Find numerous Allergist/Immunologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Allergist/Immunologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Allergist/Immunologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sujatha Prasad
Submit a review for Dr. Sujatha PrasadYour feedback matters!
Food is a very important part of your life as it provides all the necessary nutrients required by your body and is essentially, the fuel for all things to function within. However, many people may have aversion to certain kinds of food as it causes adverse reactions within their body. Let’s look at some of the common food allergies that people commonly report and how to identify them.
Allergies v/s Intolerances: It is important to note here that there is a significant difference between food sensitivities or intolerances and allergies. Sensitivities or intolerances cause adverse effects on your body inevitably when you consume certain types of foods. One such example is diarrhea, caused by ingesting cheese or milk by lactose intolerant people. However, allergies are caused when the immune system within your body mistakes harmless food as something that might harm you and thus tries to protect you from its effects. This results in reactions within your body which may be very painful and problematic.
Common foods that trigger allergies
Some of the common foods that trigger allergies are:
3. Other forms of tree nuts such as almonds, walnuts etc.
4. Gluten rich grains such as wheat, rye barley, oats
5. Certain types of fish
7. Soy products
8. Milk (allergic reactions mostly occur within children)
Some other foods which have been known to cause allergies in rare cases are:
1. Meats such as pork, chicken, beef, mutton
2. Corn and corn products
4. Certain spices such as mustard, garlic and coriander among others
5. Certain seeds such as poppy, sunflower, or sesame
Symptoms of allergies
In certain cases, the allergies might manifest immediately, almost in a matter of minutes, within the body. However, in many cases, it may take a few hours for it to show up. The symptoms may range from mild to quite severe. Mild symptoms will make it quite hard to actually diagnose it as a food allergy.
Some of the milder symptoms could be:
1. Hives or eczema could form on your skin which may be very itchy. These would look like raised swollen areas that could be red, inflamed, and dry.
2. The inside of your mouth and ears may become itchy
3. You could suddenly develop a runny or a blocked nose and start sneezing or coughing.
4. Your eyes may become watery, red and itchy
5. You may develop a funny taste in your mouth
6. Others symptoms may include throwing up and even loose motions
Other severe forms of allergies can be caused mostly by shellfish and peanuts and other forms of nuts and fish. Symptoms in such cases would look like:
1. Uneven heartbeat
2. Difficulty in swallowing and breathing
3. Feeling of extreme weakness, confusion
4. Passing out or feeling light headed
5. The tongue, throat or lips may swell up
6. Chest pain
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
I have allergy for dust so what should I do and get safe our self give some suggestions to control my allergy.
Got some health problems like motions and cold what should I have to do some natural and here a problem with dust.
According to my age 27. My immunity power is less because I will not run much as compare to others. What I will do for strength..
I am suffering from asthma since 10 years. I do not know what to. I do not able to breath . At night I am not sleep just sit and take breath. Please help me help me.
Food allergies have been on the rise and many food items have been identified as potential allergens. Common items like citrus fruits, coconut, peanuts, tree nuts, gluten can cause allergies. You don't need to stay away from your favorite dish just because it contains one of the allergy-causing ingredients. You can customize your dish with suitable substitutions and enjoy your food without worrying.
- Peanut - Peanut is one of the most common allergy-causing items. It has severe effects on people who are allergic to it. On its consumption, the throat of allergic person swells up, blocking the airways which can lead to anaphylaxis. So, for people who are allergic to this grain legume, peanut -laden cuisines like Thai food, peanut butter, and jelly are all prohibited. But you can replace peanut with sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, and hemp which are available in butter form as well.
- Citrus fruits - Lime, orange, lemon, and grapefruit have been seen to cause discomfort in both adolescents and adults. There are so many citrus-flavored drinks that it becomes difficult to find a nice harmless drink. But, if you are allergic to these fruits you can go for strawberry, raspberry, and apple-flavored drinks, which are easily available.
- Coconut - Coconut is used in place of milk in vegan recipes; it can replace milk in food items like ice cream, sweet drinks, and curries. If you are allergic to coconut, substitute it with rice, soy, oats milk and even soaked cashews.
- Wheat - Wheat is not only off limits to people with celiac disease who have to lead a gluten free life but for some who are allergic to wheat specifically. Pasta, bread and many other kinds of foods are made up of wheat, but you can opt for tapioca or rice flour which is also used to make such items.
Related Tip: 3 Foods to Avoid If You Have Hyperthyroidism?