Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Uma
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. UmaYour feedback matters!
General Precautions in Swine Flu during Pregnancy
Frequent handwashing is the single most important safety precaution that is suggested.
Flu spreads when virus from an infected person's secretions like sneezing etc spreads in the environment.Occassionaly touching an infected area and then touching your nose/ eyes or mouth may allow the live virus to enter your system. Most of the time this virus gets killed by our body's defences but at times it may survive and cause flu.
Catch it, Bin it and kill it is the magic mantra:
Catch your infected secretions in a tissue/ handkerchief and promptly kill it by putting it in the dustbin and washing your hands with soap.
Hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol content are supposed to kill the virus in 60 seconds.
Keep the hard surfaces/infants toys; clean. Household cleansers should be used liberally as they can reduce the transmission rate.
Finally it is advised that in pregnancy one should avoid contact with sick people.
Use of vaccines
Till date two types of vaccines against swine flu are available.
1) Nasal spray vaccine: This cannot be taken in pregnancy.
2) Injectable vaccine: This is safe in pregnancy and it is strongly recommended that if seasonal swine flu is present then all pregnant women should take the vaccine. Please ask your doctor for more details.
WHO recommends that all pregnant women should be offered the vaccine. This will decrease their chances of contracting the disease and also protect their newborn from swine flu in the neonatal period
This vaccine does not have any serious side effects but may cause mild flu like symptoms upto 48hrs in some people but this is not flu as the vaccine does not have live virus. There may be some redness, soreness,or swelling at the injection site which disappears on its own.
Use of Drugs:
These are used only for close contacts of confirmed positive cases, like people living in the same house as the patient.
The drug (Tamiflu) is safe in pregnancy. Ask your doctor whether you should be taking it in case you are pregnant and any of your family members have been diagnosed with swine flu.
What should I do if I think I have swine flu and I'm pregnant?
You must go to your doctor immediately ;who would check you up and may want to take throat/ nose swabs for confirmation of swine flu. If she thinks you indeed have swine flu, she may start the medicines without waiting for the lab confirmation.
If swine flu is confirmed then you have to take further treatement from dedicated swine flu centers in your area.
In the mean time, stop going to your workplace and avoid unneccesary exposure to people to contain the spread of flu.
If you have a mild disease then you need to take treatment from home. You must avoid exertion and take plenty of fluids by mouth during this time.
If your symptoms are severe then you may require hospital admission to monitor you and your baby.
Can I breastfeed my baby if I have swine flu?
Yes. In fact it has been found that breastfed babies have a stronger immunity against swine flu.
If you have an active flu or you are very sick, you may express breast milk in a bottle and a healthy person can feed the baby.
You need not stop breastfeeding your baby even if you are on treatment for swine flu.
I am 35 years old, I am late married, is there any difficulty to get pregnant. Usually after 28 years or 30 years it is difficult to become pregnant. Suggest me in correct way to born healthy baby what I should do at this age. What are the nutritious I should follow. What kind of yoga, meditation I should do ?
Hi, I have daughter age 8 years and I want to know, we can safe from mensuration because this is time when some girls start her mensuration so what help us to extend the mensuration cycle and which type if food we give to her so its help in delay the mensuration cycle and please recommend the food which help for her growth.
Homeopathy is a holistic and a natural approach towards quick healing of an ailing individual. An estimate suggests that about 30% of the indian population relies solely on the homeopathic treatment for their medical complications.
People hold many misconceptions about homeopathy. Following are some of the myths of homeopathy:
- Homeopathic remedies are not scientific: Many people consider homeopathic remedies to be unscientific. However, the basis behind homeopathy is pharmacological and clinical data. Vast studies and researches have been conducted on homeopathic remedies and treatment.
- Homeopathic remedies work slowly: Many people believe that homeopathic remedies cure your medical condition very slowly. Fact is that it works very fast on diseases like cold, fever, etc. When the symptoms are chronic, then only working process is slow. This is because in chronic condition, the body takes little time to cure from inside. It is advisable to start the homeopathic remedies as soon as any symptom is seen.
- Homeopathy can cure any disorder: Some people have a strong belief that homeopathic remedies can cure any disorder or any medical condition. Fact is that this remedy is completely ineffective in case of dental issues or any condition where surgery is the only remedy.
Let us discuss some of the benefits of homeopathy:
- No side-effects: homeopathic medicines are very safe to consume as they are formulated using natural ingredients. Homeopathic pills are known to boost our immune systems and do not hamper digestion process. They do not cause allergies and suits almost everyone including children, adults and even pregnant and senior patients. National medicine agencies assure the safety and quality of homeopathy medicines as per the requirements of european union legislation and european pharmacopoeia standards. Furthermore, homeopathy medication is completely free from chemicals and synthetic materials.
- Long term gain: studies have shown that homeopathic treatment ensures long term relief, eventually leading to complete cure. It is best known to boost our immune systems and strengthen the body's defense mechanisms alongside curing our diseases.
- Inexpensive and cost effective: when compared to conventional drugs, these medicines are much less expensive. Homeopathy medicines are also sustainable as they can be stored for prolonged periods and reused, if required.
Hello Sir, Muje abi pregnency ke 8 month chalrahe hai aur mera hemoglobin 10.7 hai .kya ye theek hai. please muje kya khana chaiye suggest karenge. Muje weekness bahut ho rahi hai .please answer.
Could you ever imagine your life without herbs and spices? They, not only spice up your cuisine but your health as well. Starting right from providing the essential tinge to the various foods you cook to enhancing one's appearance, the contribution of herbs and spices is immense in an Indian household. They even help preserve cooked food for longer periods of time. Herbs and Spices have antibacterial and antiviral properties. Most of the herbs and spices are high in B-vitamins and trace minerals. For instance, true sea salt contains 93 trace minerals. Endowed with medicinal properties, they also remedy various afflictions, devoid of any side-effects.
All spices originate from plants: fruits, seeds, flowers, barks, roots and leaves.
Here is a list of spices and herbs which play a pivotal role in maintaining your health:
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon, a widely used spice, constitutes a compound called ‘cinnamaldehyde’. This composition stimulates natural production of insulin and works therapeutically on your blood sugar and cholesterol count. Besides, being a potent antioxidant, it helps alleviate inflammation too.
- Sage: Sage, a derivative of the Latin word ‘Salvere’, which means “to save”, this herb does miracles in strengthening your memory and brain power, especially for people diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.
- Peppermint: With a long list of benefits in aromatherapy (use of natural oils for improving health) and folk medicine, a massage with peppermint oil helps to soothe muscle cramps caused by irritable movement of bowels and lowers abdominal bloating resulting from troubled digestion. Furthermore, peppermint reduces nausea that is so commonly experienced after a C-section surgery.
- Turmeric: The spice rendering a yellow tint to your curry contains an ingredient called ‘curcumin’. Curcumin, a powerful antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory agent, is used to treat numerous chronic diseases such as arthritis or cancer.
- Holy Basil: Considered a sacred herb in India, Holy Basil improves the functioning of the immune system. Additionally, it cures anxiety and depression and normalizes the blood sugar levels.
- Ginger: Ginger mixed with cinnamon and sesame oil relieves stiffness and pain in the body caused by osteoarthritis (a degenerative joint disease). Its effects are similar to those of aspirin; in the way that it heals inflammation and remedies nausea.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek regulates the functioning of the insulin hormone and helps normalize blood sugar levels if consumed daily. It is said to boost libido as well, although studies are yet to validate this fact.
- Garlic: If you fall sick quite often, garlic might just be the right ingredient to incorporate into your diet, owing to its properties that help combat the common cold. It is effective in lowering high cholesterol and blood pressure too.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!