Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sveta Amit Agarwal
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Sveta Amit AgarwalYour feedback matters!
Puberty results from activation of gonads (testes in boys/ ovaries in girls) by pituitary hormones LH and FSH. Activated gonads produce sexual hormones (testosterone in boys and estrogen in girls ) which are responsible for gender specific physical changes at puberty along with behaviour changes. Testosterone in boys is responsible for hair growth over pubic area and face with maturation of genital organs, breaking of voice, development of muscular and skeletal system. Similarly, estrogen in girls is responsible for breast development, maturation of genital organs with feminisation of body. Bone maturation with rapid height gain is seen at puberty both in boys and girls. Various systemic and hormonal disorders can result in either late or early puberty.
LATE PUBERTY -
Most of the boys show signs of puberty latest by age of 14 years and most girls start showing signs of puberty latest by age of 13 years. The earliest sign of puberty in boys is enlargement of testes and in girls is height spurt/breast development. When boys older than 14 years and girls older than 13 years don't have any signs of puberty it is called delayed puberty.
CAUSES OF DELAYED PUBERTY -
- Constitutional delay is most common cause of delayed puberty. The constitutional delay means child is not having any illness and he is going to develop puberty spontaneously at later age. But diagnosis of this condition can be made only after physical examination and investigations so that other causes of delayed puberty are ruled out.
- Functional hypogonadotropic Hypopogonadism - Delayed but spontaneous puberty develops. This condition can be seen in systemic illnesses like chronic infections, poor nutritional status etc.
- Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism - Disorders of pituitary gland result in low LH and FSH so that testes/ovaries are not stimulated and sex hormone is not produced. This can be caused by various genetic disorders, brain tumours, head injury, brain radiation etc.
- Hypergonadotropic Hypogonadism - In this scenario, LH and FSH levels are normal but gonadal are not able to produce sex hormones resulting in delayed puberty.
CONSEQUENCES OF DELAYED PUBERTY -
The absence of age specific pubertal changes cause anxiety and distress in children and their parents. These children may develop low self-esteem and are teased by their peers. Along with the poor development of physical signs of puberty, fertility is also affected in hypogonadism. And most importantly, delayed puberty can be the symptom of serious underlying illness like intracranial tumours etc. These children deserve medical attention to get best results.
Serum testosterone/estradiol with LH and FSH is done to find out where is defect i.e. whether at the level of pituitary gland or at the level of testes/ovaries. Further investigations depend on levels LH, FSH, estradiol/testosterone. Other useful investigations include prolactin, T4, TSH, ray hand for bone age, ultrasound pelvis, MRI pituitary gland etc.
After diagnosis is established, Testosterone/estrogen replacement should be started to boys older than 14 year and girls older than 13 years respectively. Hormone replacement is very effective and usually safe. In adulthood those with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism can be treated with LH and FSH to produce sperms/ eggs so that they can achieve fertility. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.
What is suvarnaprashana?
The process in which swarna bhasma (ash of gold) with other herbal extracts taken in the form of semi liquid and given to the children through their mouth is called asswarnaprashana, suvarnaprashana, swarnamritha prashana or swarna bindu prashana.
It’s a unique method of immunization which helps the children to boost up the intellectual power and produces non specific immunity in body to fight against general disorders.
It is also helpful even to the special children with autism, learning difficulties, attention deficit, hyper activity, delayed milestone etc.
For what period it should be done:
Daily dose of swarna bindu prashana should be given for minimum of 1 month to maximum of 3-6 months.
Monthly once for minimum of 30 months to maximum of 90 months on the day of pushya nakshatra (pushya nakshatra day comes once in 27 days)
Time and duration to give suvarna prashan:
Every day morning in the empty stomach or on the day of pushya nakshatra. The drops should be given by the parents to the baby in empty stomach.
Dosage of suvarna prashan drops:
Birth to 2 year – 2 drops
2 to 16 years – 4 drops
Age of children who can take suvarna prashan:
From birth up to the age of 16 years.
Benefits of suvarna prashan:-
1. Immune system towards diseases becomes stronger.
2. Increases physical strength. And growth of the baby.
3. Grasping power, analysis power and recall memory becomes sharper.
4. Improves digestive power.
5. Tones up skin colour and texture.
6. Protects the baby from different kinds of allergies.
Importance of suvarna prashan:-
Maharshi kashyapa says suvarna prashana improves intelligence, digestive fire and physical power. It gives long, spiritual, holy and saintly life. It gives rejuvenative effects and tone ups the skin. It improves immunity in a way so that the child is prevented from bacterial and viral infections. Regular use of suvarnaprashana helps in such a way that, the child gets best immunity to defeat diseases. Regular use of suvarnaprashana make child very intelligent and he can remember all heard by him.
Mode of action of suvarna prashan
Gold is considered as very precious in ayurveda. When swarna is converted into swarna bhasma as explained in ayurveda, it would possesses following properties:-
- Swarna bhasma has moisturizing & unctuous effect on body.
- It is madhura, rejuvinative and immunity booster.
- Improves complexion and growth of the body.
- Does detoxification of the body.
- Has ability to treat different fevers like vishajwara, aantra jwara and general weakness.
- It has been proved that swarna bhasma possesses anti oxidants, anti depressants, anti cancerous, antibacterial anti rheumatoid property.
- It also acts as nervine stimulant.
As we know a human brain grows rapidly in 1 to 16 years of life. Swarna bhasma accelerate the growth of brain and boost up its utilization capacity if swarna prashana is done during this phase.
Other drugs in it help to build immunity of the baby.
Also it has many benefits like improvement in concentration, grasping capacity, digestion and complexion.
Swarna bindu prashana underwent series of clinical analysis by many ayurvedic doctors and other associated hospitals. And we have found excellent results in increasing immunity and general health in a normal healthy baby.
Presentation of suvarna prashana drops:
Swarnaprashana drops are available in 5ml, 10ml presentation.
How to store the drops:
Drops should be kept in room temperature and should not be exposed to direct sunlight. Note that it should not be stored in refrigerator. Swarna prashana drops can be used for 5 years when stored in shade and in room temperature.