Find numerous Allergist/Immunologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Allergist/Immunologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Allergist/Immunologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Sujatha RameshYour feedback matters!
Upper respiratory infection (URI) is a condition, which involves illness, mainly caused by critical infection in the upper respiratory tract. This region includes the pharynx, larynx, nose and sinus. This infection causes diseases, such as tonsillitis (tonsils get inflamed), pharyngitis (causes sore throat) sinusitis (nasal passage becomes inflamed), laryngitis (voice box in your throat gets inflamed) and common cold.
Causes of upper respiratory infection (URI):
- Both virus and bacteria cause upper respiratory infection (URI). The most common form of virus causing this infection is known as 'rhinovirus.'
- The immune system of young adults and children are often very vulnerable. Hence, they are more likely to develop upper respiratory tract infection.
- URI is also contagious and airborne in nature. So if a person comes in contact with an infected person suffering from URI, he/she is likely to develop this infection.
- Not washing hands before meals can also cause upper respiratory infection because the virus can be transferred easily to the mouth and can travel into your system.
- If you have any lung problem or heart disease, you are more likely to be susceptible to upper respiratory infection.
- Those who already have inflamed tonsils can trigger tonsillitis by drinking any cold or spicy beverage like ice-creams or cold milkshakes.
- Exposure to some flu or cold can cause pharyngitis. It can also be caused by second hand smoking.
- Birth defects or structural defects in the nasal cavity or nasal polyps can cause sinusitis. Sometimes the inside part of the nose may get swollen due to common cold and block your ducts. This is a common cause for sinusitis.
Symptoms of acute upper respiratory infection:
- Congestion in the lungs or nasal area.
- Whooping cough
- Running nose due to common cold.
- Feelings of fatigue and lethargy throughout the day.
- Your body will start aching without engaging in any physical exercise.
- You can also lose consciousness in severe respiratory tract infections.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Oxygen levels in blood drop down drastically.
Sometimes in worse cases, acute upper respiratory tract infection (URI) can also cause respiratory failure, respiratory arrest and congestive heart failure. Therefore, it is necessary to book an appointment with a doctor as soon as you start experiencing the above symptoms. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pulmonologist.
I got bit from dog, a little scratch with small amount of blood. Do I need to take rabies injection? Very recently dog already taken rabies injection. And I just have the little pain, and some shake.
I am suffering from asthma from childhood, during season change I suffer more from this problem and take medication asthalin and budecort. I want to ask what preventions should be taken so that I am healthy in future?
I am suffering from asthma since two years and not able to breathe properly at winter nights so please help me.
The risk of rabies reduces by about 50% by just washing of wounds and application of antiseptics.
The maximum benefit of the wound washing is obtained when the fresh wound is cleaned immediately. It is important to remove saliva containing rabies virus at the site of bite by physical or chemical means. This can be done by prompt and gentle thorough washing with ordinary soap or detergent and flushing the wound with running tap water for at least 15 minutes.
Washing of the wound must be done as long as the wound is raw irrespective of the time elapsed since the exposure. Care must be taken not to disturb the scab, if formed.
After washing with water and soap, disinfectants like Povidone Iodine or Surgical Spirit must be applied.
In extraneous circumstances, other alcoholic (>40%) preparations like Rum, Whisky or aftershave lotion may be applied on the wound. If soap or antiviral agent is not available, the wound should be thoroughly washed with water.