Find numerous Dentists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dentists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Braces
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. UmaYour feedback matters!
Some times my gums bleed in the morning. Which is not there after brushing. What should I do? What may be the cause?
Mouth breathing in children is very common and while a kid with open mouth might seem cute, it is not always the case. The parents need to be made aware that a child breathing through the mouth all the time is not normal and it is high time they find a way to manage it.
A little understanding of the effects of the mouth breathing habit on the child's health in general and oral health in particular can be an eye-opener for the parent. For an educated person, there are obvious symptoms, which indicate that the child is a mouth-breather.
These symptoms include:
- Dryness of the lips
- Crowding of the front teeth
- Sleeping with the mouth open
- Recurrent infections of the airways including sinusitis and middle ear infections
- Bad breath
Common causes include:
- Chronic nasal obstruction/congestion because of which the child is not able to get enough oxygen through the nose.
- Enlarged tonsils or adenoids
- Thumb or finger-sucking habit
- Recurrent respiratory infections
Effects of mouth breathing on oral health:
Mouth breathing may seem like a harmless habit, but has serious effects on the oral and dental health of the child. Some of them are discussed below.
- Dry mouth: A constantly open mouth can lead to drying up of the saliva. This in turn leads to reduced effects of saliva including the flushing effect on the bacteria and the food deposits. This leads to increased chances of tooth decay and gum diseases.
- Tooth decay: With reduced saliva, the pH remains acidic for a longer period of time, leading to increased chances of tooth decay.
- Gum diseases: Reduced amounts of saliva also leads to increased gum disease and periodontal disease as the bacteria are not removed and have a conducive environment to act upon.
- Facial development: A mouth breathing child maintains a different posture than a nose breather. This leads to a narrow and long face, flattened nose, smaller nostrils, reduced facial tone, thin upper lip, pouty upper lip, and a small lower jaw.
- Speech: An open mouth causes the tongue to thrust into the palate when talking. This leads to altered pronunciation of some sounds; especially and can cause lisping.
- Braces: Mouth breathing causes multiple challenges including prolonged treatment period, inability to close the gaps, reduced stability of the realigned teeth, and increased chances of relapse. The added complication of increased gum disease and tooth decay makes it worse. The habit needs to be corrected first before going in for braces.
If that sounds like a long list, they are not all inclusive. Early intervention in the habit can correct and negate all these effects. Talk to your dentist to know how to help your mouth breathing child.
Mujhe 3-4 mahine se ek muh ke chale(ulcer) ka problem face hota h. Iske kiye kya upauy krna chahiye. Aur 8 10 day tak rheta h?
Hi Im patient of ulcerative colitis having wysolone 10 g decreasing now having sever tooth ache can not have antibiotics or brufen can I have do dt without any issue or side effects please reply I will have RCT after my steroids are over Thx.
I am 36 yrs female, sensitivity especially on the back side of teeth to cold, is it advisable to use sensodyne and for how long. I guess sensodyne is symptomatic relief, does it repair enamel? are herbal toothpaste better than chemical based? kindly suggest.
I have ulcers problem in my mouth and I show many doctor but nothing happens. I really want to know how to stop ulcers.
Reasons for gap between teeth are: hereditary, chipped tooth, broken filling, habit- thumb sucking, incorrect swallowing reflex, using of a toothpick, improper technique of using a floss, if the jaw size is larger than the tooth size, abnormal frenum attachment, missing tooth, extra tooth, tumor growth.
Never neglect a gap between teeth as it can cause food lodgment, tooth decay, bad breath, drifting of teeth and finally loss of tooth if not treated in time. Gaps either small or large can be treated, for further assistance you can call us or visit us at the clinic.