Find numerous ENT Specialists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. Vaishnavi VYour feedback matters!
Ear aches are a very painful condition, which tends to affect mostly children. However, adults can be affected by ear aches as well, which can disrupt their routines and be quite painful. Let's have a look at some of the aspects of ear aches in adults.
Causes of ar aches in adults
There are many causes for ear aches in adults and it may vary from one person to another. However some general causes of ear aches in adults are listed below:
- Infections within the body: If you have a throat infection or cold, it could trigger an ear ache as a side effect. Treating the underlying problems will, thus reduce the ear ache or it will go on its own when the symptoms of the cold subside.
- Ear canal injury: Adults are most often guilty of putting in sharp objects to clean their ear canal, which may result in an injury and also lead to infections. These injuries can also be infected and cause fluid discharge and ear aches.
- Blockages caused by the regular use of ear buds: Using ear buds or other sharp objects to clean the ear will only result in pushing the ear wax further into the ear. This will result in blockages of the ear canal and cause ear aches.
- Dental problems: Certain dental problems, such as wisdom tooth growth can result in problems. Even gum disorders have been known to create ear aches in adults.
- Jaw pain and facial pain: Jaw pain and even facial nerve pain has been known to affect ears and cause aches as well.
Symptoms that may accompany ear aches
Depending on what the causes of the ear aches are, the symptoms may vary. Still, let's have a look at some of the known common symptoms of ear aches in adults:
- Irritability and lack of focus: Ear aches may initially manifest as a headache and make the person irritable.
- Poor sleep: Fluids may build up within the body and thus cause issues while sleeping as the fluids may shift from one area to another.
- Ear drainage: If in case fluids build up, they may drain from your ear, which could vary anywhere within yellow to dark brown colour. This may even indicate that your eardrum is ruptured.
- Hearing problems: Fluid buildup or other underlying causes may also cause hearing difficulties.
- Fever: Sometimes, fever may run as high as 104 degree C due the very infections, which may be causing the ear ache.
Whatever may be the cause, if you have ear aches for sustained periods without underlying reasons, you should visit your doctor immediately to get it checked out, so that appropriate treatment can start quickly.