Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Venugopal H.GYour feedback matters!
Heartburn is a common symptom experienced by many people, but is often overlooked as indigestion. Besides making you uncomfortable, this can be a sign of a much bigger health problem. While the occasional heartburn can be treated with antacids, chronic heartburn can be a sign of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or acid reflux.
Here are three important reasons you should not ignore heartburn
- It can promote tooth decay: The acid regurgitated might not necessarily stop in the esophagus. It can often also make its way into your mouth. When this happens frequently it can promote tooth decay and wear out enamel. This can also leave your mouth with a sour taste. Acid reflux induced tooth erosion can easily be prevented by the early treatment of acid reflux,but in most cases is noticed only after the damage has been done.
- It can cause cancer of the esophagus: Chronic acid reflux that persists for years can lead to changes in the cells of the esophagus. This can lead to a cancerous condition known as Barrett's esophagus. The condition has no other symptoms can if left untreated can develop into cancer of the esophagus. Women are at a higher risk of this form of cancer than men. Though esophageal cancer is relatively rare, it is not something to be trifled with. The survival rate of esophageal cancer is very low in comparison to other forms of cancer. Only 15-20% patients live longer than 5 years after this condition is diagnosed.
- It can lead to breathing problems: Heartburn is caused by stomach acid flowing back into the esophagus. If it is inhaled after regurgitation, it can worsen asthmatic conditions and pneumonia. At the same time, treating acid reflux with medication like PPIs can also increase the risk of pneumonia as it can promote bacterial growth and suppress coughing. Thus, when consulting a doctor for acid reflux treatment ensure that you mention any existing asthmatic conditions so that you can be treated with your lung functioning in mind.
In addition, acid reflux can also impact a person's health and quality of life. To prevent heartburn people often find themselves avoiding certain foods. This can impact their social lives and in turn make them withdrawing into themselves. A person's sleep can also be affected by heartburn. Hence, it is important to treat heart burn as early as possible and not wait for it to become a chronic problem.
Hi, one of my friend got suffering with gall stone with size of 8 mm. And also with fatty liver. She's now at the age of 23 yrs. After consulting a specialist, he said to remove the gall bladder totally. She's worrying now whether she might get some digestive system complications in the future. Kindly suggest my friend and help her to find a better way. Thank you.
I have very weak digestive system. Acidity and constipation happens to me very frequently. Please help me how to make my digestive system strong?
Sir/mm I have the chronic gastric for last 3 year, I am taking cyra 20 and pan 40 ,sleeping tablets and vitamin tablets but now not yet cure, any best solution in ayurveda ?
She is facing pain in lower abdomen and in the back She has lots of white discharge plus painful urine discharge.
Dear sir I have a abdomen pane for last 9 days. It is on my right side of my belly bottom. And it come severe some times. Please help me sir soon. I am waiting.
Sir I have constipation problem due to that reason I suffer from acidity problem regularly sir pls give some solution.
I'm 20 male my right Testicle is bigger than Left and its paining if it disturbed i'm feeling uneasy abdomen is also paining little is it serious and how to cure?
Help! I was having gas problem and improper stool clearance for 2 weeks. Took softovac and now, having diarrhea and loose motion for 2 days. Had 3 doses of Zedott (before food) and O2 (after food). Avoided diary and sweet foods. Need to use the washroom twice every hour or once an hour minimum. Have exams, couldn't sleep at night.
Whenever I am going for toilet, I am having pain in abdomen. I k ageing to toilet almost 3 times a day, please suggest.
Some times I could not get well sound sleep or digestion will not be properly and would rather pumping gas as like fat. So how can I recover from these disease and what prescription or step should require for it?
Sir I have gastric problem and ulcer problem I need to rectify this problem with medicine I am taking lot of medicine. But not cured how to cure this.
I am 20 years old and I have a problem of acidity and my abdomen always has a bump because of the gas formed inside. So what should I do?
Inflammatory Bowel Disease needs to be controlled in the initial stage only so that severe symptoms can be prevented. There are a few easy treatments that need to be followed for getting instant relief and quickest recovery.
What are the commonest signs of Inflammatory Bowel disease?
- Fatigue and fever: Low-grade fever can be experienced, which might invite fatigue, tiredness and weakness. Your energy levels will become too low, and thus you will lose your concentration to work.
- Diarrhea: This is regarded as the commonest signs of all, and it can be quite severe in a few cases.
- Stool with blood: If you find blood with stool, then it is a serious case, and this sign confirms clearly that you have got IBD.
- Cramping and abdominal pain: Ulceration and inflammation within digestive tract might invite both cramping and abdominal pain. Vomiting and nausea are the other two symptoms that are associated with the same.
- Weight loss: Your digestive system can get disturbed as a result of which you might lose weight on a frequent note. On the other hand, your appetite will get disturbed, and you will suffer from malnutrition.
What are the best ways to treat Inflammatory Bowel disease?
- Lifestyle change: Proper diet should be maintained, and you should include foods with low fats, high fiber and others. Non-spicy and non-dairy foods are quite suitable in this case. Smoking, alcohol drinking and other bad habits should be curtailed from the diet. Eat healthy and drink water in abundance.
- Surgery: Only for dealing severe conditions, especially ulcerative colitis and crohn's disease, surgery is chosen as the best option but this decision is normally taken by the doctor.
- Medications: Specialized medications are being used like anti-diarrhoeal medications, pain relievers, and iron supplements, Vitamin-d and calcium supplements, vitamin-12 supplements and many more.
- Home remedies: There are few commonest homemade therapies that can treat IBD, and they are meditations, probiotics, acupuncture, turmeric, aloe Vera, fish oil and others. These remedies are the safest of all, and thus no side-effects will be faced.
- Doctor's assistance: Without doctor's help, you will not be able to get the quickest recovery from IBD. Therefore, you got to visit the clinic regularly in order to get the perfect treatment. There are a few therapists who can help you to get rid of unwanted emotional difficulties. A support group can also be joined for receiving moral support.