Find numerous Ophthalmologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Reduced Vision Treatment
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Treatment of Squint
Visual Field Testing
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Diabetic Retinopathy Lasers
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Laser Refractive Surgery
Laser Cataract Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Umah VenugopalYour feedback matters!
If you thought smoking was causing damage to only your lungs, thing again. Your eyesight, one of your most valuable possessions, is at high risk of damage because of your bad habit.
The damage done to your eyes by cigarettes happens from two sources; the toxic smoke that hangs in the air which surrounds you as you puff on the cigarettes and 4000 odd toxic substances that enter your bloodstream once you smoke. In extreme cases, smoking also causes loss in vision.
Here is a list of eye disorders and diseases, which can be caused due to smoking:
- Macular degeneration: The risk of developing Age-related Macular Degeneration is there for people above the age of fifty. In case of smokers, the chance of developing AMD is three times more than in nonsmokers. It has been proven that smokers develop the chance of AMD ten years prior to non smokers.
- Cataract: This process involves the clouding of the lens inside the eye. Cataract develops with old age, usually. The risk of developing early cataract is common among smokers, who are twice at risk of cataract than non smokers. The effect of the cataract in the case of smokers is more severe.
- Glaucoma: Glaucoma is the eye disorder where the death of nerve fiber layer behind our eyes takes place, and that results in loss of vision. The increase in pressure within the eyes leads to glaucoma. Smoking enhances the pressure in your eyes, and so smokers are at a potential risk of acquiring this disease.
- Diabetic eye diseases: A number of eye diseases are accompanied with diabetes. This can result in blindness when left ignored or not paid attention to in severe cases. Diabetic patients who are smokers are three times more at a risk of eye diseases associated with diabetes.
- Optic neuropathy: This eye disease causes sudden loss of vision to the eyes without any pain. It happens due to the disrupted flow of blood in the arteries of the eyes. Smokers are 16 times more at a risk of developing optic neuropathy at an earlier age.
- Thyroid associated eye diseases: Patients having thyroid issues or Grave's disease have disorders in their vision. Grave's disease patients who smoke tobacco are likely to develop severe eye diseases associated with the thyroid.
- Dry eye: Smoking causes irritation to the eyes and affects the tear film of the eye. Smokers and passive smokers are likely to develop dry eye disorders. Smoking causes a lot of eye diseases and disorders, and smokers are at a higher risk of acquiring eye diseases than non smokers.
I am 25 years old and I want use lens for my eyes because my eye sight is not good days whyy but its any side affect for lens in my future life tell the ans.
My child aged 6 years is having retina eye problem. Everything is ok, but he can't read from certain distance. All tests have been done. But, even erg test also failed to diagnose exact problem. But it has been diagnosed as retina problem. Probably small retina. It has been suggested another test scanning after 6 months. Is there any remedy for retina problems.
I have eye problem. Not seen clear at far dist. I consult to doctor .but he says to wearing glass .so suggest me to increase my eye vision.
I am 17 years old and my eyes sometime got red while reading or doing any thing. I have a power lens -2.5. What is its cure.
My daughter is now 6year 3 months . She is face eye elargy problem last 2 years . So how to solve this problem please suggest me.
I have red eyes for 3days what I have to do to decrease that and I had a small mark in the left of my eye from couple of days and I am getting the Head heak I think for that above mentioned reason I getting the Head heak how can I control this.
Up in the morning with a swollen right upper eyelid and cheeks on right side only. No pain or discomfort in the eye. Went to a doc he gave me the following Ivepred, LCZ, Topicid and asked to avoid sunlight. I have never had this no asthma what could this be? Some home remedies he suggested none. I had home cooked fish last night and I hv had that before. Could it be a good allergy I also had sprouts. I have never reacted to fish I also got henna done in my hair though not the first time yesterday!
Hello Doctor, I feel pressure on head even I sleep then also some time I feel fast heart beat and I feel anxious stressed form last 10 month without break done may blood test including CBC which was normal done ct brain which was again normal I have only -50 number in my eyes wears specs but still I have pressure on my head normally I sleep 6 hrs then also I get head pressure and I acidity after every 2 to 3 days. I had done my CBC which was normal so it is I have to check my hyperthyroid because many says that may be i'm suffering form hyperthyroid I have to check my thyroid can any one pls help me to diagnose thyroid cbc is ok or I have to do further test thanks.
My eye power is -9 what will I do to get my eye power back And I want to take lens of such high power what does it costs?
Sir or mam I have a certain unwanted fat on face and if I goes on defatting it through cosmetic surgery then for some time or some months it will be ok and when again due to some time face again got fatty then fattnes would again come over there is this right of right then how to rid of it please advice me sir mam my weight is 58 right now I am worried when I will got 70 then sir fatness would come and again condition would be same as earlier.
I have an red eye over an 10 days! And little bi pain in it. What should I will do for it please help me doctor?
My eye sight is getting low day by day what shall I do current power of my lens is -4.25 in right side.
I'm avinash. While driving bike some dust gone in my eyes. I washed my eyes with water but something there in eyes, so pleasetell me what I have to do.
Sir I am having eye problem. Firstly it started from June. And I took medication from doctor then it reduced and now it started again. Before that I want to precisely state few points that before June 2016 nearly 2 years I waited for colleges from Usa and I got in November 2015 and for some constraints I dropped down. At that time I forcibly put down my sleep at 11 pm and 12 am. And for consultant of Usa colleges I used to sleep at 3 or 4 am. And I got jetlagged at 3 am to 4 am and used to wake up at 11 am in the morning. And in June I got burning sensation in my eyes because of vigorous computer browsing for colleges and replying mails and for Usa universities negotiations now I got an admission in a reputed college in hyderabad. Now the problem here is from 8 am to night 12 pm I use to sit in front of computer and after 6 pm at practice time I am getting mild eye pain and headache and I can't concentrate on studies. Please give me solution and exercise if possible and food diet as well. I am a pure vegetarian. Thanks.
Diabetes can affect any organ in the body and eyes is one of the common organ affected by Diabetes. In fact Diabetes is one of the most common cause of blindness in the world.
I have come across many patients who were diabetic and lost their eye sight due to diabetes. The sad part is the doctors treating these patients had never advised their patients to get their eye checked .
In diabetic patients the eyes gets affected very early before any symptoms ( like visual blurring ) starts . By the time symptoms develop there would have occurred extensive damage to eyes that repair may not be possible always.
So my advise to all diabetic patients is to get their eye checked atleast once a year, even if there is no eye problem . By doing this annual eye check up early detection of eye problems due to diabetes happens and thus prevents major damage to eyes.