Pre-Nursery school to senior citizens staying alone at homes and having severe health problems; all are under lot of stress. No one can avoid stress. But there are certain ways to manage your stress-
- Self-awareness. Learn more about your own self. Understand what induces stress in you, what tasks are difficult for you, what situations are difficult for you and then try to figure out the reasons why it is so. Try to resolve or modify your thoughts and attitude.
- Identify stressors and explore options. Once you identify what is causing your stress, try to find more options to resolve your issues.
- Reasonable expectations and feasible goals. Have reasonable expectations from yourself and from others. Have goals which are possible for you to achieve.
- Learn assertive techniques. Learn to express your feelings, learn to fight for your own rights, understand and respect other's rights.
Try to minimise stress in life and lead a happy healthy life. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a psychologist.